w2 valve train

-

Muscley MOPAR

Reaction score
anyone have roller bearing washers inbetween their shaft mounted rocker arms on a w2 head...if so does anyone know where i could find them

I think you might be referring to a torrington style bearing. But i'm sorry i can't answer your question. I'll be watching with you for responses:)

Attachments

• Bearing.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 245
I have only seen metal spacers or springs for the wide spaces and thin steel shims for the fine tuning to center the rocker arm.

i have what oldmanrick has in his picture, looks like Grainger Industrial has washers like this

They may have been used by someone before, maybe on another brand with shaft mount rockers? But in my opinion any advantage friction or durability wise, if there is any at all, would be offset by the risk of failure. That's a lot of little needles that could end up in the pan, or worse.

They may have been used by someone before, maybe on another brand with shaft mount rockers? But in my opinion any advantage friction or durability wise, if there is any at all, would be offset by the risk of failure. That's a lot of little needles that could end up in the pan, or worse.
good call on that.It dont take much to get thos little rollers out of there....Artie

i hear what yours saying, but theres also the possibilty of a hardened washer against the rockers puting shavings in from the friction...in my experience the less friction on something the less stress and by putting those needle bearings in there it reduces friction and drag...but hey im no physicist

i hear what yours saying, but theres also the possibilty of a hardened washer against the rockers puting shavings in from the friction...in my experience the less friction on something the less stress and by putting those needle bearings in there it reduces friction and drag...but hey im no physicist

Hi Muscley MOPAR, I've been searching alot about this subject, even exotic european stuff, Ferrari etc. So far i hanen't found anything about bearings in this application. My own conclusion is that with a properly spaced and shimed shaft assembly there is little to no thrust pressure in this area. Only advantage i could come up with would be that it may allow a little tighter clearence therefore a little more stability at very high R's and high spring pressures.

Other applications for these bearings are cam thrust and in some cases distributor gear spacing where these parts turn at half engine speed. The amount of movement at the rocker shaft is maybe 1/4" back and forth so i really don't see to much of a friction advantage.

I applaud you for thinking about this, all great ideas started with a thought. I'd like to see one of the Pro engine building members comment on this, but we'll see?

Good luck to you if you persue this, i'd like to know how it works out.

Rick

hey thanks rick hopefully the worst thing thatll happen is get some needles in my pan or trapped in the pick up tube

T&D uses carbon fiber looking rings between the rockers, there is Maybe .002 clearance between both rockers and the shaft bolts, but no friction. Very well made, you get what you pay for I guess. Only place I see a torrington bearing in a motor is at the cam thrust plate. The hydrodynamic wedge of forced oil lubrication is hard to beat, practically no drag and cheap. And Torrington bearings need a hardened race to run against. Against a aluminum rocker is asking for trouble unless you run 2 thin washers around the bearing and now your back to AL on metal.

their steel rockers with roller tips and bronze bushed shaft, and i have a hardened washer on both sides of the bearing

Stock Mopar shaft is 7/8, T&D uses a 3/4. Here is your guy...$3.30 a pop and I guess youll need 4 per side? .078 thick. http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/INA-Thrust-Bearing-4XFN5?Pid=search..
4XFL8_AS01

-
Back