Wedge

-

Asp

Reaction score
was at a friends place today, talking mopar .
and he proceeds to tell me about this wedge block he has sitting in the barn.
I though a wedge was the design of a hemi motor.
he said no they were in trucks and it is painted yellow.
got some pics of it, still no idea what it is

was at a friends place today, talking mopar .
and he proceeds to tell me about this wedge block he has sitting in the barn.
I though a wedge was the design of a hemi motor.
he said no they were in trucks and it is painted yellow.
got some pics of it, still no idea what it is

"Wedge" is a name applied to just about any common engine, Mopar, Ford, Chevy. That is all the "traditional" first generation overhead valve engines which were NOT hemi (or flathead) were a "wedge" design

The "thing" that got Mopar in that terminology was to differentiate 'reglar' engines from a hemi, especially in 64, when Ma made a 426 wedge (and no they were not all "max wedge" many were lower performance single 4bbl and also in trucks, motorhomes, boats) as well as the second gen hemi, which was also 426

Later in the "advertising craze" of the 70's Ma had a Duster? Demon? that had "340 wedge" emblazoned on the hood. It was a marketing gimmick. ALL small block Mopar engines are "wedges"

c106.jpg

Below is a 426 "street wedge" also sometimes called a "stage I" I believe. They were essentially the fore-runner of the 440

SC0513-153410_4.jpg

sadly I don't know how to post a pic.
but this will help next to the dist hole In the back of the motor there are casting #s
ecg
dif

dist hole In the back of the motorf

This sounds like either an early hemi or a small block. You have a camera? Might be able to send a photo to one of us. Look in the forum index, there's a sticky on posting photos. Essentially you need to get them down to 800 X pixels in the large dimension, and you can either upload them here or host on something like photobucket or tinypic.com. to upload, look up above your posting box, for a paper clip icon. If not, 'go below' and see if there's a "go advanced" button and then repeat.

The op sent me these photos Offhand I'd guess this is a Ford "Y" block, IE 292 / 312, I don't remember the other cid, 239? 272 One tip--off is the "tipped" distributor hole, LOL

Attachments

• 100MEDIA$IMAG0950.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 306
  • 100MEDIA$IMAG0953.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 429
  • IMAG0883.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 409
  • IMAG0883cs.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 285
  • IMAG0952cs.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 305
really a Ford...OH my making a call now .....

but then again the other pic's are the Diff I have in a junk car that was talked about a while ago, what is it..is it worth pulling out as the axel's shafts have castle nuts in the ends

but is it a ferd... or some old mopar
attachment.php

That is a wedge boat anchor.

Well they CAN be made to run................. Any body who can get an old Ford pickup up to 147 or better has my respect

http://yblockguy.com/

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4zGRCP5ylE"]Tim McMaster Bonneville 2013 Y Block powered Ford Unibody F 100 Best pass of the week 147.195 mph - YouTube[/ame]

Tim_M_1-e1378030230376.jpg

Daz right, homies.........just one 4bbl

the_heart.jpg

lmao.. ok ill go with that
and he is a big dodge fan how could he not know

hmm is he testing me?

but then again the other pic's are the Diff I have in a junk car that was talked about a while ago, what is it..is it worth pulling out as the axel's shafts have castle nuts in the ends

!!DOH!!! LMAO Now those make more sense. Castle nuts on the ends of the axles == 64 or earlier Mopar axle IF it's a Mopar axle. I'll see if I can find a casting no.

EDIT ........gets back from Google

https://www.google.com/search?num=2...9.0....0...1c.1.64.hp..19.5.758.0.q07M5Uvn9I8

I'll burn in Hell for this, but any of the big 3 are cool with me!

Though I love me a Mopar, I've had some screaming Chevys.
I've never had a Ford, but I wouldn't say no.

I'll never own an import.

make room beside you
I drive an Acura and have a Vette in the garage, the Honda sits out side

I'll never own an import.

I use to say the same thing till I got my hands on/owned a skyline gtr. That car would've scared to **** outta you. Mind you, it wasn't stock.

-
Back