Votes: 1 3.0%

• Total voters
-
Status
Not open for further replies.

805moparkid

Slant and AFX Guy
Reaction score
well my girl and i got home from work yesterday around the same time( which never happens) and found that the baby goat around the yard from our husky...

she broke down and took the dog in the house to get cleaned up... shouldn't have to say why (black and white husky/sheppard)

anyways i go and find him (the goat), well what is left and it was breathing still... then started making noise... not fun...

so since we live in the booney's i got my .38 and put him out of his misery...

now ive hunted and shot gofers, squirrels, bird, deer and what not since i was 13 but that is something i dont think i'll ever forget...

made me feel better that i was done suffering but i wanted to finish the dog to...

so what do you think...

If the dog was so badly injured that there was little chance of survival then I believe you did the right thing in not prolonging the dogs pain and suffering.

I personally wouldn't keep the killer around,could do the same to a child.

I personally wouldn't keep the killer around,could do the same to a child.

well thats whats weird is that the cats sleep on him and he could care less...

but she will never get rid of it... i never liked him either...

Attachments

• Creatures (3).JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 473
If the dog is willing to kill a LIVING small animal then it can easily do the same to a small child or another small animal. No amount of training can get rid of it now. That is part of his psychology. It's like humans, many of us have thought about killing someone who has pissed us off, but we don't act upon them. When we do we are punished very severely.

Around the ranch here there are two things that dogs must never do, attack a human or go after livestock. Both earn them a bullet. Even a dog just chasing cows for fun without any means of actually attacking them can be shot by the owners of said cows. That being said only a single dog has ever had to be put down and it was for attacking a horse.

That being said be 100% sure that the dog attacked the baby goat. Something else could have easily killed the goat and the dog just happened come along afterwards.

If the dog is willing to kill a LIVING small animal then it can easily do the same to a small child or another small animal. No amount of training can get rid of it now. That is part of his psychology. It's like humans, many of us have thought about killing someone who has pissed us off, but we don't act upon them. When we do we are punished very severely.

Around the ranch here there are two things that dogs must never do, attack a human or go after livestock. Both earn them a bullet. Even a dog just chasing cows for fun without any means of actually attacking them can be shot by the owners of said cows. That being said only a single dog has ever had to be put down and it was for attacking a horse.

thats kinda what ive heard... once they get the taste of blood thats it...

well i'll got to get the girl to get him out then...

Make sure the dog is 100% the guilty party and not just happened to be around after a coyote attacked the goat and ran off.

And it's not about a dog getting the taste of blood, a dog will always have that wild instinct left over. The thing is that most dogs though can easily supress that instinct due to breeding, training, and just blind luck.

If you dog really did kill the goat then it's shown that he cannot control those instincts due to losing his temper.

It might sound wrong but the only way to stop those instincts is to beat a dog when he acts aggressive. But you can't be around him 100% of the time.

thats a tough one, tearing up the lil goat is bad news...

we had a goat & german shepard, he'd nip at the goat and run him down, but never drew blood or caused it to scream...it just would make sounds like stevie nicks meeha eh eh ehehehehaeheheahehh 'eh

how long did u have the goat, did you guys intermingle them properly?

did he eat any of him or just rip into bits during play?

Make sure the dog is 100% the guilty party and not just happened to be around after a coyote attacked the goat and ran off.

And it's not about a dog getting the taste of blood, a dog will always have that wild instinct left over. The thing is that most dogs though can easily supress that instinct due to breeding, training, and just blind luck.

If you dog really did kill the goat then it's shown that he cannot control those instincts due to losing his temper.

It might sound wrong but the only way to stop those instincts is to beat a dog when he acts aggressive. But you can't be around him 100% of the time.

no it was the dog, our yard it built so nothing can get in our out becasue for 3 months the husky was escaping to chase rabbits...

but yea we always keep him in check when he gets aggressive, he used to be really protective of his food so we just had to make him lay down and let the cats eat his food until he didn't care anymore...

thats a tough one, tearing up the lil goat is bad news...

we had a goat & german shepard, he'd nip at the goat and run him down, but never drew blood or caused it to scream...it just would make sounds like stevie nicks meeha eh eh ehehehehaeheheahehh 'eh

how long did u have the goat, did you guys intermingle them properly?

did he eat any of him or just rip into bits during play?

the husky like to chase stuff so when the goat got out, or the dog got the gate open the goat ran... i know cuz i found spots where you could tell he was dropped (blood/hair/skin) and then it would get free and run some more...

but yea he eat some of it...

For Sure!! keep an eye on his poo!! This could have happened to the goat by another animal !!!!!! This could have happened the night before maybe, and your dog was there when you got home, and yes I would have put it out of it's misery.

I just seen your last post. It sounds like your Husky is aggressive and still has the attack mode on fresh meet... I would stick my hand in his food while he is eating and if he bit me he would be put down ... I have my wife, children and grand children that come first and your dog will get worse the older it gets .

For Sure!! keep an eye on his poo!! This could have happened to the goat by another animal !!!!!! This could have happened the night before maybe, and your dog was there when you got home, and yes I would have put it out of it's misery.

no the goat was very much alive that morning and when i got home for lunch @ 1.45-2.45...

so between 2.45 and 5.30

and the dog was covered in blood and stuff in his teeth...

just went through the same thing. yellow lab around a year old. ate a goat that i think froze out in my pasture during the blizzard and 0 degree weather we had. thought it was a one time deal. got out again and chewed the ears off of the neighbors cow. cut off his nuts hoping to mellow him out. fixed the fence and thought we had the end in sight. well he got out again and killed the other neighbors daschound just outside their yard. one trip to the vet and one hole later problem solved. couldnt shoot him because he always acted sweet with our other dogs and cat and kids. but i wouldnt trust your dog because sooner or later the temptation will be there and the taste of blood is in memory. sorry but thats what happened. rather lose a dog than somebodys kid.

but yea we always keep him in check when he gets aggressive, he used to be really protective of his food so we just had to make him lay down and let the cats eat his food until he didn't care anymore...

the husky like to chase stuff so when the goat got out, or the dog got the gate open the goat ran... i know cuz i found spots where you could tell he was dropped (blood/hair/skin) and then it would get free and run some more...

but yea he eat some of it...

See that right there seems to show me that the dog has a real problem with aggression. You can never 100% get rid of an animal's aggression, it's impossible.

Chasing something is just a normal dog instinct. You can get rid of this through lots of training. But it's not all THAT serious although chasing cars can get him hurt and just chasing livestock can get them hurt by breaking a leg or running them to death even though the dog might not want to hurt the livestock.

But TEARING another animal to pieces is very serious aggression.

just went through the same thing. yellow lab around a year old. ate a goat that i think froze out in my pasture during the blizzard and 0 degree weather we had. thought it was a one time deal. got out again and chewed the ears off of the neighbors cow. cut off his nuts hoping to mellow him out. fixed the fence and thought we had the end in sight. well he got out again and killed the other neighbors daschound just outside their yard. one trip to the vet and one hole later problem solved. couldnt shoot him because he always acted sweet with our other dogs and cat and kids. but i wouldnt trust your dog because sooner or later the temptation will be there and the taste of blood is in memory. sorry but thats what happened. rather lose a dog than somebodys kid.

100% agree... plays great with my little brothers(supervised) great with the cats, plays great with other dogs...

just really didn't see it coming...

well i'll show my girl this thread later tonite and see what she says...

I just seen your last post. It sounds like your Husky is aggressive and still has the attack mode on fresh meet... I would stick my hand in his food while he is eating and if he bit me he would be put down ... I have my wife, children and grand children that come first and your dog will get worse the older it gets

I just seen your last post. It sounds like your Husky is aggressive and still has the attack mode on fresh meet... I would stick my hand in his food while he is eating and if he bit me he would be put down ... I have my wife, children and grand children that come first and your dog will get worse the older it gets

well thats how he was when we first got him but after working with him he will let the cats eat his food he just nudges them out of the way...

I had 7 dogs now 5. Once they kill they will not stop. I have had a black lab who killed several cats , even the cat that slept by him and a six month old golden retriever puppy. He also almost killed our jack russle, the other was a pit bull puppy she would kill anything she could when ever alone. She even tore up the dog in my avatar, 31 staples to fix him. Fostering for shelters I can tell you your dog should not be left alone with any living thing he feels he can dominate when you are not there. Crate him if left alone . Never leave him alone with your child he will attack him or her when you are not there. This has happened alot, and you will be responcible and criminally charged whether its your child or someone elses. Jail time could result because you have admitted you know of his wild behavier now. should keep things like this to yourself. just some freindly advice from a animal person.Steve

Maybe it was provoked (kicked) by the goat.

probably deserved it... the horses taught him a lesson...

I had 7 dogs now 5. Once they kill they will not stop. I have had a black lab who killed several cats , even the cat that slept by him and a six month old golden retriever puppy. He also almost killed our jack russle, the other was a pit bull puppy she would kill anything she could when ever alone. She even tore up the dog in my avatar, 31 staples to fix him. Fostering for shelters I can tell you your dog should not be left alone with any living thing he feels he can dominate when you are not there. Crate him if left alone . Never leave him alone with your child he will attack him or her when you are not there. This has happened alot, and you will be responcible and criminally charged whether its your child or someone elses. Jail time could result because you have admitted you know of his wild behavier now. should keep things like this to yourself. just some freindly advice from a animal person.Steve

yea i have no kinds(thank god) but i still just dont like having that kinda issue around...

thanks guys.... poor wilson... i liked the goat better than the dog to...

Attachments

• 100_4469.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 438
  • 100_4470.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 443
I have been around animals all my life, you DO NOT have a killer dog! Your dog was trying to play and when the goat ran the dog was playing not going after food. Goats and sheep will run and when tired they will lay down and give up the game, by that time the damage was done. I have always taken my dogs around any goat,sheep,cow or whatever livestock we had. When you are there you have time to train the dog what is right and wrong to do with his new friends. Putting down the goat was the correct thing to do to stop any suffering. I had a Husky that chased and killed chickens and I took a dead chicken and tied it around the dogs neck for awhile like 3 days , she never killed again. Please don'T ever take it out on the dog unless you are there when things happen because the dog will not know what it is being corrected for and will turn afraid of you. I am positive the Dog DID NOT damage this goat on purpose, had it meant to kill for food you would have found it protecting it's kill, at that point you would have seen a wild animal. If you feel ypou can't trust him crate him while you are gone. All animals run on instinct Huskys are of the Wolf family so be your own judge and protect the dog as well as others. Goats take on a friendly nature easily and are all sorts of fun

Maybe it was provoked (kicked) by the goat.

Dogs know the difference between defence, food, and killing for pleasure. I've seen coyotes and wolves do all three. Tearing an animal to pieces, especially when the animal is still alive is a sign of aggression and the pleasure of attacking/killing.

Animals are run by instinct. If attacked an animal will fight back until it can escape the threat. If it cannot escape the threat it will fight until it or the attacker is dead. If it's hunting something it will kill it the easiest and quickest way it can to conserve enegry and then eat the kill. Coyotes and Wolves will not spread a kill around unless one of them is taking a piece away to eat away from the group. But spreading pieces of a kill around makes it harder for an animal to protect it's kill. Then you have the pleasure killing. They will kill an animal slowly, biting in places that won't make the animal bleed, or simply chasing the animal down until it drops from exhaustion. They then might tear open the animal, eat a few of the most precious bits and then leave. Very few animals will actually kill for pleasure.

Even if the goat kicked the dog, it doesn't matter If a kid walks by and grabs the dogs ear or tail is it ok for the dog to tear the kid to pieces? Of course you don't think that, no one does.

I have been around animals all my life, you DO NOT have a killer dog! Your dog was trying to play and when the goat ran the dog was playing not going after food. Goats and sheep will run and when tired they will lay down and give up the game, by that time the damage was done. I have always taken my dogs around any goat,sheep,cow or whatever livestock we had. When you are there you have time to train the dog what is right and wrong to do with his new friends. Putting down the goat was the correct thing to do to stop any suffering. I had a Husky that chased and killed chickens and I took a dead chicken and tied it around the dogs neck for awhile like 3 days , she never killed again. Please don'T ever take it out on the dog unless you are there when things happen because the dog will not know what it is being corrected for and will turn afraid of you. I am positive the Dog DID NOT damage this goat on purpose, had it meant to kill for food you would have found it protecting it's kill, at that point you would have seen a wild animal.

well the dog was just sitting at the back door like nothing had happened...

well maybe i need to let it get another rabbit and do the some thing...

my huskies used to surround our goats when they were babies and pin them down but never hurt them. were buddies with the cats and now that the goats can hurt the dogs they are buddies witht he goats.. now chickens, gunni hens and anything with feathers look out they were done as soo n as they got in reach.

yes you put the poor thing out of its misery. right thing to do i think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back