Water coming from under dash

-

mrichard

Reaction score
I have a 72 base Dart, 4 door, slant six, NO options. No PS, A/C, etc. Very stripped down model. I'm getting water in the car on driver and passenger side from under the dash in heavy prolonged downpours.

I'm going to try to seal the windshield first and see if that works. But I'm wondering if there are some common places of failure I can look at.

If it's coming un from the cowl, I have no idea how to get into that area. It looks all sealed to me from the engine compartment and the grill area under the windshield wipers. So how do I access that?

Any ideas, suggestions, help here would be MOST appreciated.

Mark

You can acces the cowl by removing the fenders or reaching up through the vent boxes. Either way is not fun. There are a few threads here on the subject.

Hey thanks for the help here. Looks like I have my Thanksgiving project now. Just need to buy the beer. I bought both gasket kits and will give it a shot.

Do the zerk fitting mod on the pivots that Schumacher suggests too. Added insurance.

I've seen all of the following cause an interior leak....wiper pivots/seals/gaskets; windshield gasket; rusted out cowl; and plugged cowl drains.

I have a 70 Duster that I bought new; it leaked from day one. At the time, I needed the car everyday, and didn't know about "loaners". It was the windshield. Only use butyl.

Cover the cowl tape, whatever, and arms, then dribble water on the windshield first, and check. Then dribble arms, then lower to the cowl.

Open the right vent box and see if there is water in it. There is a thick round foam seal between the top of that box and the cowl opening that fails too. It's really not a water seal but if it's curled out of position it can wick water into the car.

-
Back