Weatherstrip.

-

Darter6

Reaction score
I just wanted to put this out there for guys looking to redo the door weatherstrip. Now this is for the "Sedan" cars. "If"you don't care that you use the door seal that has color cloth.Color cloth kits go for well over $100 a set. The last I bought was for a 63 Valiant and the price was $130. I found these at rock auto for $26 for "both" doors,Fairchild Kit # KD 3004.The listing is for a 88 Dodge standard cab pickup. Both the doors on the pickup and my 64 Dart 2 door sedan measure out to be 13 feet of weatherstrip per door. The new weatherstrip even has sealer/glue inside for when you push it on to the pinch weld.Some photos for you,The piece in my hand was all that needed to be trimmed,about 6''.

Attachments

• IMG_1994.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_2003.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_2004.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 214
That is a terrific tip. And very timely, the ol' wagon needs them pretty bad. Just waiting for spring to actually 'spring' around here.

Read that on your build thread.Mine is a hardtop so I will have to eliminate more but thanks....you just saved me a hundred bucks I can spend somewhere else on the car.

I didn't have a hardtop to look at so I wasn't sure if it was the same stuff.
Glad to help.

Thanks a bunch. The cloth covered "windlace" doesn't last very long. I put it on my 65 Newport when you could buy it from J.C. Whitney affordably in the 1990's and already falling apart. My A's are hardtop and convertible, instead of "post", but might work for half of the door.

Darter6, I bought and installed the same item for my 63 and now the doors are extremely hard to close and lower door seam is bulged out. It gets harder to close even before the rear portion of the door is latched. Could the door alignment be holding it up? Did you have any issues with this?

You may have to adjust the doors.I didn't have to. Also I have been told that different manufactures may mak them slightly thicker and not as plyable. A body shop owner told me that he had the same issue with a set on a early B body.They were repops and he replaced them with nos. Now they were doing a 100% resto that would warrant that. These worked great for me.

Yeah, I ordered the same ones as you from rockauto. I never had this issue with the old ones, they were REALLY old, torn and flat though. They have been installed for a week now and I thought maybe they had to relax some but, they are still the same after a week. I will try the door adjustments and go from there. Thanks for the help.

After closer inspection I think I have to trim the bottom of my door panels. I made them myself and may have cut them a little too long. Looks like they may be interfering with the door seal at the bottom. Two steps forward and three back. Will update once I trim them.

Yeah, I ordered the same ones as you from rockauto. I never had this issue with the old ones, they were REALLY old, torn and flat though. They have been installed for a week now and I thought maybe they had to relax some but, they are still the same after a week. I will try the door adjustments and go from there. Thanks for the help.

I did my weatherstrip install over 6 monthe ago and just now are the doors starting to go flush. I have not opened and closed the doors much but they have been in the closed position for a while. my worst areas were the back top and bottom edge I adjusted the top striker in to help the top edge and just waited. the weather strip is a bit thicker than stock NOS stuff and a hair larger in diameter in the bulb so it does take a bit of adjusting and time to get it flush again. (plus I didn't really get my fender to door alignment correct.) I did get that setup too tight like most of us do trying to tighten up the gaps. I just finished setting the gaps to match(over 3/8 inch and under 7/16 by a hair at the cowl section) the original moredoor parts car that had never been wrecked and the doors now go flush. now I have to adjust the hood gaps$%^#%^$.

thanks, I guess I'm being a little impatient also:) I do think the panels may be an issue though. Thanks again everyone.

-
Back