Wanting to remove A/C from 74 duster

-

BigStrok3

Mopar!
Reaction score
Im wanting to leave the air conditioning off my duster wondering if removing the under the dash unit would affect my heater? ALso need to know what I can remove from my firewall without messing anything up? Would appreciate Pictures of engine compartents that had a/c components removed so I can find out where I need to go with this. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

We just pulled all the a/c stuff from under the dash of our '74 Duster but we pulled the heater core and hoses also since we are in Fl. There was some weight to be saved under the dash between the heater core and the condenser. We decided to put the empty boxes back under the dash to make sure we get at least some vent air and defrost. For your purposes I suggest you just remvove the condenser and reinstall the boxes so you don't have a problem. This probably doesn't answer your question but this is what we did. There are a bunch of vacume hoses activating the various doors down there and all we decided to keep was the one that diverts air to the defrost. Someone with more experience I am sure will post shortly. Good luck..

The only a/c parts inside that are not related to heater are the vaporater coil and the vent assembly hanging under the ash tray.The vaporater is aluminum and doesn't weigh enough to justify removal. Same with the vents.
I'm taking for granted you still want working heat and defrost.

We just pulled all the a/c stuff from under the dash of our '74 Duster but we pulled the heater core and hoses also since we are in Fl. There was some weight to be saved under the dash between the heater core and the condenser. We decided to put the empty boxes back under the dash to make sure we get at least some vent air and defrost. For your purposes I suggest you just remove the condenser and reinstall the boxes so you don't have a problem. This probably doesn't answer your question but this is what we did. There are a bunch of vacume hoses activating the various doors down there and all we decided to keep was the one that diverts air to the defrost. Someone with more experience I am sure will post shortly. Good luck..

Is the a/c core in a separate box that grommets together or is it all one unit...I actually used the heat last winter out here in east Orlando

I didn't realize that what was under the dash was called a "vaporator" I thought it was the condenser. I have never heard of a vaporator. I think I have heard of an evaporator. In any case it is aluminum but does weight 5 or so pounds. Yes the aluminum lines coming through the firewall go to that piece. We just took it all out along with the heater core and saved a good bit of weight... Player1up whatchu talkin bout...heater?

The condenser on a A/C equipped car is up front by the radiator. What is inside the HVAC box in the car is the evaporator core.
I wish my 69 Dart had A/C. I would never remove it.

George

-
Back