water pump issue

-

shustreng70

Reaction score
Recently water pump went out (225 3.7L Slant Six) and i bought a new one but the impeller fins are turned opposite direction. Why would this be? I checked all the parts places in area and all they had was backwards even if I told them no a/c it still the same part. I did manage to FINALLY find one like original. My question I guess would it matter? I say yes

IMG_20160621_201701419.jpg

IMG_20160621_201714234.jpg

Last edited:
Little if any... The angle of the impellers is the same only the reinforcement is different.

Since the flat parts are back very near to the back of the impeller cavity, it should make little or no difference.

Thanks guys! I wasn't sure if flanged part that goes against block would make a difference. I really couldn't wrap my brain around why after all these years they would change the design. glad to see your input slantsixdan. read some of the forum going to read rest tomorrow may have another question

No. There is no A/C vs. non-A/C slant-6 water pump impeller, like there is on some V8s. The 1960 170 engine had a 3-1/4" diameter impeller. The 1960 225 had a 3-1/2" impeller. For 1961, the 170 got the 225's larger impeller, and all slant-6s have had 3-1/2" impellers since then. Blade count and design is as described in the linked thread: production date and manufacturer, not whether the car has A/C.

Ever seen a water pump go so bad that it ate into the timing cover or whatever behind it ? Recon what effect the different blade design has in those cases ? For better or for worse... until death of the part.

I read Dan's link. Very interesting read.
I'll just add a few small "data points".

In Mopar small-block world, we resolved the following - factory AC cars had 6-blade impellers and non-AC had 8-blades (usually?). The difference probably wasn't due to better cooling, because no extra cost so why not give everyone the best? The difference was probably because the w.p. pulley diameter varied between AC and non-AC cars. But, I don't think the later is true in slants.

From general engineering, I learned that centrifugal pump/fans come with blades either straight, foward-curved, or backward-curved. We studied mostly fans (HVAC). The curvature affects the "pump curve", i.e. delta pressure vs rpm relation. Forward-facing are more sensitive to rpm, backward facing are more forgiving (less sensitivity to rpm), is my recollection but haven't worked with it since school. The water pumps in my other vehicles all have straight blades that aim at the center, best I recall.

One question of mine, is gasketing. I recently re-installed the w.p. on my slant (didn't notice the blade count). I put a paper gasket on each side of the sheet-metal barrier. Is that correct and/or OK, or even better? I used Permatex "gasket sealant" on both sides of each gasket (sticky rubber liquid).

One question of mine, is gasketing. I recently re-installed the w.p. on my slant (didn't notice the blade count). I put a paper gasket on each side of the sheet-metal barrier. Is that correct

Yes. That is the one and only correct way to do it.

-
Back