Viper Brakes and rebuilding the front end.

-

Michaeluser

Reaction score
I am looking at rebuilding my front end and in the process ugrading the steering and brakes.

1. LCA reinforce and use greaseable bushings
2. Use an adjustable UCA, i.e., Magnum Force or ? Make my own?
3. I want to upgrade the current discs to Viper 13" rotors and 4 piston calipers.
Does the 73-up A body drum spindles use the bigger ball joint?
4. Adjustable strut rods? Worth it or not?
5. I have PS and like it, but was wondering if anyone uses FFI on their cars? Good? Bad? hate it? Suggestions
6. Lastly anyone convert to coil-over instead of the factory torsions?

My Duster has reinforced LCAs and Magnum Force uppers with the heim ends. I am very happy with both.

I also used adjustable strut rods and don't know if they are worth it, but I do appreciate the beef. I would definitely stay away from the aluminum ones unless your car is drag race only.

Lastly, the torsion bar front end is an essential part of what makes a Mopar a Mopar. The entire unibody is designed around this suspension, with specific reinforcement points, gusseting etc. Some of our cars have accumulated several hundred thousand miles using this design, has anyone seen a coil-over conversion with high mileage or extended use? If you're going to go with coil-overs, why not drop in a small block Shivvie or Fjord at the same time?

Hey, it's just an opinion!!

Yeah I get your point, but we don't blink twice when changing the rear to coil-over for drag racing. I like the coils for the simplicity and ease of header install.

I would be concerned about the long term durability of coil overs that use the stock upper shock mount. The systems with a seperate mount for the top of the coil over should be OK.

As fas as torsion bars being a mopar thing; i have worked on GM's, Toyotas and Nissans that have torsion bars, they certainly aren't exclusive to mopar products.

Bill has AlterK's with over 60,000 miles on them now..............It's been around for like 10yrs now and never seen a reported problem with durability, has anyone else??

Buy an AlterK and it takes care of all your questions and them some. It uses it's own upper coil mount and doesnt use the factory hole inner fender mount.

Regarding point #3, yes, the '73 up drum brake spindle uses the larger ball joint. I just added the Viper disc brake upgrade to my Scamp.

As for point #5, I have a Firm Feel steering box in my big block 'Cuda, and it's night and day superior to standard Chrysler power steering. I used to be "white knuckle" on the highway with stock power steering--absolutely NO feel. Firm Feel boxes come in three levels of firmness, and #2 feels great.

Regarding point #3, yes, the '73 up drum brake spindle uses the larger ball joint. I just added the Viper disc brake upgrade to my Scamp.

As for point #5, I have a Firm Feel steering box in my big block 'Cuda, and it's night and day superior to standard Chrysler power steering. I used to be "white knuckle" on the highway with stock power steering--absolutely NO feel. Firm Feel boxes come in three levels of firmness, and #2 feels great.

Thanks. I will check into Viper Kit. Do you use the standard LCA with sway bar connects or do you use the bolt on version.

I was thinking about going with a Unisteer rack-n-pinion but when I spoke with the tech line and got a "we still working on it" which is understandable, I am just impatient.

-
Back