Water in trunk after heavy rain

-

Patrick's74Custom

Reaction score
Hi. i have a 1974 Dart that collects water in the trunk after a good rain. I have been just toweling it dry when this happens. I tried searching trunk leaks and water leak with no luck. Where is the water most likely entering? All i can guess is the rear window seal and if that's true, what product would you recommend? I'm guessing this is a big problem with Darts, as I've heard that a few have rusted out trunks. Thanks!

Sometimes it is the trunk seal. Use the hose on only the trunk lid area, then afterward pop the trunk see if that could be it. I don't know if you have tried that yet.I have heard of vinyl tops(don't know if you have one of course) running some water underneath the clips around the rear of the top having the water finding itself into the trunk. Hope that helps.

Is the trunk discolored about where the trunk pan/wheelhouse/mid pan come together?

Might be the corner of your window leaking. Mine has the same issue, the window gasket or rusted channel.

I have a 76 Duster that had the same problem.It appeared the water was coming in at the front (below window) and leaking toward the rear,but was in fact coming in the rear and going forward.
as it turns out there was a slightly loose end on the trunk seal where the two ends meet and a small amount of rust was forming and lifting the gasket. I cleaned it up and reglued it and all is good.Good luck-rag

I had the same problem and it was the window seal. I went to the Glass shop and they used butyl seems to have stopped my problem, eventually will need a new rubber seal.Just ask at any good glass shop they will know.

For the cost of a trunk seal, I would replace it if it is original. It has to be shot. Then watch for a leak. If it is the rear window leaking there isn't a quick, easy fix. The window will need to be removed and reinstalled.

I have the same problem with my 69 Dart and they are notorious for leaking at the corners of the rear window. I haven't quite solved my problem yet. You might be able to see the tell tale water marks along the hinges. The trunk has a fairly large lip as well as the seal so you would have a hard time getting water in that way even with a pressure washer.

Thanks for the speedy replies! I will try the water hose test tomorrow to try and narrow down the source of the leak. It seems like it happens more when it sits, but it is garaged for the most part. It does have a vinyl top too.

If it leaks when it sits it is most likely to be the glass seal or trunk. If it happens while driving it could be the rear wheel wells splashing up. Instead of using a hose try putting some one in the trunk (closed) while some one else goes around the outside with a strong light-do not forget the side marker lights!

I believe the window seal is the most likely cause, but I would sit in there with a drop light while a very trusted friend (or wife) shoots it with a hose.

I believe the window seal is the most likely cause, but I would sit in there with a drop light while a very trusted friend (or wife) shoots it with a hose.
Better use a battery powered light so you don't get a shock.

DEFF the rear window seal my 74 has a rear window leak into the trunk and I have a new gasket and bueytel stuffed, but still leaks..... paddock gasket so I will have to buy a better one in better shape down the road

Attachments

• IMG_0598.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 427
Hi. I enlisted a cute assistant to help me find the leak-but I was the one that ended up in the trunk and she held the flashlight! I couldn't see any light shining thru. But the previous owner definitely tried to patch the rear window with some sort of blackish material. I can see that the corners of the bottom have gaps and inside the trunk the left quarter panel has some rust colored tracks. I think I will head to a glass shop and see if they can reseal it, I don't think I want anyone removing the glass-not just yet!

My '75 4 dr Valiant trunk has water leaks too! The water appears to be coming from somewhere just above where the wheel tubs are located (water drips down the tubs and pools in the low spots of the trunk pan behind the spare tire well). I have crawled around inside the trunk with a flashlight investigating for colour (rust) and have found surface rust on the underneath side of the back windshield deck (obviously from water trickling/collecting there from wherever the source may be). I have seen enough pictures of Valiants and Darts rusted out where the roof meets the rear quarter panel to think that may be the entry point. I have yet to remove the interior plastic/fiber panel (located between the rear door window frame and the rear windshield glass) to investigate as to the extent of rust damage, if that is indeed where the water is coming from. I'm thinking that there is water coming from underneath the vinyl top where the drip rails sit and running down to collect and pool and rust and make its way into the trunk. Mine leaks sitting in the rain and when driving.

I've had a look at the windshield seals and the trunk seals and not found them to be the problem... yet. The water appears to be coming from up higher than the windshield seal. There's wet up above the wheelhouse/tub between the inside of the quarter panel/roof weld and the near side structure (rear deck) of the car.

Slant6/4Speed mentioned the possibility of water splashing from the wheel wells when driving and I thought this to be the case as well, but the water is very definitely coming from the same place whether it is driven or if it sits for any amount of time. From up (several inches) above the windshield seal.

and, Patrick's74Custom, were you successful in fixing your leak?

Hi there. Sorry for the delayed response. My answer to the problem was inside storage, keeping it out of rain and towel drying the trunk after washing. I think the only real solution is rear window gasket replacement, but there are no guarantees that will completely seal either. I might just have a glass shop apply some butyl at the corners, see what that does.

Yeah.... that sounds like pretty much the same thing I'm going to have to do as well. Still haven't positively found the source of the leak, but apart from tearing out the whole back seat and rummaging around upside down in there I don't know what to do.

I am fortunate to have covered storage/parking, but when it comes to driving in the rain, I get inches of water in the trunk splashing around all over the place. Of course, it's worse now that I've patched up the rust holes in the trunk. I have strategically placed sponges soaking up the worst of the water, but that gets mighty cold on the hands squeezing them out once they're saturated...

Thank you for your response, Patrick's74Custom. : )

maybe i can help as mine idid the same thing...the 69 i have and the car you have are the same besides the tail section...windows and roof are even the same....my roof came from a 74. If it has a vinyl top there will be clips in there for the trim piece closest to the trunk......and they are notorious for collecting water and making pin holes..,...and covering rust

There is also the stainless trim that goes around the back windshield...the clips there also rust out.....after the water sits on the paint there for years

with the vinyl its worse because the vinyl from the factory was porous and saturated every time it rained it got wet...it was the paint underneath the vinyl that protected the metal...when the water finally cuts through the paint...it creates the hole.....water is like really fine sand paper. vibrations from the car make it sand your paint in areas where water sits....good paint is key....primer back then as well as now is like a sponge and does not protect the metal underneath...it makes the situation worse.....

Epoxy primer is water proof and is all i use

my leak was coming in through the back window channel at one of the clips and under the vinyl....i could not see it with the flashlight method. when i took the windshield out...it was very rusted.....even with the trim piece off the car...the clip covered the hole and the flashlight didnt work....i had to replace and make a piece to fit.

also with the vinyl top i had.....it created the holes on the lower end under the back windshield....the vinyl top covered the holes and the flashlight method did not work there either....

the trunk lip is really tall and is probably not the problem...even if the seals were bad the lip would keep water out

by the time i fixed it.....it had trashed the trunk.....gas tank (on the top of the tank it rusted through and the rust got in the gas) ....inner quarters.....outer quarters....and trunk extensions

back window seals are very easy to fix compared to all the sheet metal work i had to do to make it water proof......

i removed the glass with a non smooth guitar string.....or the tool you can buy.....cleaned up the glass which is tempered and not nearly as bad as a windshield.....put the seal around it and glued it back in with windshield glue and a new seal......painted the area i replaced and have not had a problem since. I always put 4 coats of paint and clear in these areas that are where the water is naturally going to flow and where it is going to sit.....like the lower front door jambs and window channels.....sorry so long winded....hope it helps

on an after thought.....my problem right now is in the front of the car.....over the years, dirt and leaves have gotten into my air inlet grill under the windshield and stayed there around the towers on each end that keep water from entering the air ducts on the driver and passenger side.....the rain and dirt ate that area out....i have to cut it all out and replace it under the panel the windshield wipers sit on......what a mess...i think from now on after its fixed and painted in there i will force high pressure water in there to make sure it stays clean...it sat under a tree for years.....by the time i cleaned it out....caked dirt came out.....i took the fenders off and the drain hole was clogged on each side....just a side note to look out for.....it trashed my carpet.....heater duct towers under the panel...... and is on its way to the floor boards....

ill post pictures of the repair and the damage when i tear into it....

I have a 74 dart as well and have the problem but traced it to the seals in the rear tail lights.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/290376623899?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I also had a vynal top and when it is removed shows just how bad they rot at the bottom of the rear window. Try spraying water at your tail light and tell me they don't leak. I'd be surprised if that isn't part of the problem since water drains right down the trunk channel onto the light bezel. The water then traveled to the front of the trunk.

-
Back