Voltage Regulator

-
I've had almost ZERO trouble with the "flat" electronic regulators. when I swapped the Mopar into my old Landcruiser in the mid 70's, it was a used one. That same regulator was in the FJ-40 when I junked it in the 20xx's a few years ago, and had been working last time it ran

I've had almost ZERO trouble with the "flat" electronic regulators. when I swapped the Mopar into my old Landcruiser in the mid 70's, it was a used one. That same regulator was in the FJ-40 when I junked it in the 20xx's a few years ago, and had been working last time it ran

Yeah, for sure the old ones were pretty reliable, the newer parts store ones are what seem to fail.

I have that one. In use now for 2 years. I was having the same quality issues you’re talking about. So far....so good.

Yeah, for sure the old ones were pretty reliable, the newer parts store ones are what seem to fail.
I bought a brand new "17 dollar" Napa, the good one, to put on my '74 Duster a couple years ago. Just as a precaution, ya know...... It discharged from the git go, I had to put the old one back on. Frustrating.

I bought a brand new "17 dollar" Napa, the good one, to put on my '74 Duster a couple years ago. Just as a precaution, ya know...... It discharged from the git go, I had to put the old one back on. Frustrating.

Our last one was from Orieley's, did not work, they replaced it and that one is still working couple months later. But, even though they replaced it, we were still out the time to remove, drive back to town, and the gas we spent.

This last failure was on my son's valiant, and is his only transportation. We just want something reliable day to day. I guess we could all just carry a spare in the trunk, but it would have to be checked to consider it a spare.

I tested that one right out of the box. Dead on at 14.3 volts. Tested the adjustment both ways and reset to 14.3. The only reason I spent that much money on it was that I’d already been through 3 in the few years prior. When they failed my voltage spiked pinning the voltmeter. Not good. This guy has lots of YouTube vids supporting his craft. It’s a nice unit so far.

Chrysler informed us working at the dealership at the time to use spacers behind to get air circulation behind for cooling. Yes heat was and still is a problem with them. Heat sink is a good idea.
May I ask how are these adjustable ? Didn't see anything in the photos.

Chrysler informed us working at the dealership at the time to use spacers behind to get air circulation behind for cooling. Yes heat was and still is a problem with them. Heat sink is a good idea.
May I ask how are these adjustable ? Didn't see anything in the photos.

I think they have a slotted screw dial on the back side.

Just my opinion.

If I was having that many problems with any voltage regulator I would be checking the rotor to see if it was pulling excessive amps.

Maybe new aftermarket VRs are all crap, but unless that are made of the most under rated parts (the companies having them made are responsible NOT the manufacturer) then there is something else causing the failure.

An intermitant short in the rotors winding?
An intermitant short in the underhood wiring?
User error?

Just my opinion.

If I was having that many problems with any voltage regulator I would be checking the rotor to see if it was pulling excessive amps.

Maybe new aftermarket VRs are all crap, but unless that are made of the most under rated parts (the companies having them made are responsible NOT the manufacturer) then there is something else causing the failure.

An intermitant short in the rotors winding?
An intermitant short in the underhood wiring?
User error?

All 3 of my sons drive older mopars everyday. That is all they have. Our odds of getting bad parts may be greater than most. We've gotten water pumps that leak out of the seal right out of the box, Pitman arm that went bad within a few months ( Yes it had grease in it). On a newer 97 Intrepid I put a new fuel pump in and it quit the first day.

Lots of people are having issues with hyd. lifters and other parts.

Maybe we are doing something wrong, but I have always had and driven at least 1 older Mopar since the 80s, and just the last 10 years or so have I had such problems.

Yeh I see what you are saying. I AGREE on replacement parts. Some of this crap is a SAFETY issue. DOT and NHTSA ought to do a bit more on requirements for things, at least suspension / brake parts.

Buy an NOS OEM VR from @halifaxhops
Think I have a few left over.

I really thinkk the new stuff is bad. I am heavy in the ecu's and all of the new stuff from the parts stores is really bad. Fake transistors so they overheat internally. Watch out or the phrase "replaces #XXXXXXX"

This has nothing to do with Sam. ... and I've said this before.. but we (the consumer) have ownership in this. For years we "price checked". "X" store wants 34.99 and "Z" store has them for 17.99. "Z" got our business and money. If "X" wants to compete and stay in business, they must find a cheap alternative, so they too have a 17.99 price. Now we sit with junk. Junk appliances, junk parts, mostly junk everything. It's not all the consumers fault, though. Misrepresentation by the manufacture, and greedy for even more profits plays a big part in this also.
  • Service parts for our cars, I like quality and often go with a more expensive part.
  • Performance parts, I'm guilty - I have a 135.00 SM intake instead of a 425.00 eddy. I have 730 heads instead of 2200 TF. To keep the cost of "hobby" down, I've gone low price on some things to cut the price by 2/3.

Last edited:
-
Back