Weak idle to nothin

-

65slant

Reaction score
Hey y'all
Just got the slant running great yesterday, go to start it today and it can barley idle (have to keep pumping the gas to keep it alive) so i guess it doesn't idle at all. new fuel pump rebuilt carb new filter was running like a sewing machine yesterday. the gas looks ok smells a little funny, don't want to go rippin into this carb. any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

what is the condition of the fuel tank?

(as a comparison when we got the one out of my '74 duster you could kick your foot through the top side of the tank because it was rotten)

How old might the oldest fuel be? And I don't mean just what you may have added recently; I mean ANY fuel that might be in the tank.

With the car cold, push the throttle pedal to the floor once and release. Then before starting, go look at the choke butterfly at the top of the throat to see if it is closed. it should be closed when the engine is cold even in MA summer weather.

Did it ever start running better this AM after runing for a few minutes?

Have a working choke ? Choke idle air gap set correctly. Primary choke pull creating that gap at start up ?
Then its also possible that it flooded after you shut it down.

Here we go again....maybe. Check for bent push rods. This about the 3rd slant 6 having this issue. Mine included. They do not like today's gas after is sits. I do not know how to put the threads on here but here is the most recent one.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=280047

Hmmm i don't think its the choke so ill look for bent push rods, sometimes i could get it to idle but when i give it gas it cuts out. choke stays closed. i was driving it yesterday when i got it to run "strong" and then it cuts out a mile or two away from my house. Try to start it and when i get it to pop of i have to keep pumping the gas to have it idle roughly and then it dies out.

If it ever runs smoothly in any mode (idel, cruise, etc.) then it is not the pushrods. Bent pushrod(s) make the car run rough 'til they are fixed.

You mentioned a funny smell to the gas. Can you please describe?

You need to pull the line to the carb and see if the fuel pumps freely when you crank the car. Your last symptoms sound like the fuel supply is being limited/blocked.
- Crud in the tank plugging the fuel inlet. An adult with normal lung pressure ought to be able to blow through the line back into the tank easily.
- Rubber hose soft and collapses to the fuel pumps; there are 2 hose before the pump: 1 at the pump inlet and another coming right out of the tank

Have a working choke ? Choke idle air gap set correctly. Primary choke pull creating that gap at start up ?
Then its also possible that it flooded after you shut it down.

I took a second look at the choke (I'm kind of a newb with carbs) and while trying to start it i played with the choke and it fired off and idled, thank you so much!

-
Back