Vk valiant 142 weiand project

-
Nice E.T,great trap speed .Sweet car.Would like to see more,thank you.

Every one ,hates these little blowers. Seen these,little guys. They absolutely work,on mild combos

i see a lot on street rods,,,a friend of mine has a nice one for sale,,,waiting to hear about this combo

Ok I will list below the engine and car combo as it is at the moment. There have been a few changes made along the way working through various problems and of course there are a few more modifications planned.

-factory 2 bolt main 360 block bored 0.030"
-factory cast 360 crank ground .010"/.010"
-factory rods with ARP bolts
-TRW forged pistons with moly rings 8.8 to 1 comp
-Canton deep sump with HV mellings pump
-Power bond steel balancer and B&M flex plate
-Indy X RHS LA style iron heads with 2.02" inlets and bowl job
-Crane hydraulic roller cam HR238 (#699641) with Morel lifters
-double row chain, Crane pushrods and roller rockers
-Modman manifold, 1/2" adaptor and 142 Weiand blower 97% overdriven
-1050cfm Quick fuel 4150 carb supplied by holley blue pump and reg
-factory electronic dissy recurved with crane HI6 box and coil
-1 5/8" tri y headers with hotdog 2.5"id mufflers
-32 deg total timing with AFR in the high 11's
-4psi boost with 6500rpm shifts
-727 trans with 10" convertor and cheetah valvebody
-4.11 geared 9" with L60 American Racer tyres
-Caltrac bars with Calvert front and rear shocks

thats about it.

No its a small block chevy kit that was a waranty claim that i got from the Australian distributor. I cant remember the actual part number of the kit but we used everything from the kit apart from the intake manifold. I did have to do some machining mods to the crank pulley etc. When i say waranty claim i mean it was damaged when pulled out of the box from new. The rotors had rubbed inside the case and were scuffed up towards the rear of the unit. My understanding is that these blowers are run on a machine and tested when new at the factory. Well it must have been tested right on smoko because it was boxed up and sent here damaged. Turns out when i clocked the rotors they were machined on a taper larger toward the rear. So i just remachined them in the lathe to square them up and put it all back together which balanced the bottom clearances to the case and away we went. Ive checked it out a few times after getting it up to temp and running it at the track and nothing has rubbed inside again.

To begin with i was using a single 4bbl manifold with an adaptor plate bolted to it. It was very low and restrictive and was much like an early factory 273 single plane intake. The car did run 117mph on the 1/4 with it but it had tiny runners and it was making 9 lbs of boost as measured from under the blower. Now we have the Indy ModMan LA manifold on it with a 1/2" adaptor plate and the boost dropped to 4lbs and the mph went up to 118.67 on the 1/4 with no other changes.Not very happy with Indy though they send this manifold half way around the world to me
Here in Australia and i get it out the box and its got a crack in the valley all the way along
between the runner pairs. Still trying to get a replacement out of them.

I'm impressed with the numbers. I had a B&M 162 on a 360 (using a bill laney intake) and it made about 7psi, but it was a pretty tame set-up in terms of cams and heads. With a stock converter and 3.5 gears it pushed my Charger to a 12.7@108mph on 235 kelly charger tyres. That was 15 years ago. Seeing your set-up makes me want to do it again but more like yours in terms of performance. Nice work.

A great thread, and a very pretty car. The green,and the Welds take me back.

Hey thanks for the comments fellas. I tell you ive come close to selling the car a few times over the years but in the end I just couldn't part with it. Its an original E57 360cid Regal and was a nice clean one owner car when it was built back in the late 80's so if it takes you back that would be
right because that's when it was built.
I will try and load a better/clearer engine bay shot as I had trouble the first night due to file size I think.

View attachment BAY2.jpg

I cant work out how to put any bigger or clearer picture up. I give up.

Hey Abodybomber what is it with Indy they seem good on the phone but they never do what they say they are going to do.

VEH55 NICE SETUP!
You can overdrive that blower to about 15, 000RPM.

Boost is a measure of restriction , 9psi dropping to 4psi with the intake swap indicates less restriction, hence the better MPH with less boost PSI.

Swap to a smaller pulley and enjoy....

Hey thanks miradamegacab yes the reason I replaced the first intake manifold with the Indy modman was due to what I considered was the high boost reading. With the blower overdrive at 97% over from the info I had it shouldn't have made that kind of boost. Anyways it worked out ok boost dropped and MPH went up but I think we ran out of blower capacity at the same time as the MPH didnt go up much. The blower speed was around 12800rpm as I was taking the engine to 6500rpm through the gears and at the time I was needing to know what the safe blower speed limit was. After searching around and finally getting a copy of that old B&M blower tech manual from the 80s from a friend it seems that it's generally accepted that 15000rpm is the practical limit. So based on this I've just swapped the blower pulley to the 2.66" diameter one and that should put me at around 14600 blower rpm @ 6500 engine rpm. So now I'm concerned a little about the blower thrashing the air and creating excessive heat, what are your thoughts on helping out this situation is there anything we can do?

The drop in PSI and the MPH staying pretty much the same is proved to be a restriction of flow in the manifold.
How much PSI are you seeing now with the smaller pulley?
I wouldn't worry about over heating the intake charge. If you can't get high octane fuel, maybe add water/ meth injection.
Or if you want more power and want a really cool, dense intake charge, whack it with a 100 shot of Nitrous Oxide. Use a WOT micro switch on the carb for activation. Nitrous will be at -125* F and will add roughly 33% more oxygen.
Now might be a good time to ask, what head gaskets sre you using?

Awesome! I love these little roots blowers! I'm in the middle of building a short block for my B&M 162. Keep us updated.

-
Back