Want to change my 2bbl Stomberg Carb to a 4bbl set up.

-

piperdrums

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a 65 Barracuda 273 V8 with a 2bbl carb and want to change over to a 4bbl setup. I'v tried looking for an original 4bbl setup for the same year barracuda, to much no luck.
Can anyone help me with the parts I will need to convert this to a 4bbl carb and intake new.

thanks.

Early or late 65? Some have a different angle on the intake bolts. If it is the later style any 318 intake will fit with no mods other than possibly having to pull the dowel pins on the ends of the valley. The HP intake on the 273 was a single plane but you would be better off with a dual plane design. The Holley Street Dominator for the 318 is very close to the original HP manifold in design. I may even have one to sell but I would have to look....

intakessbhsd.jpg

I didn't know any 1965's had the later intake, but engines and model years did suffer miscegenation. An easy way to tell is to remove an intake bolt and measure it. Besides the angle (~16 deg off vertical vs 45 deg), the earlier (64 & 65) intake bolts were bigger. If memory serves me 5/16" vs 3/8", but easy to find it here (search from google).

You can hog the bolt holes of a later intake to work. I used a counter-sink drill bit, then installed flat-head screws for my 1965 273. But, not optimal. I eventually got a 64-65 4 bbl aluminum intake off ebay (haven't installed). But, I understand it has a different carburetor bolt pattern than later 4 bbl "square bore" carburetors used. Direct fit is an original Carter AFB carb, though I plan TBI. The factory HiPo intake was cast iron, so adds some weight.

I didn't know any 1965's had the later intake, but engines and model years did suffer miscegenation. An easy way to tell is to remove an intake bolt and measure it. Besides the angle (~16 deg off vertical vs 45 deg), the earlier (64 & 65) intake bolts were bigger. If memory serves me 5/16" vs 3/8", but easy to find it here (search from google).

You can hog the bolt holes of a later intake to work. I used a counter-sink drill bit, then installed flat-head screws for my 1965 273. But, not optimal. I eventually got a 64-65 4 bbl aluminum intake off ebay (haven't installed). But, I understand it has a different carburetor bolt pattern than later 4 bbl "square bore" carburetors used. Direct fit is an original Carter AFB carb, though I plan TBI. The factory HiPo intake was cast iron, so adds some weight.

Correction the 64-65 intake bolts were the smaller 5/16 and the 66 up are 3/8 larger ones.

get a performer 318/360 and hog the bolt holes out. use original 65 bolts and run a washer under them. Looks a little wonky but it seals just fine. The Performer unmolested has 273 sized ports. 2nd option is just buy some newer heads and run a newer intake. I recommend 302's for a 273, nice small chamber much like the original 273 closed chamber heads. That Street Dominator is very close indeed, and probably 1/3 the weight.

Oops. Yes, the 64-65 heads use the smaller 5/16"D bolts.
Yes, a 4 bbl kickdown or at least an extension rod. Most Edelbrock 4 bbl intakes are also taller, so might need some finagling, but many posts in the Small Block forum. I would look for a kickdown and throttle linkage from a 70-80's 318.

My 1965 2 bbl was a Carter. Stromberg was Bendix (I think), but haven't heard of them on A-bodies. My 1965 Newport had a Stromberg WWC 2 bbl.

-
Back