Water in Oil

-

plumkrazee70

Reaction score
My 340 was rebuilt about 3 years ago, barely has 500 miles on it. I pulled it to rebuild the front end and paint the engine bay, that spiraled into a full blown resto-mod mod

It was storeid in my insulated garage, bagged. It had 5 qts of VR-1 10w30 and whatever coolant in the block, that wasn't drained when the motor was pulled.

Fast forward to tonight, I was ready to put the motor back in and when I drained the oil, the first 3 seconds or so was pure water (not coolant green, clear water) then the oil started flowing.

I drained it all out and then pulled the pan, cleaned it and the pickup. I peeked up at the cylinders and they all looked perfect.

I know the water was the oil breaking down along with the temp changes, but my question is what should I do to prevent this happening again before I fire it up, which probably won't happen for at least another 6 months, maybe a year. (Being realistic.)

Thanks for any help. Sorry for long post. Here are some pics of the install.

IMG_20190222_234225038.jpg

IMG_20190223_012301987.jpg

IMG_20190223_012847389.jpg

, the first 3 seconds or so was pure water (not coolant green, clear water)

I know the water was the oil breaking down along with the temp changes,

There is ZERO CHANCE that much water is from condensation. Since it does not seem to be coolant, someone PUT IT THERE in my opinion.

Either that or the engine was somehow in a place where water dripped / spilled/ rained into it, or the block (cooling passages) someone put water in there (and forgot) and it actually DID leak from the cooling passages into the pan..........in which case you have a problem......intake gaskets, timing cover / cover gaskets, or a block or head problem.

There is ZERO CHANCE that much water is from condensation. Since it does not seem to be coolant, someone PUT IT THERE in my opinion.

Either that or the engine was somehow in a place where water dripped / spilled/ rained into it, or the block (cooling passages) someone put water in there (and forgot) and it actually DID leak from the cooling passages into the pan..........in which case you have a problem......intake gaskets, timing cover / cover gaskets, or a block or head problem.

Really? Wow, I didn't think that would be the case. It definitely didn't get rained on, it's been inside the whole time and bagged. I did hose it down when I painted it (after I cleaned it) maybe I didn't plug all the passages?

Well I'm gonna run it and keep an eye on it. So I can just refill with oil?

U could plug water ports put hoses on and pressurize it to 16pds with air. See if it leaks down. Spray plugs with soapy water if bubbles it’s leaking at plug. I’d probably go with when u washed it that is the cause as well.

I'm not too worried. I'm sure it was when I hosed it down to paint it. I'll grab some oil today and fill her up.

This man's an optimist!

The washdown theory seems plausible.. I don't think antifreeze separates out from water. Was there any milkiness in the oil? That would indicates mixing while operating, as opposed to the water coming in separately.

I'd 100% surely pull the valve covers at least, and look there. And then squirt a teaspoon of oil in each spark plug hole and rotate the engine by hand with no plugs in. If it is stuck, or rotates super hard anywhere, then you darned well ought to investigate more.

This man's an optimist!

The washdown theory seems plausible.. I don't think antifreeze separates out from water. Was there any milkiness in the oil? That would indicates mixing while operating, as opposed to the water coming in separately.

I'd 100% surely pull the valve covers at least, and look there. And then squirt a teaspoon of oil in each spark plug hole and rotate the engine by hand with no plugs in. If it is stuck, or rotates super hard anywhere, then you darned well ought to investigate more.

When I pulled the dipstick it looked like fresh oil. Like brand new. I'm going to read for it filled with oil tonight reprime the motor and turn it over with the plugs out. I'm really sure it's fine.

Did you get 5 qts of oil out of it?

If the water got in during the water wash, the only way into the pan is past the rings....... if a significant amount of time has pasted since she got the bath, you can bet the water sat, and some may still be, sitting on top of the pistons, and the rings are rusting as we speak. I vote pull the plugs and blow the holes out with compressed air. If/when you find holes with still water still in them, you'll have to make a decision...

"I would bet" your washing the engine is the cause of this.

I agree with Del. Water got in when you washed it. There's no other way.

UPDATE:

Filled up oil, primed, pulled the plugs, and blew out each one and no water at all. Motor turns over with ease. So I think we're all set.

Water coulda gone in the breather hole....

Reminds me of a radio station owner my dad knew; he told the handy man to clean out the station's van. The handy man opened all the doors and hosed it out... LOL

I washed my 340 late in the summer so it would be clean on dis-assembly in the spring. Thought I blocked everything. Kept in heated garage. wound up with water in one cylinder and had to bore 20 over to get the pitting out. wished I never washed it !

-
Back