Water intake nipple corroded

-

Vali68

Reaction score
I have this Slant 6 out of a 70 dart that I picked up from a guy to go into my 68 Valiant and it looks like they been running straight water in the motor for a long time. Everything is rusty!!!!
When I removed the top water return for the heater core, I noticed the nipple for the hose was falling apart at the very top. Should I attempt to replace it or just leave it alone and use it as it is? There is about a 1/4 inch missing on the top. I'm afraid that if I attempt to remove it, It will either crumble or break off short in the head and then how do I get it out?

I have a picture of the nipple I am referring to. It goes into the top of the head close to the water pump which is underneath it.

Attachments

• water nipple.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 221
Sounds like it's going to need to be removed and replaced at some point anyway....
If you don't feel rite about doing it yourself. Find a good shop to help you out. But don't let it leave you sitting or overheating the motor out on the road somewhere.

Replace it. It is a common problem on GM 3.1 motors. We take a hacksaw blade and score it deep enough with two cuts to either turn out or break it out with a screwdriver. It's not a big deal.

You can fill the ID of the nipple with a solid piece of steel so it doesn't collapse and grab it with a pipe wrench. Doesn't always work.
If it breaks off you can still split it with a hacksaw and drive a keen chisel under it to curl it up.

Thanks. It's going into a 68 Valiant.The motor came out of a 70 Dart. The motor is now on my stand in the garage.

The motor is now on my stand in the garage.
You will never have easier access, though this is a fairly accessible area with an engine in the car, and not too difficult a job. If the pipe collapses as you try to turn it, that will just make it easier to fold in, which makes it looser. Worst case, you could drill the pipe until the walls are thin, then fold it in with a chisel. There is a plumbing tool which grabs the inside of a pipe to let you turn it with a socket wrench, but don't use that if inside the head since it expands the pipe.

Wrap the new pipe's threads with teflon tape or coat with gasket sealant or pipe dope. That will make it much easier to remove in 30 years. If you must replace the short water hose between the head and water pump, buy some silicone heater hose as it is much more flexible, so you won't spend an hour trying to work the hose in, and lasts almost forever.

-
Back