wanted 4bbl carb and intake

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since all LA 318's were two barrel until 1978, what do you consider "stock looking"?

Since all LA 318's were two barrel until 1978, what do you consider "stock looking"?

340 / 360 4bbl aircleaner setup , I want to use a red aircleaner like chrysler used on these from the factory like the 340 swinger has , i do not want a chrome open air cleaner, as you can tell my car is mostly original so i want to do minor upgrades under the hood without taking away from the appearance of being stock. Don't you think a 340/ 360 la will work fine to accomplish this. My 2 bbl carb/ intake setup is giving me lots of trouble/ i think it has a vaccuum leak at the intake gasket/ so since it has to come off lets increase some hp

I have a 70 cast date 340 intake, but shipping could be brutal as it is very heavy. Where are you located?

I am looking a stock looking 4bbl intake manifold and carb and stock air cleaner for my 1969 dodge 318- thanks
I might be wrong here, but unless you have 340-360 heads on your 318 you have to have a 318 Edlebrock manifold, someone else want to chime in here??

Naw, he can use the later 318 intake. They came with foe barrows from da facktree. lol

I might be wrong here, but unless you have 340-360 heads on your 318 you have to have a 318 Edlebrock manifold, someone else want to chime in here??

Ideally, yes.

But the larger intake runners on the manifold, can be sealed up to the smaller runners on the heads, no problem.

I am running an LD340 right now on my 302 heads, just fine.

Going by his profile, he's in North Carolina....
If you still have the 675 casting heads, you'll probably want an aftermarket dual plane manifold like an Edelbrock Performer that is made for the small ports of those heads. Sometimes the large port manifolds (like the 340 and early 360 have) will cause a big hesitation (bog) on acceleration. Port matching can help but might not get rid of it completely. The later cast iron manifolds will work but they have lots of smog stuff on them and weigh 3 times what the aluminum one weighs. Decide on a carb (600 CFM would be about right) and then get a manifold that will match so you don't need an adaptor. Most of the modern carbs have the same air horn size that will match the factory 340 and 360 air cleaners. Other items recommended on this changeover are: 4bbl. kickdown linkage and dual exhaust. You might even consider a slightly bigger cam to make use of that extra breathing since you have the intake off already.

i am in wilson nc 45 mi east of raleigh, if i am reading this correctly i will be better off with an aftermarket intake and a holley 600 (which I was going to choose) but I do want a factory 4bbl aircleaner to ride on top, about the cam , will that add a rumble to the car, i want the engine to sound smooth. My dads 67 cuda has a 360 with a cam and at an idle it rattles the fillings out of your teeth, this i dont want.

try ......billy west's yard in Selma or Mikes yard in Sanford. Both places are amazing. You can pm me for phone numbers and addresses.

i am in wilson nc 45 mi east of raleigh, if i am reading this correctly i will be better off with an aftermarket intake and a holley 600 (which I was going to choose) but I do want a factory 4bbl aircleaner to ride on top, about the cam , will that add a rumble to the car, i want the engine to sound smooth. My dads 67 cuda has a 360 with a cam and at an idle it rattles the fillings out of your teeth, this i dont want.
I have a mild 318 cam and hyd lifters with about 2000 miles on it doesnt make the big rumble but worked good with 600 holley $50. plus shipping call if insterested. Tom 570-658-7721

try ......billy west's yard in Selma or Mikes yard in Sanford. Both places are amazing. You can pm me for phone numbers and addresses.

i know about billy west- but i dont know how to get parts out of his yard because he passed away not too long ago

open thurs afternoon and sat only his wife jackie runs the place now

Thankyou for all the info on this thread. My wife just informed me that she ordered a intake and carb from summit racing for my xmas. thanks

Any ideas what
Thankyou for all the info on this thread. My wife just informed me that she ordered a intake and carb from summit racing for my xmas. thanks

Wow.....She's a keeper.

Any idea what she ordered ?

Install a factory 273 cast-iron intake like yellow68runner suggested. A good reason: hood clearance. Look at yours now with the setup you have, then consider that an aftermarket intake will ride higher, making it necessary to add a low-profile air cleaner and defeating your goal of the stock look. The small 273 runners will match up perfectly with your 318 heads and will give good low-end torque. The four-barrel should yield HUGE improvement, relatively speaking. One problem with the cast intake: you'll need a small Carter AFB as used on the 273, or you could modify the top to accept an Edelbrock carb (the one in yellow68runner's photo has been modified.) Go with the 500 CFM for better bottom end throttle response, since you might not be doing much drag racing. Also, better gas mileage with the 500. Good luck...NICE CAR!

Install a factory 273 cast-iron intake like yellow68runner suggested. A good reason: hood clearance. Look at yours now with the setup you have, then consider that an aftermarket intake will ride higher, making it necessary to add a low-profile air cleaner and defeating your goal of the stock look. The small 273 runners will match up perfectly with your 318 heads and will give good low-end torque. The four-barrel should yield HUGE improvement, relatively speaking. One problem with the cast intake: you'll need a small Carter AFB as used on the 273, or you could modify the top to accept an Edelbrock carb (the one in yellow68runner's photo has been modified.) Go with the 500 CFM for better bottom end throttle response, since you might not be doing much drag racing. Also, better gas mileage with the 500. Good luck...NICE CAR!
thanks i will just have to see what i open up on xmas day, may have to install chrome air cleaner who knows- we'll just give ole yeller a sleeper look, no intentions of drag racing it

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back