Water pump bolt broke off

-

Originalowner73 340duster

Reaction score
The top luckily bolt broke off and I tried to drill it out and got half way threw center of broken bolt and of course the drill bit broke...just want it out their is room I can put a bolt and nut on back of it if I can make a hole..any ideas on how to get it out or just drill threw it ...do I need to drill closest to the sides and work my way around it?? Any help would be appreciated..

If you have enough sticking out, I have gotten every single one of those frozen bolts by multiple hits on the end of it with a hammer and some penetrant.
I have even had to pry the timing cover off of one, and then get it out of the block.

If you have enough sticking out, I have gotten every single one of those frozen bolts by multiple hits on the end of it with a hammer and some penetrant.
I have even had to pry the timing cover off of one, and then get it out of the block.
Unfortunately not enough sticking out!!

Probably best to just pull the cover. 65'

15222840771481742470815.jpg

15222841019262142896138.jpg

1522284115136971677458.jpg

Grind the bolt flat on the end. Be careful not to hit gasket surface. Next use a center punch and make a divot dead center. Use a small drill bit and drill through. Increase the bit size and drill again. Once you get it drilled you can try an EZ out. If you have a small torch you can carefully heat what is left of the bolt cherry red and let it cool before using ez out. The heat will expand the bolt and break the corrosion. You can also spray some penetrating oil around the threads as its cooling. The oil will wick into the threads.
That's an easy one, should be out in 10 minutes or less.

I can’t imagine fixing that in the car. I’d probably pull It and fix it once.

Grind the bolt flat on the end. Be careful not to hit gasket surface. Next use a center punch and make a divot dead center. Use a small drill bit and drill through. Increase the bit size and drill again. Once you get it drilled you can try an EZ out. If you have a small torch you can carefully heat what is left of the bolt cherry red and let it cool before using ez out. The heat will expand the bolt and break the corrosion. You can also spray some penetrating oil around the threads as its cooling. The oil will wick into the threads.
That's an easy one, should be out in 10 minutes or less.
I ground it flat not flush with gasket surface..but my problem is when I drilled it the bit broke off half way in...

Get it to a buddy’s with a mig welder , tag a nut on it let it cool Bob’s your uncle the heat gets in and should come out

Another option is a left handed drill bit. Best $35 I've spent. Snap on or Lisle has them. Start small and gradually go up in size. Lube the f outta it. And gentle heat.
Rotsa ruck.

He’s got a broken bit in it already it either has to come off or the mig welder trick , I do it all the time with exhaust studs in aluminium heads might take a couple try’s but always works for me.

He’s got a broken bit in it already it either has to come off or the mig welder trick , I do it all the time with exhaust studs in aluminium heads might take a couple try’s but always works for me.
Will let you guys know that happens tomorrow..thanks for help

well "I" would , as in "me" , take a pair of vice grips and grab ahold of that bolt end sticking out of the backside and continue it's journey on out being as that hole is tapped all the way through.

-
Back