We avoided disaster on our 5.2 Magnum build. ALWAYS inspect OOTB Heads !!!!

-
Toolmanmike asked me to start a thread to warn folks that may not know that "ready to run out of the box" heads need to be inspected. Here is what we found, and diverted a catastrophe, on our 5.2 magnum build. And for those that don't have time for the entire video, you can start on the 9 minute mark.

HFS!!!

Heavy Fun Stuff ? :D
You know I am running EQ’s CH318B for LA intakes.
Took em all apart, changed springs, retainers and locks.
Did a super close inspection and cleaning and put them back together with positive seal valve stem seals.
Couldn’t complain at all about quality of anything.
Mine were new though.
I think you got “newly refurbished”.
Man that was a lot of garbage.

Awhile back a friend and I were putting a new disc brake kit on the back of his Dart and the passenger side leaked around the piston really bad.
Pistons on both sides were rusted in the bores.
I’ll say it again, HFS!

You know I am running EQ’s CH318B for LA intakes.
Took em all apart, changed springs, retainers and locks.
Did a super close inspection and cleaning and put them back together with positive seal valve stem seals.
Couldn’t complain at all about quality of anything.
Mine were new though.
I think you got “newly refurbished”.
Man that was a lot og garbage.

Awhile back a friend and I were putting a new disc brake kit on the back of his Dart and the passenger side leaked around the piston really bad.
Pistons on both sides were rusted in the bores.
I’ll say it again, HFS!
No sir, these were brand new. The original EQ's from NZ were the head to get (and still are). If you got those, they perform better!

No sir, these were brand new. The original EQ's from NZ were the head to get (and still are). If you got those, they perform better!
I think I got the last ones.
They went unavailable a few days after I got them.:)

The valve job is crap on those heads also, they flow LESS than a factory magnum head on my bench. They are decent castings in the right hands, but out of the box they are garbage in my opinion

The valve job is crap on those heads also, they flow LESS than a factory magnum head on my bench. They are decent castings in the right hands, but out of the box they are garbage in my opinion
we'll fix 'em

I've got to ask, have you bench flowed these EQ (I know they are cast from China) with the 3 angle valve job? Or the casting with the flat 45* valve job. Thanks for your input
I have some flow data for absolute out of the box, AND as a footnote, in reality, even a "stock" valve job is 3 angle. We did a little bit of R&D development on these Chinese versions for another shop, and they DO respond to quality machine work, we came up with some low lift valve jobs for restricted valve lift oval track stuff, as well as normal street performance stuff. The castings are not terrible after working over a bit. I allways put bronze guide liners in also, I never run the iron guides as shipped

Unbelievable, dumbfounded really. WHY go through the effort of the casting/machining/assembly etc to skip the easiest part? Cleaning?
As bad as it sounds it almost "makes sense" to see this crap with a bare set of heads, not an assembled set...jeez
Thanks again.
Oh I see Rockauto tape, is that the seller?

Unbelievable, dumbfounded really. WHY go through the effort of the casting/machining/assembly etc to skip the easiest part? Cleaning?
As bad as it sounds it almost "makes sense" to see this crap with a bare set of heads, not an assembled set...jeez
Thanks again.
Oh I see Rockauto tape, is that the seller?
Rock Auto was not the seller. The seller is in Nevada. I believe the machining is done there as well.

in reality, even a "stock" valve job is 3 angle.
Correct! ....and this is something most people don't realize. A three angle valve job is STOCK. A lot of machine shops act like they're givin you more than you're supposed to get when they do a three angle valve job. lol

Toolmanmike asked me to start a thread to warn folks that may not know that "ready to run out of the box" heads need to be inspected. Here is what we found, and diverted a catastrophe, on our 5.2 magnum build. And for those that don't have time for the entire video, you can start on the 9 minute mark.

Need to start outing these manufacturers. Embarres the **** out of them. Start doing that it will affect their pocketbook.

I wonder if there are the same QC issues with Fords and Chevy parts from these aftermarket suppliers?
Yes, just about everyone is experiencing the same. My speedmaster heads were perfect and were a true bolt on. Some had trouble with those as well. It comes down to some have a great experience and the very next guy has work to do. Assume the worst and inspect every part.

Need to start outing these manufacturers. Embarres the **** out of them. Start doing that it will affect their pocketbook.
When I rebuilt my 273 I took out the core plugs and the water jackets were full to the bottom of the holes with casting sand. It was like sludge and it took a lot to get it loosened up and flushed out. It was something the factory should have done but didn't. Same thing with these heads. It shouldn't happen but it does.

.... and the fact that this supplier states each head goes through a 25-point quality inspection ..... and about a full table spoon of casting sand comes out of EACH intake port of one head?? But here is the kicker: The other head had some casting sand as well, but not nearly the same amount but enough to cause damage - maybe a half teaspoon per intake port? One that got through ok, but two with this is garbage.

There will be more on these heads in the future. The actual casting looks good, but we are going to verify their machine work.

Just updating the response I got from EQ, and the next step for these heads

I can't believe you aren't gonna use some 302 heads...

Sorry Tim, I shouldn't have said that!

ok, we got the rest of the story on the EQ heads. Looking forward to sharing, but it will be next week. I'm going to capture from the captain, lol. It may not be what you think !

-
Back