Wax?/Polish?

-

Sparky

Reaction score
Hey guys, was just in the shop trying different wax I have accumulated over the years.Just wondering what people like and what you find works the best. Include what you find that is user friendly, lasts the longest etc. Have been partial to Meguiers products myself. What do you find best for chrome? Have used Auto sol for years but they want $19 bucks for a tube at Canadien Tire,yikes. have some aluminum/mag wheels that need work also. What are we using that works best on that?
Thanks
Sparky.

I've used water and tinfoil on chrome and it worked very well. Picture of exhaust tips - used tinfoil and water and it took all of the old oxidation and rust off of them making them look brand new.

Blue magic for raw aluminum lately. Or you can try Brasso on the metals as well? Tail panel and grill done with blue magic. Center caps polished with blue magic as well.

20201213_171242.jpg

20201213_171154.jpg

20201213_130935.jpg

20201212_111603.jpg

20201213_171542.jpg

20201209_190634.jpg

Here's a picture I just snapped of the tail pipes, these were pretty nasty when I started on them. The exhaust itself is probably 15-25 years old.

20201213_172517.jpg

I've used Meguiars for years and have never been disappointed.

for painted surfaces, Meguiars is very good, but I've found the liquid "Turtle Wax ICE" line of products like their ceramic sealant, "Seal 'n Shine", or (hybrid)wax, "Spray Wax" to be superior. It is extremely affordable, extremely easy to use, extremely long-lasting. There may be better out there, but NONE are cheaper, or easier to use, or more readily available. The Spray Wax does not harm or chalk or discolor rubber/ vinyl, so you don't have to be concerned about getting it on those surfaces.

Ive tried a few side by side lately and out of them I noticed 'Mothers' paste worked noticeably the best. Little plastic red jar...Canadian Tire didn't have anymore so I picked up 'auto sol' and 'Peek' ...good but not as good. Will have to try out meguires yet.

Ive tried a few side by side lately and out of them I noticed 'Mothers' paste worked noticeably the best. Little plastic red jar...Canadian Tire didn't have anymore so I picked up 'auto sol' and 'Peek' ...good but not as good. Will have to try out meguires yet.

Anybody know how/what to use to get swirl marks out of black paint ??

Hey guys, was just in the shop trying different wax I have accumulated over the years.Just wondering what people like and what you find works the best. Include what you find that is user friendly, lasts the longest etc. Have been partial to Meguiers products myself. What do you find best for chrome? Have used Auto sol for years but they want $19 bucks for a tube at Canadien Tire,yikes. have some aluminum/mag wheels that need work also. What are we using that works best on that?
Thanks
Sparky.

After checking the interweb it seems that Mothers Mag and Aluminum polish is rated right at the top #1 on the pages I have looked at for what it is worth. Have used it before with success. Going to check out Rolite and Chemical Brothers also.

Was just at Canadian tire and there are many different scratch and swirl removers, may be color types too, not sure. I got some Mothers mag and aluminum polish as well as Mothers chrome polish and gave them a quick wipe. Excellent results, took stains off the wheel also. I had a few different waxes and the Meguiers Ultimate seems to give the deepest shine although they are very similar. Ease of use is great. I have some other wax there that takes for ever to buff out(by hand) and I am basing my decision on that also.Those are my choices for now. I know there are some combined wash and wax products out there also, not sure what is best for a quicky tune up in regards to that type of product. Maybe that will be the next test. Anyone had experience with this type of wash with wax included?
Spark

I just used this stuff for the 1st time on my black charger and had real good results. Easy on and off. Also bought the torque wash and polymer but didn't feel like stripping the old wax down 1st.

16079853147154977946246828752242.jpg

16079853379347035725230232825008.jpg

For chrome I use Rim Job (yep, that's the real name). Easy on and off and has a great shine.

Swirls are just fine scratches. You need a really fine compound.

Do you have a buffer? I use what I call 3M stage 3 compound

g?q=tbn:ANd9GcSPSekdleDfN1DaA4AYimqIt2gEpk5ce-y3jYgMvw9yczlrBCXEpav4S0RmnPWL1Pac1WUj0oA&usqp=CAE.jpg

Then use a soft finishing foam pad. Like the least aggressive from any of the "kits".

My method that worked best when I detailed cars at a dealership was to put a real small amount of compound over the affected area and turn the RPMs on my buffer to about 1/2 of what I'd use normally to get out scratches. Then I'd use very light pressure on the buffer and keep it as flat as possible and buff out the swirls. Just the weight of the buffer should be enough to get the job done. If you're having to wipe off a bunch of compound afterward, you used too much compound. The pad should erase almost all the compound by time you're done buffing the area.

Afterward just make sure you don't ever take it through a car wash or use a terry cloth towel on the paint. I'll use a "water blade" and a microfiber to dry. Just remember to apply almost no pressure to the microfiber or you'll start to swirl it again.

I just used this stuff for the 1st time on my black charger and had real good results. Easy on and off. Also bought the torque wash and polymer but didn't feel like stripping the old wax down 1st.

View attachment 1715649179

View attachment 1715649180
Did some research. Interesting stuff, many wax/spray comparisons.Looks like it works real well. Something I will be looking at if I manage to get fresh paint on the Cuda this year.
They also said it can be used with wax. Recommendation was to put the spray down first ,then wax on top. Shiney!!
Thanks

Last edited:
Swirls are just fine scratches. You need a really fine compound.

Do you have a buffer? I use what I call 3M stage 3 compound

View attachment 1715649265

Then use a soft finishing foam pad. Like the least aggressive from any of the "kits".

My method that worked best when I detailed cars at a dealership was to put a real small amount of compound over the affected area and turn the RPMs on my buffer to about 1/2 of what I'd use normally to get out scratches. Then I'd use very light pressure on the buffer and keep it as flat as possible and buff out the swirls. Just the weight of the buffer should be enough to get the job done. If you're having to wipe off a bunch of compound afterward, you used too much compound. The pad should erase almost all the compound by time you're done buffing the area.

Afterward just make sure you don't ever take it through a car wash or use a terry cloth towel on the paint. I'll use a "water blade" and a microfiber to dry. Just remember to apply almost no pressure to the microfiber or you'll start to swirl it again.
I use an electric leaf blower to dry mine.

Thanks
Sparky.

Sparky,

The OEM paint company I worked for did a wax/polish study about 15 or so years ago. The clear winner was a liquid wax called NuFinish (Orange bottle). I've used it exclusively ever since.

3M Finesse It II was the winner in the polish evaluation. I have used it and it works.

My personal preference for metal polish is Mothers aluminum polish.

ss

Sparky,

The OEM paint company I worked for did a wax/polish study about 15 or so years ago. The clear winner was a liquid wax called NuFinish (Orange bottle). I've used it exclusively ever since.

3M Finesse It II was the winner in the polish evaluation. I have used it and it works.

My personal preference for metal polish is Mothers aluminum polish.

ss

Have some of that(nu finish) and like it very much. Put on as my first coat then more wax on top. Mothers is great!

56D531DE-DE24-4506-99EE-31C9FBC6FA7A.jpeg
Have some of that(nu finish) and like it very much. Put on as my first coat then more wax on top. Mothers is great!
I spent some time with my wheels last weekend. Wet sanded w 1500, followed by coarse rubbing compound then Mothers mag/aluminum polish. They really started to shine after the Mothers, so I capped it off with a Meguiars paste wax. I’m happy.

View attachment 1715650698
I spent some time with my wheels last weekend. Wet sanded w 1500, followed by coarse rubbing compound then Mothers mag/aluminum polish. They really started to shine after the Mothers, so I capped it off with a Meguiars paste wax. I’m happy.

Love em, my favorite wheel for sure! Just spent two hours on a wheel from my mustang, looks like new. Think I will try the wax on top also. Cuda wheels next, just like yours. Hope they come out as nice as yours.

View attachment 1715650698

Been working on them, going to put some nu finish on also. Doing the stang wheels and the Cuda wheels will be next. Hope my slots end up looking like yours.
Wheels make a car I feel. Had a 64 f85 Cutlass with hub caps and I put on some cragars and it made all the difference in the world, looked like a different car.
Sparky

DSCF3177.JPG

DSCF3179.JPG

DSCF3181.JPG

DSCF3182.JPG

Been working on them, going to put some nu finish on also. Doing the stang wheels and the Cuda wheels will be next. Hope my slots end up looking like yours.
Wheels make a car I feel. Had a 64 f85 Cutlass with hub caps and I put on some cragars and it made all the difference in the world, looked like a different car.
Sparky

View attachment 1715651857

View attachment 1715651858

View attachment 1715651859

View attachment 1715651860
Lookin good! What are those center caps on the slots?

-
Back