Voltage regulator

-

halifaxhops

It's going to get stupid around here!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am going to upgrade to a 100 a alt when I do the 440 install and am confused on all the different voltage regulators. I see there are adjustable ones with "red" plugs. Yes they are for adjusting the voltage and that is what I want. Any chance any one know if these are the one?

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/171316432298?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT"]2 Chrysler Voltage Regulators with Red Plug | eBay[/ame]

I've never seen one that was adjustable.

There are a few out there that has a small what looks like a potentiometer on it. I know there are different voltages, Are they identified by plug color? I will try to find a pic of the adjustable ones. Thanks you guys are the best! Unchartered territory?

How about this thing.....

12 VOLT CHRYSLER ADJUSTABLE VOLTAGE REGULATOR
ITEM# C8313 (same as C8312 except adjustable)

For Chrysler External Regulated Round or Square Back alternators on Cars, Trucks, Industrial Applications with 2 Field connections.

Great for increasing voltage for brighter lighting. Just turn the dial and adjust as needed.

Features:

* 14.0 Voltage Setting, A-Circuit Neg. Grd. Solid State.
* Red Plug Connector.
* Adjustable Voltage up to 15.1V.

also this one
[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrysler-Voltage-Regulator-/161134139669?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item258457d915&vxp=mtr"]Chrysler Voltage Regulator | eBay[/ame]

I sent the seller a q asking him how it adjusts. When I get it I will post it.

Im still trying to figure out why you want a 100 amp alt ?
Unless youve upgraded your 40 year old wiring, your in for a world of hurt.
What are you planning on running electric wise ?

The eBay linked VR looks to be a fixed voltage; the descriptoin says "Vset is 14.3V". That means fixed setting to me. But the pictured one's description says both ...

The only adjustable ones I have ever seen are the old style analog/mechanical ones like this.
I don't see why a person couldn't make and electronic style adjustable with a rheostat though.
Should be pretty easy if you trick the regulator into thinking the power is low.

Attachments

• regulator.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 373
Im still trying to figure out why you want a 100 amp alt ?
Unless youve upgraded your 40 year old wiring, your in for a world of hurt.
What are you planning on running electric wise ?

Electric fan, electric Fuel pump, while it is still a six messing around with HHO which takes 30A to see what I can do with mileage, The alternator right now is maxed out when the HHO goes on. That's the main reason. This is a old mans car sleeper and found the craziest cb with a telephone handset to go with the dual trunk antennas, just for fun might throw in a linea.I had the HHO on my kids 93 Mustang and he got 39+ with a 2.4, Not going in with the 440. All new wiring with the new stuff and a separate fuse block. Got it might as well play when it still has the 6 in it, plus it gets me away from the wife to drink my customers trades (I have a small Hop farm), yes I am retired from a real job living a dream till my liver gives out!

You don't NEED an adjustable regulator. Ninety percent of the time when batteries run "high" in voltage or outgas excessively it's one of the following problems:

1.. One Numba WHON, top of the list is voltage drop in the ignition harness, that is, the battery voltage supplying the IGN terminal of the regulator is NOT the same as "battery." ANY drop in this circuit ADDS to the regulator set point voltage

2....Right along "with" is the voltage regulator ground point is NOT at the same voltage as the battery ground. Regulators MUST be properly grounded.

3...In some cases a bad or going bad battery, IE aged, sulfated, etc

4....This is LAST. It's here for a REASON. That's right folks in LAST place is a faulty regulator. Regulators.........that is electronic ones...........RARELY regulate "high." They almost always either work correctly or not at all. It IS important to check them AT OPERATING TEMPERATURE. They are temp compensated internally, and will not run at the same voltage cold as they do warm.

I have an adjustable one that was in a car I bought. The multi-turn adjustment pot is on the back side, sticking out if the potting material. To adjust you will want to run a ground to the case and use a voltmeter to measure battery voltage and set to 13.8V for wet lead acid, 13.5V for gel battery. The battery should be charged. Make adjustment near 75F, temperature compensations decrease voltage at high temperatures, increase some for colder. Monitor battery voltage and IGN Blue wire, any difference over a few tenths of a volt, is undesired voltage drop at bulkhead, wiring and other connections that must be addressed.

Wow, still amazed at the knowledge on this site. Thanks guys/Gals got my answer!!!!

Del's correct-his method helped me chase an overcharge condition on my Scamp-turns out the voltage loss in the ignition circuit is the culprit, but I elected to run an ignition relay circuit to run full battery voltage to the voltage regulator rather than swapping the ignition switch...worked like a champ...only cost me like $12 for the relay kit. Worked out well for the HEI ignition mod too.

Here is what I got back from the vendor.

This C8313 does have an adjustment. On the back is a little white plastic screw,----------- turn it very slightly
You can get these without the adjustment screw, and the tech dept, orignialy thought I was asking about it.

@halifaxhops, Adjustable voltage regulators always come with a small tunable potentiometer which can be used to precisely set its value, it’s not really about readjusting it again and again, these are used more for getting the exact required value for the first time. Once you adjust them while installing them, there is very little chance that the value will fluctuate for a long time using these adjustable voltage regulators.

-
Back