Viscous fan question???

-

951mopar

Reaction score
So last week at the Spring Fling I bought a fan for a good price P/N 2863216. I got home and cleaned it up mounted a new Hayden 2765 clutch fan on it. I installed my new aluminum radiator and the new fan and noticed that one of the blades was bent and was hitting the radiator. I took it off and bent it back. I just did not feel right about using it, due to fact that it is more than likely out of balance.

So I got to looking for a new fan. I see that Mancini racing has a 6 blade viscous fan set and it looks to be the same one the Bouchillon has, but Bouchillon sell the fan by itself. However, Bouchillon has a disclaimer stating that this fan is to be used with Bouchillon thermal clutch only. I do not know if that is a sales gimmick or not. To the point, I was wondering if anyone has purchased this fan and used the Hayden 2765 clutch fan with it. The fan is an 18 fan 1/2 inch smaller than the 2862316.

I wonder why the one that you bought is now out of balance? The radial balance has very little or nothing to do with slight forward or aft variations in blade angles. The blades angles MIGHT effect the loading on clutch and cause a light wobbling torque there. Did you have to bend it a lot?

I had to bend the blade back about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch. It is still not quite even with the others. I do not want have it unbalanced and ruin the water pump. The motor is a new build a do not want to take a chance.

I'm really wondering if the 6 blade fan from mancini or bouchillon will accept the 2765 clutch fan.

I wouldn't use it. There could be a crack in the metal. You don't want it flying apart at 5,000 RPM!

Sounds like it was bent to start with? I would not worry on the balance on the pump; as noted, the question is more if it is safe anymore.

I wouldn't use it. There could be a crack in the metal. You don't want it flying apart at 5,000 RPM!
I agree with this ^^ bending metal and bending it back could cause a slight fracture.

I can't speak to the fan you have, but the factory fans I'm looking at are not gonna crack with a little tweaking. These are not the tinny shitmade aftermarket crap. These stock fans are substantial, and aligning one of these blades is not going to crack anything, it's US steel.

I'm not talking about repairing a crash bent fan outta a wreck, but a single blade outta true can be straighted by adjusting the heavy metal attachment piece where it connect to the hub. Dont try to bend the flexible blade itself.

I speak from experience..

jmo

Last edited:
i think i'd agree with inertia but i have seen some fans
in use that are so rusted i would destroy them before i
would let someone use them.Base your decision on the
condition of the part...

I will be ordering a fan from bouchillon and I have a new Hayden 2765 clutch fan for it. No need to chance it. The motor was built by Brian at IMM do not need to replace anything after just a few months. Thanks for everyone's input.

Last edited:
I got the new fan in 1/2 inch to the radiator
20160510_173711.jpg

-
Back