Water leaking from Heater Box

-

72Dart360

Reaction score
After the A/C had been running for a while, I notice a steady stream of water coming from the bottom of the heater box causing the passenger side carpet to get soaked. I smelled the water to make sure no coolant was present. I double checked the drain under the hood and it is not clogged as water was coming from there as well.

What do I check inside the heater box?

You may need to just seal up the seam in the bottom of the box to force the condensation to come out the drain only.
You can also add another drain tube if you need to, and you are not opposed to it.

The condensation is a normal side effect of an AC unit.
This is why you see a puddle under almost every car in a parking lot on a hot day.

There should be a drain tube that goes through a hole in the firewall. You probably don't have the tube through the hole properly, and the condensation is going into the interior. Make sure that the drain tube is not bent/damaged and passes through the hole in the firewall for it. then the condensation will drip down under the car like it's supposed to.

Try pushing a wire into the drain tube (engine bay firewall). Sometimes crud is just plugging it up and you can pull it out. My 69 Dart had a galvanized drain pan that had corroded thru. I put a copper sheet under it and soldered to the drain tube.

-
Back