W/S gasket install help needed

-

Rapid Robert

Reaction score
65 Dart windshield is in w the(old) gasket.(1) I cannot get the interlocking(middle) strip to go in. (2) should I squirt a bead of sealer under the W/S and the body sides of the gasket before I put the strip in(once I know how to get it in). It seems that there'd be more room to lift up the edges & get more sealer in there before the locking strip goes in but I'm worried that if I cant get it in now I probably for sure wont be able to get it in w the sealer pushing in a bit from both sides (3) hardening or non hardening black sealer. Thank you for your time.

The gasket & lockstrip should be hot in the sun. The lockstrip should be installed in a rolling action. You should be able to bend it over backwards, insert into the channel of the gasket, and roll it in at the point it is curved, should then roll & wiggle as you go throught the length.
I know it sounds funny but I didn't know how to put it. You start in the middle of the bottom and work your way around making sure to work in the corners good. Trim to max at bottom (smallest gap possible between ends) The clip will snap on the gap at bottom.
You do not put black sealer in the lock strip channel. A little goes in the glass chanel before putting on glass. The factory only put it there and on along the bottom where the gasket/WS sets on the fence stops. I have on my 64 had to go back and move the gasket etc further into the corners and had to run black sealant between body and gasket after install. The glass co. only ran the sealant around the bottom and half way up the sides. Had leaks so I bought 2 tubes of black sealant from NAPA and went on around the outside between gasket and body, but not so much it comes over to fill gap between gasket and body. You want some gap between window opening and gasket. The sealer would be applied under the flap of the gasket where the gasket and the body "fence" meet.
Hope this helps good luck!

It might help if you squirt the lock strip with Windex first. Rubber slides on rubber easier if it is wet - then the Windex will evaporate.

There is a tool designed to install the lock strip, with the tool and Windex it goes in as easy as zipping your coat. You can install it without the tool but it will take a while and you have to be extra careful not to mar up the edge of the rubber seal.

You also need to put bedding sealer in the groove of the seal that goes over the body flange and the groove for the glass before you install the glass. Just don't over do it or you will have a mess.

As mentioned above, let the gasket warm up in the sun. It makes the whole job easier.

No sun?Drop your lockstrip into a bucket of warm water,keep it in there as your feeding it into the weatherstrip.This will keep it flexible if you get hung up in a spot or so and its partially lubed now.

-
Back