water temp ports

-

vprace

Reaction score
with only 1 opening in the block for a temp sender and that being used by the computer (5.7 carbed crate) what are you doing for a place to mount the temp senders for gauge and fans?

On my truck timing cover, I took out the thermostat drilled and tapped a 1/8 npt hole for the temp gauge and fans. Some that use the car timing cover put the hole where the casting plug is, somebody might have pics that you can check out.

I put my temp gauge in the 1/4 port on the side of the block. It reads a little on the low side I think, but it fit without too much trouble. You might have to put in a spacer though to keep the tip of the sensor from hitting the cylinder wall.

in the radiator? I had one for the fans in the Rad and for the instrument in the Rad Hose (back in the small block days... )

Isn't there a plugged port on the front side of the cover (car, not truck)? Not sure yet...

You can just barely see where mine is at, the belt is in the way. That should give ya an idea of where to put one.

Attachments

• 3272012 006.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 282
  • 3272012 003.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 271
thanks for the input guys, I will be looking at the front cover close for a spot to drill I guess as thats the only place to get the correct reading. 5.7 looks like a good spot with the compressor moved out, I will have to see if theres room there with it mounted in the stock location?

There is plenty of room with the ac compressor in the stock location. Drill the water housing just behind where the thermostat goes and you golden.

Where on the block is that 1/4" hole? Is it just on crate motors, or would a 2005 LX motor have it as well?

Should be on any motor as far as I know. It's similar to the location of a freeze plug on the side of the block, I think it was between the back two cylinders or in between the middle two, don't remember which. I had one on each side on my 2006 LX engine (from a Charger police car). I have the stock electronic sender unit on one side and a mechanical gauge probe on the other side (because my dash gauge was pretty flakey when I first bought the car). I had to get creative with adapters and bushings to make the mechanical one fit, but the stock electronic sender goes in pretty easy with just one adapter for the 1/8" to 1/4" port.

I think they actually read okay, I thought they read low at first, but when I plugged my laptop in I found out the car runs ice cold. It cruises down the road at 160-165 with no fans running (electric fans). It will climb up to 180-190 in town, and I have my fans set to come on at 200. The mechanical gauge reads a little under 200, maybe 190 when they click on, so it's not too far off. The dash guage is still pretty random though, I think my wiring is pretty old and crispy.

wow I would have expected the temp to be alot cooler that low in the block too. I am still quite aways from this being a problem but noticed it and was thinking ahead.

Yeah, it's about half way up the side of the block. Not sure which way the coolant flows in the new Hemi though. If it's a head first kind of design it might be a little more consistent lower in the block, but I really don't know. The guage does take a while to catch up though. It might lag behind by 20 degrees or more on the first warm up until the system levels out with the thermostat open. I'll have to pay more attention next time and see just how different the numbers are. It might be more like 20 degrees all the time, hard to tell with the mechanical gauge.

looks like the coolant flow is the same as a small block. flows from the bottm up, the triangle at the top of the block would be the hottest spot. there is alot of meat in the top of the thermostat hsg and looks like I will be drilling there for atleast one of the senders. there is a freeze plug hole right next to it that I may tap for the other sender. I just got this motor and am still building the chassis so I am aways from lighting it up! my build is a little deeper than most, I can opened this car and am putting a 2x3 ffame under it!

You can also dill and tap on the other side of the factory sender located at the peak of the block.

-
Back