Water Separator for E85 Fuel Cell

-

clinteg

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone here uses E85 with an aluminum fuel cell. From what I understand, the ethanol tends to pull moisture from the air and you could get water in your system over time. With the way these fuel cells have big open vents, that does concern me a little as I don't plan on having E85 in the cell for short periods of time and draining it. The fuel will be there 24/7. With that being said, I had an idea to try and solve that problem by installing a water separator on the end of the vent line to help remove moisture from the air that enters the cell. Maybe something like a water separator for a compressor or something. The thing is, I don't that if that would work properly since those are designed to work with a compressed air system. All I want to do is try and prevent as much moisture as I can from accumulating in the cell. Anyone have any experience on this or know if that type of moisture trap would work? Throw your 2 cents out there. :happy1:

Been running E-85 for 5-years now in our drag cars,we don't have aluminum tank's,but about the only way to keep moisture out of any fuel cell is with a simple ball-valve on the vent hose.It also helps to keep it out of the elements while sitting dorment.Just be sure if it does sit for long periods of time to run it a little every couple of weeks.If you are using this fuel in a street car that gets driven every so often,you'll be fine.I guess we've been lucky over the years,never had any issues with water or corrosion like all the other horror stories I've heard.

OK so what you're saying is attach a ball valve on the end of the vent hose to open when you're running it and close it off when you're not? Wouldn't that need to be open for expansion/contraction though even when you're not running the car due to temperature changes at day/night? What do you think about the compressor water separator? Think it would work?

There are tons of additives for this crap gas we get now that will prevent " phase seperation " . I work in the Boat industry and it is a huge problem . Use and additive over a filter ( if you use a filter it has to be 10 micron at least ) . The alchohol also permeates all the rubber in your fuel system and softens it to the point of turning to " goo " . Use an additive to keep water out of fuel , filters dont work too well when water suspends in the fuel any way .

No issues for years with the ball valve.The tank will go under pressure,slight vacuum as temps change,but keep in mind,if the car only sits for a couple of weeks at a time,you don't need to do anything.As far as the separator goes,I don't think it would work unless your talking about the big dessicant filter type.I live in probably one of the most humid regions in the country(it sure feels like),and its just not a big issue.Some guys do like to run an additive such as starbrite,B.G.,etc., just for piece of mind.We just run it pure and love it!

There are tons of additives for this crap gas we get now that will prevent " phase seperation " . I work in the Boat industry and it is a huge problem . Use and additive over a filter ( if you use a filter it has to be 10 micron at least ) . The alchohol also permeates all the rubber in your fuel system and softens it to the point of turning to " goo " . Use an additive to keep water out of fuel , filters dont work too well when water suspends in the fuel any way .

Yes I have read the same thing you're talking about with the boat industry. It does seem to be a much larger problem than it is with cars. My whole fuel system is E85 compatible so I won't have the worry with softening rubber. I'm even getting my fuel cell anodized inside and out to prevent any corrosion issues that could develop. I guess maybe the best thing to do is to use up as much fuel in the tank as possible before refilling and refill the tank maybe more frequently than one would do with regular gas.

No issues for years with the ball valve.The tank will go under pressure,slight vacuum as temps change,but keep in mind,if the car only sits for a couple of weeks at a time,you don't need to do anything.As far as the separator goes,I don't think it would work unless your talking about the big dessicant filter type.I live in probably one of the most humid regions in the country(it sure feels like),and its just not a big issue.Some guys do like to run an additive such as starbrite,B.G.,etc., just for piece of mind.We just run it pure and love it!

Well that sounds promising. I live in Kansas which seems humid, but I've been to Florida and it's definitely more humid there! So if you're not having problems, I can't imagine that I would have any here. This definitely helps!

Yes I have read the same thing you're talking about with the boat industry. It does seem to be a much larger problem than it is with cars. My whole fuel system is E85 compatible so I won't have the worry with softening rubber. I'm even getting my fuel cell anodized inside and out to prevent any corrosion issues that could develop. I guess maybe the best thing to do is to use up as much fuel in the tank as possible before refilling and refill the tank maybe more frequently than one would do with regular gas.

this is what i do hear in AZ during the summer... it gets so hot it just boils the octane right out of your gas in a coupe of days... so ive gotten pretty good about just running enough to get there and back... then to a pump...

-
Back