.. water-methanol injection ?? ..

-

mopar66

Reaction score
just looking for some comments from some people experienced in this arena please ...

finishing up a street-build '66 cuda with a warmed over 318/904 combo ..
the engine dyno had it at a little under 300 HP with 310 ft/lb torque .. not that I will need it, but I was hoping for just a tad over 300 HP from the engine but fell a little short .. don't want to tear motor down again for additional head work or cam work at this point ... and don't want to add NOS because of the extra stress on the engine and the money involved wouldn't be worth it for my application ..
BUT, I read an article recently on a water-methanol injection system which is more friendly to the engine (and less costly) than NOS >> not the HP add that NOS gives, but it falls into the less ventured / so less gain category .. but it seems like a good compromise to get me into just a little more HP when I want it, with minimum more stress/complication on the motor side ..

does anybody out there currently run a water-methanol injection system now ?? .. planning on it ?? .. know anybody that does .. or have any experience/knowledge about them ?? ...

the system I was looking at is from Snow Performance ..

please advise .. thank you for your time

My friend is running it on a supercharged application in road racing. During some chassis dyno runs we did it actually hurt power output. It may not of been set up right, I don't know, but we still use it to cool the intake charge and to help with detonation issues as the motor is some what high compression and running 8 pounds of boost.

For the horsepower your running, if you don't have detonation problems running your fuel and the optimum timing. I don't see you gaining horsepower on the meth/water injection alone. I'm no expert on the subject however maybe someone else will chime in.

I agree. Water is primarily to cool combustion when supercharged and reduce knock. Unless you are running a lot of compression ratio and or boosted I don't see this gaining a thing.

"Why doesn't everybody do it?" might be to ponder

Many decades ago, I adapted my windshield washer pump to a nozzle in the top of my Air Cleaner, helped my 13/1 - 340 stop rattling ,,

then milled the pistons a few times..

There is an article in one of the recent Mopar magazines about using i ton a n/a motor. That being said it does work very well in a boosted build, lot of folks use it in place of the intercooler. It works well here, compressing air creates a on of heat, the water/meth will drop the ait, which in turn allows more timing. But with out the air intake charge being heated from compression I don't see how it will help....But what the hell do I know????

I watched a video on youtube because I was interested in it. They had a 350 nova and installed it. Then they did a baseline without it and then with it. It made 4rwhp extra. So for just 4 hp I'll save my 300 to 600 bucks.

I am not sure on the gas engines but it is used alot on diesels one to cool the air charge and the egts (exsauts gas temps.) down and the methanol is suppose to work like octane boost on both gas and or diesel engines. now the compay that makes the water/methanol systems makes there own solution, think it is 50/50 mix but not sure, but you can run the blue windshield washer fluid. i think it is 20% methanol

I watched a video on youtube because I was interested in it. They had a 350 nova and installed it. Then they did a baseline without it and then with it. It made 4rwhp extra. So for just 4 hp I'll save my 300 to 600 bucks.

That is because without pressurizing the intake charge the temperature of it stays reasonable, once you pressurize it the temp goes up alot. I should plug my scanner into my truck and drive it to see what it does. You can build a home brewed water/meth injection kit for alot less than that...

That is because without pressurizing the intake charge the temperature of it stays reasonable, once you pressurize it the temp goes up alot. I should plug my scanner into my truck and drive it to see what it does. You can build a home brewed water/meth injection kit for alot less than that...

I would like to try it and use my windshield jug as the bottle for the system. Basically to keep it stock looking.

Inkjunkie is spot on. Water/methanol kits definitely help on a boosted or very high compression engine but really do nothing for naturally aspirated builds. What you may want to try is cooling your fuel. You can go the oldschool cool can setup or a co2 charge setup like dei offers. A cooler fuel charge temp is usually good for a tenth or two in track times so HP gain is real. First time i used moroso cool can on my 65 cuda when going to track regulatory ran a freak 8.12 in 1/8 mile as opposed to usual 8.5's. leveled off in 8.3 range.

Oldschoolcuda

Attachments

• cryo2-fuelchiller-kit.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 149
  • MOROSOcoolcan.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 158
Inkjunkie is spot on. Water/methanol kits definitely help on a boosted or very high compression engine but really do nothing for naturally aspirated builds. What you may want to try is cooling your fuel. You can go the oldschool cool can setup or a co2 charge setup like dei offers. A cooler fuel charge temp is usually good for a tenth or two in track times so HP gain is real. First time i used moroso cool can on my 65 cuda when going to track regulatory ran a freak 8.12 in 1/8 mile as opposed to usual 8.5's. leveled off in 8.3 range.

Oldschoolcuda
That sounds good. I'm running 8.0s with my car. With tunning and traction I figure I'll hit 7s soon. Well in the spring now.

I bet cold air induction would help a few, As good as methanol injection. Airplanes use it for takeoff but thats forced induction too i believe.

I understand that on lower comp N/A engines gains are minimal but can be pretty decent on higher comp.
I'm am going to run the snow performance setup on my 12.5 to 1 360 soon and see what it does.
If it means I can run pump gas it will more than pay for itself very quickly.

-
Back