W2 Heads on 1996 Magnum 360 Block

-

D&R Const

Reaction score
Guys, I have a 1996 360 magnum short block that I am looking to rebuild. I got to wondering if the latest W2 "Race" heads will work with the magnum oiling system. I know that magnums oil through push rod, and the W2 heads (P/N P5249769) also oil through the push rod, just not sure if it is really that simple. I was not able to find any thread on here that someone asked about doing this. If there is one, I would love to see the results.

If you have the right oil through pushrod lifters, pushrods and mandatory T&D rockers required for those W2 heads it will work.

If you have the right oil through pushrod lifters, pushrods and mandatory T&D rockers required for those W2 heads it will work.

Thank you, that seemed like the logical solution. I just was not able to find an example of someone having done this to be certain.

Those W2 castings are the same as any magnum head for top end oiling.

Are those the latest W2's and can they oil through the block?

You might want to check the block and see if the head oil passages are drilled. The early Magnums were drilled, might open up other head options for you.

You might want to check the block and see if the head oil passages are drilled. The early Magnums were drilled, might open up other head options for you.
'94-'95 ,was supposedly the factory cut off point,there... MRL will drill it,supposed on later blocks.. I prefer the Magnum oiling system, compared to L.A rocker shaft b.s.......

Are those the latest W2's and can they oil through the block?

The W2 heads pn# P5249769 oil thru the pushrods only. They have no provisions for oiling thru the block. They are the latest 59 degree head design and the only 59 degree W2 head that is offered now I believe.

'94-'95 ,was supposedly the factory cut off point,there... MRL will drill it,supposed on later blocks.. I prefer the Magnum oiling system, compared to L.A rocker shaft b.s.......

Fortunately they still use shaft style rockers, they are just oiled thru the pushrods.

Times 2 ..A roller cammed 408 Magnum base,with a legit W2 top end= torque galore....

That's what I was thinking. I don't mind keeping it a 360 for sake of saving money. Either way, I imagine that it will be a lot more fun that the 318 2bbl I have now.

Thanks T-N-T, yes, they are the only 59* W2 head available. I'm thinking on making a move to the W2 iron heads.

D&R, stroking or just a striaght 360?
Just watch your RPM's with the stock oiling passages.

D&R, stroking or just a striaght 360?
Just watch your RPM's with the stock oiling passages.

Keeping it 360. I don't want/need a stroker for what we are going to do with the car. I don't plan to go all that radical with cam. I want to stay within the limits of the OEM hydraulic roller lifters. I do plan to mod the oil system before the block goes to the machine shop though.

So what are going to do with the car and your plans for the engine?

So what are going to do with the car and your plans for the engine?

Cruise it with the family, my daughter is already in love with the car. Go to bbq's and stomp on my fox body friends (I once had a foxbody) Take it to the strip occasionally. Still plan to keep a/c, power steering just like I had in my foxbody. High 11's, low 12's would satisfy me. As long as the car doesn't have to have an overly radical cam to get it done.

What's overly radical?
Auto or manual trans?
What rear end is in there now?
Gears and tire combo your thinking?
I like the target of the build.

What's overly radical?
Auto or manual trans?
What rear end is in there now?
Gears and tire combo your thinking?
I like the target of the build.
For the cam, I had something like this in mind. Meaty, but not what I would call a "race" cam
Cam Spec Card :: Lunati Power
It is auto, but I would sure love to go 4spd at some point.
I have 275/60's coming for the rear.
Thinking of 3.73 or 3.91 gears. If I ever get to go 4spd, I would like to get the overdrive setup from Passon Performance (nowhere near ready to even look into this yet. Only had the car for a week)

I am going to tear down the 360 short block tomorrow and get started on the oil mods. I am open to advice/criticism on this overall plan. I just want to build this car once. This is my first time ever having a Mopar muscle car that even drove under its own power. Goal is to drive it more than I work on it.

For the cam, I had something like this in mind. Meaty, but not what I would call a "race" cam
Cam Spec Card :: Lunati Power
It is auto, but I would sure love to go 4spd at some point.
I have 275/60's coming for the rear.
Thinking of 3.73 or 3.91 gears. If I ever get to go 4spd, I would like to get the overdrive setup from Passon Performance (nowhere near ready to even look into this yet. Only had the car for a week)

I am going to tear down the 360 short block tomorrow and get started on the oil mods. I am open to advice/criticism on this overall plan. I just want to build this car once. This is my first time ever having a Mopar muscle car that even drove under its own power. Goal is to drive it more than I work on it.

1973 Duster all stock.jpg

The Lunati "Retro fit" cam is NOT a retro fitting cam. Notice the pictures below between the Lunati Hyd roller and the Crane Hyd. cam that has the proper length "long snout" to run the fuel pump eccentric.

Just so you know.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

As for oiling Mod's, have you seen this thread by chance?
Any one interested in the oiling mods I did?

3.73 gears are odd for MoPars. Early years had them. Not so much the later years. The aftermarket has them. Not so easy to find sometimes for your rear.
8-1/4 or a 8-3/4?
(The 8-3/4 is a banjo rear like the Ford 9.)

Thank you for letting me know about the cam snouts. I was unaware. I am a long ways out from that point but I will take suggestions on who to use for for a cam that will work for my application. The plan is to use an electric fuel pump inside the tank. Not certain if I need the longer snout if I will not be using a fuel pump eccentric?

I did see that thread and will be following those modifications closely, I hope they apply to magnum blocks as well.

As for the rear end, I know some of the purists may not like it, but I plan to get a disc brake 8.8 Ford since Explorers are very easy to come by in South Texas. I found a good thread here where a guy cut down the longer tube to be equal to the short tube. I am going to follow his footsteps.

-
Back