Votes: 32 97.0%
  • no

Votes: 1 3.0%

• Total voters
-
Status
Not open for further replies.
ouchn.jpg

A guy's fiance from another forum. She was pretty light hearted after the fact and on pain killers (thus the silly pose) but she came close to be severely scarred.

I have to agree and disagree with some of you. Dogs are animals, and just like any other animal, instincts will kick in. With that said, if the dog lives well with the inside animals and does not show sign of aggression (true attack aggression) then it sounds isolated and the goat probably nipped or kicked him. I have a lab/rottie mix who has never bitten a person ever, and only bitten a dog when provoked. He plays with our cocker puppy very well and takes special care not to hurt. Since all you saw was the aftermath you can't really be sure how it all got started. If a dog is trully aggressive it will be aggressive to everything. He would even turn on you. Your pic showed the family cat laying with him. It's just not an aggressive dog. my 2 cents.

i had three dogs, all of em are big dogs, a gearman sheperd lab ,mix, and a rat terrier mix, and my dog is a lab. my grandfather has chickens, one of them got out and the dogs chased it down and ripped it apart. so when my friends came over they brought their 5 year old, and a 2year old. the dogs never bothered a single one of those kids, and the two year old was pulling their tails and everything else. and the sheperd was 14 years old and a cranky ol *****. but it never once bothered any of the kids. until mine seen the two year old and leaped off the porch and ran her over which was funny cause he just wanted to play cause after she cried he came back and licked her face to make her laugh. dogs like to eat meat, theyre carnivors, chickens and goats are targets for most. children are only attacked if the dog is provoked. it all depends on their environment. if the owner is mean to the neighbors and passers by then nine times out of ten the dog will accept that as the way to be. its all how you teach them.

I will better explain the picture above. The dog that attacked this guy's fiance never showed a single amount of aggression. She was sitting on the couch and the dog lunged and latched onto her face growling and snarling. Now she knew the dog very well for most of it's life and had played with the dog on many occassions. Her future husband had to put the dog in a choke hold and nearly knock it out before it let go.

Another story of unprovoked aggression came from my uncle's dog. He walked up to one of my cousin's young boys who was sitting on the lawn and sat beside the young boy. The dog sat there looking at the kid and when the kid turned his head to look at the dog the dog lunged and snapped the kid's face. Didn't do any damage as the dog was tackled pretty quick.

Anyone who says it's impossible for their dog to bite a human is sadly mistaken.

And when kids are concerned a dog will know no difference between that kid and any other small animal.

I am sorry I have to go back on my never posting ever again long enough to say----
Drache you have to learn to AGREE TO DISAGREE AND LET IT GO. After reading your rants today I feel all dogs should be locked in a cage and displayed just like in the zoo. You have disagreed with just about every dog loving posts. I think you have gotten your point across and should take a chill pill. I along with many others will continue to keep our dogs and do our best to understand them. I love my pets will not lock them up and if I do it will be to protect them. And heelers are called that because their nature is to nip at the heels of animals to get them moving to where their owner has trained them to put them. Last but not least I would trust a strange dog more than a strange person!
Have a good day if I stepped on your foot it was in the way and at least my dog didn't bite it. My rant is over guess I'll get banned now.

I am sorry I have to go back on my never posting ever again long enough to say----
Drache you have to learn to AGREE TO DISAGREE AND LET IT GO. After reading your rants today I feel all dogs should be locked in a cage and displayed just like in the zoo. You have disagreed with just about every dog loving posts. I think you have gotten your point across and should take a chill pill. I along with many others will continue to keep our dogs and do our best to understand them. I love my pets will not lock them up and if I do it will be to protect them. And heelers are called that because their nature is to nip at the heels of animals to get them moving to where their owner has trained them to put them. Last but not least I would trust a strange dog more than a strange person!
Have a good day if I stepped on your foot it was in the way and at least my dog didn't bite it. My rant is over guess I'll get banned now.

First off why would you get banned? Nothing has been said to account for a banning. That said I love my dogs, I play with my dogs, I pet my dogs, hell I even let the dogs sleep on the bed from time to time (although they have their own couch). My dogs have free run of the entire ranch. They never leave the ranch and they dont chase the animals.

What I am saying is if people want their dogs to be trustful then they need to curb some of the instincts that dogs have, one of those instincts is letting them chase after something and letting them kill animals. And by chasing I mean nipping at the heels or flanks or keeping it running until it collapses.

And that no dog is ever safe from biting/attacking a human no matter what any owner thinks. If a dog falls back onto an instinct then it can easily do it again.

My dogs are taught never to chase livestock for any reason. They can get a first warning if chasing is all they do and they will get punished, that is their warning. But if a dog keeps chasing or worse maims an animal or even worse a human they will be put down immediately as there is no way to trust an animal because you can never know what an animal is thinking.

You can ask any rancher around and even the RCMP around here agree with it.

This same trust goes for any animal that is on the ranch.

Hell my dad had to shoot a cow because it would attack any human that went into the field. We sold a horse for "scrap meat" at the auction for the same reason even after training.

So if we get down to the nitty gritty the dog should not have been left out with the goat alone, I hope we agree with this one. We have 2 Border collie and Aust.Shep cross, each weighed over 65 lbs last vet. visit. These dogs have never had as much as a paper roll on their butts. Both understand hand signals and the worse you can do to them is say BAD DOG that sends them to their house. Like I stated before I've had dogs all my life and always got close enough to them to sense their actions when needed. All told one can't blame an animal for what comes natural, you must blame yourself for putting it in a wrong situation. We all live and learn. Finally we agree to agree. seeya steve

i had three dogs, all of em are big dogs, a gearman sheperd lab ,mix, and a rat terrier mix, and my dog is a lab. my grandfather has chickens, one of them got out and the dogs chased it down and ripped it apart. so when my friends came over they brought their 5 year old, and a 2year old. the dogs never bothered a single one of those kids, and the two year old was pulling their tails and everything else. and the sheperd was 14 years old and a cranky ol *****. but it never once bothered any of the kids. until mine seen the two year old and leaped off the porch and ran her over which was funny cause he just wanted to play cause after she cried he came back and licked her face to make her laugh. dogs like to eat meat, theyre carnivors, chickens and goats are targets for most. children are only attacked if the dog is provoked. it all depends on their environment. if the owner is mean to the neighbors and passers by then nine times out of ten the dog will accept that as the way to be. its all how you teach them.

this is the case right here... plays and licks my little bro-twins 5yrs old... plays ball till they tire...

he guards(walks infront, always alert, very protective) my gf (from other dogs and people) if they go on walks with out me... but if i go he is chill...

but not to sound naive above because i have been attacked by rotties and pit bulls before... had to knock a rottie out with my skateboard when i was like 8 as it had backed me into my front door... that dog later did attack a kid on my street and was put down...

some how i grew wheels and outran the pit...

like i said ive never been a dog person for this reason and never take them for granted...

im sorry if i have brought up anger between anybody

Thx Ed

I had a Timber Sheppard ( half Wolf ) that was not aggressive to other animals unless she had pups around. We had a 6 foot chain link fence around the yard that had barbed tension wire at the bottom. She learned to climb out. Don't think for a minute that wolves and coytes can't figure out how to climb in.

I had a Timber Sheppard ( half Wolf ) that was not aggressive to other animals unless she had pups around. We had a 6 foot chain link fence around the yard that had barbed tension wire at the bottom. She learned to climb out. Don't think for a minute that wolves and coytes can't figure out how to climb in.

I tell people that all the time. Most don't beleve me. I tell them to put a top on there chicken coops. They can go over or under.

As a long time husky/malamute owner I can tell you that it is in the dogs blood to hunt. They LOVE people, LOVE kids but other animals are prey. My last Malamute "Zamboni" was a great dog but he killed 2 ferrets, 2 cats, countless birds and a rabbit. In their eyes by doing this they are contributing to the wellbeing of the family.

THat being said, if the goat was that bad off... right thing done.

^^^^ do not listen

the most important thing about owning a dog is to know that a dog isnt just another dog. each breed has unique charactaristics. It is imperative that you know your dog's breed and what to expect of him/her.

http://www.akc.org/breeds/siberian_husky/

http://www.rescueeverydog.org/husky_breed.html

As is mentioned, very strong prey drive

those were both good reads! and he does everything they say they do...lol... from digging holes to be alert all the time...

I own two pure bread Border Collies and a Border Collie German Shepherd mix. I've also been around livestock so let me say this. All of this could have been avoided if the dog would have been properly trained to begin with. I know very well my Border Collies would tear up a goat unless I took the time to train them properly that the animal is not food and is a member of MY pack. Don't blame the dog blame the owner on this one.

those were both good reads! and he does everything they say they do...lol... from digging holes to be alert all the time...

Huskies are a very unique breed and they need a certain kind of owner.

I am glad that ther were helpful

I had a male Lab for ~16 years, could not be trusted around "ANY" critters, horses, cows, sheep, goats and especially deer, but was totally trustworthy with children.

Having said that, if ether of you have the faintest reservation about the dog's actions get rid of it immediately, better to error seeking safety than

Just get an elephant gun and get close range, that way it'll be quick.

eye for an eye would be to get a pit or bigger dog that would eventually decide to eat his legs off and leave him to die out in the dark somewhere...

Really sorry to hear about your bud. Please don't put the Husky down. None of us know what happened......or how, or why :sad8:

Animals fight sometimes, pets included !!!

You did the right thing for the goat. As for the dog, the idea that once a dog has attacked another animal it becomes dangerous to humans is BS. I had a dog, german shepard/lab mix, that would kill any wild animal that came anywhere near our property. Possums, rabbits, raccoons, even birds! But he was an angel when it came to humans. Never showed any aggression toward any human, not even children that played rough with him.

Looks to me like there are a lot of dog haters on this forum.

I hardly ever post on this site but this is so much BS. ALL YOU MORONS THAT THINK THAT THE DOG SHOULD BE PUT DOWN SHOULD NEVER EVER OWN ANY KIND OF A ANIMAL PERIOD. I have owned and raised hunting dogs and dogs as pets for 40 years. Never once had any dog kill anything that I did not train it to. Taste of blood will make the dog a killer.Wow How many vegitarian wolves have you seen.Yea that where the dog breed came from. 100 Years ago what were dogs used for? Hunting???? We humans have screwed up the dog breed by trying to pussifie them and cross breed dogs to make them cute. They are dogs!!!!! The bigest problem is the owners that think a dog likes a goat as a friend. Goat was food for dogs not to many years ago. That figin goat was more of a danger than the dog. That thing will horn your azz in a flash and you would think that was cute.

Slippery when you talk this way, it's a good thing you 'hardly ever post on this site.' You can make your point without calling people whom you disagree with morons.

BULLSHIT that dog aint a killer!!! if that goat was in pieces that DOG is a KILLER and needs to be put down before it harms a child......once a dog has tasted blood....I don't care who has been around animals or not if a dog KILLS something it is a killer plain & simple and "PLAYING" does not involve tearing something apart with its teeth...THAT AINT PLAYING!!!!
Huntiung dogs that bite the bird are called "egg suckers" and get put down on a regular basis. IF that do killed another animal it is a killer PERIOD, it certainly aint no goat baby sitter!!!

so sorry a dog that kills is a killer, some dogs are nice to children for years then something snaps and they revert....if allowed to kill on a regular basis the dog thinks this is OK behavior and all it takes IS ONCE!!! DO you really want to answer the MOM that says can I have my daughters fingers back OR get sued up the *** because your killer dog attacked ang injured or killed a child...NO thanks....YOU animal wizzards can take that chance if you choose, I prefer to eliminate the possibility if I see ANY killer behavior from a DOMESTICATED ANIMAL....the possibility of harming children is NOT a chance I am willing to take.....HUMANS TAKE PRECEDENCE PERIOD

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back