Viscous Fan Won't Fit

-
Thanx Mullinax, I gave it a high effort. Hope this helps with anybody else trying to fit a fan to a 73 Duster. Seems like anything I buy for this car has to be "made to fit".:)

Dang....Why not just use a Hayden 2765 ?

Fans are balanced as well arent they ?

Dang....Why not just use a Hayden 2765 ?

Fans are balanced as well arent they ?

Because my radiator tank is over 3-1/2" wide, I don't think that Jag clutch would pull it close enough to the engine with that fan. My fan height was 1-1/2" versus jag at approx. 1.09". I removed close to an inch off the blade tips. Pretty sure the jag unit was not the answer on this car. Also my fan is close to the half in half out rule with the shroud on the car now. 215049 was the right one for this set up.

Yes, all fans are balanced before you cut them up:)

radwidth.JPG

The fins do clear the rad tank by a good 1/2". I tried flexing them into the rad and they don't move that much. Mounting it was a snap with the open holes on the new clutch. I just put one screw in the hole closest to the floor and let the clutch hang on it so I could grab the top hole with another screw. There is just over half an inch clearance between clutch and core too. The water pump screws were dorman units, another advance auto purchase, they are 5/16-18's, 3/4inch long. The slant six ones were way too long. For reference they are the same thread size as the fan clutch screws in case you think of them while buying an over the counter clutch and forget the thread size.

fantop.JPG

waterpumpscrew.JPG

waterpumpscrewsize.JPG

The slant six shroud has a 20" hole in it for the fan but with it flipped upside down to line up with the v-8 water pump centerline is a tad off center as it was with the all steel fan. I wasn't happy with the clearances so I moved the radiator up by loosening the 4 mounting bolts and lifting up on it, gained about 1/8" at the top by doing that.

shroudclearance.JPG

Some of my many fans,heh, heh. Couldn't resist it. These are the three fans I monkeyed with over the last ten years. The slanting six on the far left, center is the now modified 4140442 fan that is on the car and a 20" flex fan sent to me by some guy in SD that I met on allpar who claimed it fit a 74 318 Duster. Maybe with a 22" shroud it would fit.

As you can see the slanting six fan and the viscous unit occupy about the same space, the 4140422 is about 1/4" larger in diameter. The slant is right at 18". It is an steel piece too with seven blades, it did not feel that much lighter than the viscous unit with aluminum fan blades and housing.

shroud.JPG

many fans.JPG

slantsixfran.JPG

clutchfan.JPG

20inchflex.JPG

Here are a couple shots showing how close the steel slant six piece is compared to the viscous unit. Diameter and fan pitch are about the same. The steel one does not flex obviously and has seven blades instead of five. I once took this fan off my slant six and drove it without the fan, could not believe how much quieter the car was. I always thought all that blender racket was from the engine.

Hopefully now my 360 won't sound like a slant six in cruise mode anymore! Since I just put 3:55's under her that fixed fan made allot more racket than it did with 2:76's.

slanttop.JPG

slantsixfanwithv.JPG

fancomplete.JPG

looks good....what do you have for clearence on the clutch 1/2"? if so that is about right as it is what i have i do belive. should work fine. if you look around and happen to find a real 340 shroud for that car i would pick it up so you won't have to do the flip and the lifting for clearance. i figure if it ever shifted it might catch the blades as it is , and that could be a disaster!

Because my radiator tank is over 3-1/2" wide, I don't think that Jag clutch would pull it close enough to the engine with that fan. My fan height was 1-1/2" versus jag at approx. 1.09". I removed close to an inch off the blade tips. Pretty sure the jag unit was not the answer on this car. Also my fan is close to the half in half out rule with the shroud on the car now. 215049 was the right one for this set up.

Yes, all fans are balanced before you cut them up:)

I had the same clearance issues as you.After doing some research, the 2765 seemed to be the answer. I teamed it up with the fan that comes in the Mopar Performance package.

It would have been interesting to see if the Hayden 2765 would have worked with your car.. The 2765 has the shortest fan height of them all. Your rad sticks out 3 1/2", mine sticks out 4".

Not trying to disrespect your work,actually it is what hot-rodding is about,and I can appreciate that.Just trying to show options if you have clearance issues with a clutch fan.

Take care.
John

faucet pics 771.jpg

faucet pics 776.jpg

looks good....what do you have for clearence on the clutch 1/2"? if so that is about right as it is what i have i do belive. should work fine. if you look around and happen to find a real 340 shroud for that car i would pick it up so you won't have to do the flip and the lifting for clearance. i figure if it ever shifted it might catch the blades as it is , and that could be a disaster!

I have about 1/2" clearance between clutch and rad. A v/8 shroud would be nice as that slant six shroud is tight. I can still grind and shift the shroud a bit more than I did ten years ago for the fixed fan.

I had the same clearance issues as you.After doing some research, the 2765 seemed to be the answer. I teamed it up with the fan that comes in the Mopar Performance package.

It would have been interesting to see if the Hayden 2765 would have worked with your car.. The 2765 has the shortest fan height of them all. Your rad sticks out 3 1/2", mine sticks out 4".

Not trying to disrespect your work,actually it is what hot-rodding is about,and I can appreciate that.Just trying to show options if you have clearance issues with a clutch fan.

Take care.
John

No offense taken John. That looks really good and also really tight. Is that a small block engine? Looks like the same tank as my radiator. I wish I had tried the 2765 first but I suspect maybe something is different because that jag unit is less than 1/2" shorter than the one I have. I suspect that pep boys radiator has a much wider lip where the tank meets the rad. I wish I had a clear pic to show you of it. Just the lip sticks out maybe 1/4". I remember when I bought it the flange stuck out more than the six cylinder one. Mine is also closer to 4" wide than it is 3-1/2.

Without A/C I guess you don't have to deal with the hassle of a shroud either.

The jag unit comes with an adapter for the smaller .63 snout?

Do you have 1/2" clearance at the core? I can't imagine these drivetrains shift more than a 1/8" as that could bind up the throttle linkage.

My clutch has 1/2" clearance now and if the blades weren't trimmed they would hit. Scroll back up and look at my blade shot without the shroud and see how the fan clutch is about where yours is in relation to the core and look how close my blades are to the tank even when trimmed. What year is you car? I bet those rads are different. How tall is your radiator? I noticed your fan pulley has a longer snout than mine too, how come mine is shorter? I had no idea there were so many things on these cars that can be different.
I attached a pic showing how the relation of the tank to the blade height. Does yours look like that? The tank protrudes about 3/4" from rad core.

bladeheight.JPG

No offense taken John. That looks really good and also really tight. Is that a small block engine? Looks like the same tank as my radiator. I wish I had tried the 2765 first but I suspect maybe something is different because that jag unit is less than 1/2" shorter than the one I have. I suspect that pep boys radiator has a much wider lip where the tank meets the rad. I wish I had a clear pic to show you of it. Just the lip sticks out maybe 1/4". I remember when I bought it the flange stuck out more than the six cylinder one. Mine is also closer to 4" wide than it is 3-1/2.

Without A/C I guess you don't have to deal with the hassle of a shroud either.

The jag unit comes with an adapter for the smaller .63 snout?

Do you have 1/2" clearance at the core? I can't imagine these drivetrains shift more than a 1/8" as that could bind up the throttle linkage.

My clutch has 1/2" clearance now and if the blades weren't trimmed they would hit. Scroll back up and look at my blade shot without the shroud and see how the fan clutch is about where yours is in relation to the core and look how close my blades are to the tank even when trimmed. What year is you car? I bet those rads are different. How tall is your radiator? I noticed your fan pulley has a longer snout than mine too, how come mine is shorter? I had no idea there were so many things on these cars that can be different.
I attached a pic showing how the relation of the tank to the blade height. Does yours look like that? The tank protrudes about 3/4" from rad core.

Small block 360, 1970 Dart.
The fan you have sticks up pretty high.Looks like it sticks up past the rad top.Possibly big block fan? Mine sits below the rad top.Im looking for a shroud,has to be the correct one though (2998325).

The 2765 does have a spacer that comes with it,goes over the water pump snout.Not sure about the pulleys.I think the reason your blades are so close the the tank are a couple of things. Wrong fan (big block?),looks to be to tall. Clutch fan is to long. If you like it and it works for you,thats all that matters.8)

Thanx for the reply Johnny Dart. I think the fan came off of a slant six Aspen, it's been too long since I picked it up at the boneyard. My reasoning for picking it was if it had enough room on a slant six it should fit my v/8 conversion. Fan is 18-1/4" diameter, the same diameter I think for the 4120758, so fans should be physically very close in dimensions, pitch from pics looks to be the same, but are in fact different part numbers so something has got to be different. I don't think any clutch fan unless notched will fit my car, might be a 73-up thing.

Thanx again for your replies, I love that sublime green color, my wife keeps suggesting that color when I go for a repaint. Got any pictures posted of your dart on here?

Well they say an A-body is an A-body so.........

I got a couple pics of the car on here.

faucet pics 751.jpg

faucet pics 756.jpg

faucet pics 738.jpg

Well they say an A-body is an A-body so.........

I got a couple pics of the car on here.

Drop dead gorgeous car!!!!!!!!! If I cleaned mine up that good it would never get driven:)

BTW, I drove the Duster into work this morning and the car is much quieter with that viscous fan. No shroud rubs or weird vibrations, I guess I pulled it off. I guess the last vestige of the slant six is gone now, no more blender sounds.

I always wondered if that rad that Pep Boys gave me for my Duster was the "correct" one. It was the same tank and core dimension as my six cylinder piece with air, only difference was placement of the the radiator hose inlet/outlets. It's a 2 row unit so it cools just fine. I suspect pep boys showed this v/8 rad with H/D cooling for most applications at the time I bought it, a generic approach which worked for most cars.

I pulled some specs off the Advance auto site and they show the 17x22 rad for a 70 Dart, the same rad I have in my 73 Duster, the correct rad they show for my car is actually a 18X26 for an A/C V/8 car with H/D cooling. The top tank is shorter so most if not all of that extra 1" of core height is at the top of the rad right where my fan could have used it. Either unit should bolt right in and fit the hoses and shroud but one has more fan clearance at the tank than the other. The 18X26 has a narrower upper tank too which will protrude less from the core.

If I had the 18X26 I may not have had to touch that fan.
Here are the specs for the two different rads:

433499_la[1].jpg

433526_la[1].jpg

My Pep boys radiator is going on 11 yrs old and this evening I noticed it seeping a little coolant where the core meets the top tank. I dug out the receipt and low and behold they had special ordered this rad for me way back when and they wrote 72 Duster on the order ticket instead of 73. Part number they gave me was in fact a 433526, the one for a 72 duster.

Ain't that a *****, I cut up this damn fan to fit this dopey radiator and now that it needs replacing I can get the correct one for a 73.

I guess if Pep Boys honors their lifetime warranty I can get another 72 one for free. Anybody want to lay odds on whether I can collect on it? I still have the receipt and store number on the order ticket from March 1998.

My Pep boys radiator is going on 11 yrs old and this evening I noticed it seeping a little coolant where the core meets the top tank. I dug out the receipt and low and behold they had special ordered this rad for me way back when and they wrote 72 Duster on the order ticket instead of 73. Part number they gave me was in fact a 433526, the one for a 72 duster.

Ain't that a *****, I cut up this damn fan to fit this dopey radiator and now that it needs replacing I can get the correct one for a 73.

I guess if Pep Boys honors their lifetime warranty I can get another 72 one for free. Anybody want to lay odds on whether I can collect on it? I still have the receipt and store number on the order ticket from March 1998.

I hope they do but don't get your hopes up to much.

I never have understood what the heck limited lifetime warranty is? If it is a lifetime why is it limited? Lifetime of me or the part? LOL!

-
Back