water pump block off

-
Sounds funny but I used heater hose and a chrome shanked lug nut. I just filled some theads into the shank so the hose had some thing to grip to when clamped. May look a bit funny but much safer than any thing you can buy for it!!!

I used those rubber caps for years with no problems. The last few years, though, they must be using cheap rubber. They just don,t last. They will crack and leak within about a year. I would stay away from the rubber caps. I have a water pump, from a slant six, that someone TIG welded an aluminum cap onto the nipple.

Drill it and tap it. looks alot better to me anyway. I took out my heater box and heater motor then smothed out my firewall . It looks a lot cleaner. Dont drive it much when its cold.

In the summer I disconnect and block off the heater so it's a little cooler in the car. Tried 2 of those rubber caps (bought at NAPA) and both ended up leaking. After the 2nd leaked I measured the i.d. of the nipple and it was perfect to tap for a 7/16" fine thread bolt.
Fishy, that is a beautiful color and your engine bay looks like a million bucks...very nice.
Sounds funny but I used heater hose and a chrome shanked lug nut. I just filled some theads into the shank so the hose had some thing to grip to when clamped. May look a bit funny but much safer than any thing you can buy for it!!!
thats really not a bad idea, i have a ton of mag lug nuts lol

I used those rubber caps for years with no problems. The last few years, though, they must be using cheap rubber. They just don,t last. They will crack and leak within about a year. I would stay away from the rubber caps. I have a water pump, from a slant six, that someone TIG welded an aluminum cap onto the nipple.
this is what im worried about with the caps. the last thing i need is to have it pop and shoot my coolant out going down the road.

Drill it and tap it. looks alot better to me anyway. I took out my heater box and heater motor then smothed out my firewall . It looks a lot cleaner. Dont drive it much when its cold.

i dont use the car in the winter either and the heater core has been removed . i may go ahead and tap and plug it. i need to make up my mind in next couple of days

thank you everyone for your input. i only want to do this one time and not have to worry about it. it would seem the rubber caps would only deteriorate over time and eventually fail. tapping and plugging it seems to be a more permanent solution

Over 19 years and not 1 problem with the mag lug nut. Just replace hose every couple years. To each there own. We tried the rubber cap on brothers car and three weeks old at the drag strip it blew open!! So never again for any of our cars.

I did the tap trick. If I remember right I didn't have to drill it. Used an allen headed pipe plug then slipped the hose back over it.

Hughes Engines has the PRW water pump for $135. Its the same as the Edelbrock pump.

Sweet. I was looking at the PRW site as well, it's $157 over there. Sometimes hughes engines has good deals. I bought my powdercoated black nascar edition Airgap manifold for 300 shipped. ($100 savings)

Fishy, that is a beautiful color and your engine bay looks like a million bucks...very nice.

Thank you. I stripped it last year and had the engine bay repainted then I installed the new 408. Wish the rest of the car looked as good. Maybe some day I'll have the cabbage to spare...:-k

-
Back