weekend 4 speed swap in the Dart

-

340dartswinger

Reaction score
This time last year my Dad says lets change the auto column shift to a floor shift, well this year he says lets change it all to a 4 speed, so we did. Who knows what next year will bring. Changed the collars on the steering column. Still have to do the rest of the interior but thought I would post some pics. Man it drives like a completely different car a lot snappier.

DSCN0813.JPG

DSCN0814.JPG

DSCN0819.JPG

DSCN0821.JPG

DSCN0823.JPG

thanks for the pics, Im about to make that same swap in my 71 Dart!

What bellhouse are you using? Also what headers are you using?

Thanks, Jason

Its a Lakewood safety shield and its a very tight fit , the headers are Hedman. I have one problem the X pipe wont allow the reverse rod to be installed as it is to close to the crossmember so we are going to remove the X pipe and replace it with regular pipes going back.

Jeeze, I'd like to do a column-to-console shift swap in my Dart in one weekend...
I hate my column shifter...

Nice ! The 4 speed has a lower 1st gear then the auto so that will help it feel snappier. Do you know what gear ratios the trans has ? the over driver 833s have a low 3.09:1 first. That will boil some tires !

Nice work, I'll bet you are loving that feeling of rowing the gears.

I can't wait to get mine all lined up in the b'cuda.

Was it any trouble getting the pivot ball positioned for the Z- bar on the frame rail, or did you go with a hydraulic clutch?

The ratios are 2.66 1.91 1.39 1.00 Yeah it breaks em loose in second real easy.
The the z bar ball end hole was already in the frame rail location wasn't real hard. The lakewood bell seems to put it on an upward tilt we may try some modifications to level it out some. The bell was was probably the hardest part being such a tight fit. Looking forward to a summer of gearjammin!
Russ where you at LOL

did you reinforce the back side of the appron were the Z bar goes ? Theres a pice from the factory that gets welded to it to keep the appron from getting kinked when you step in the clutch.

Only two shifter rods (linkage)?

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I guess I won't be using X pipes with my 4speed Duster. It was originally a 3 on the tree. I put a 4speed OD in it but now I'm searching for a regular 4speed. I plan make my own 4speed hump. Just hate to cut the new floors I just put in. Got a Quicktime bellhousing from the Mopar show in Valdosta on Memorial Day weekend. It fits the OD bellhousing but comes with adapters for either 4.35 or 4.80 input bearing diameter and bracket for hydraulic clutch. Just info for someone out there who may be contemplating getting the Quicktime unit.

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I guess I won't be using X pipes with my 4speed Duster. It was originally a 3 on the tree. I put a 4speed OD in it but now I'm searching for a regular 4speed. I plan make my own 4speed hump. Just hate to cut the new floors I just put in. Got a Quicktime bellhousing from the Mopar show in Valdosta on Memorial Day weekend. It fits the OD bellhousing but comes with adapters for either 4.35 or 4.80 input bearing diameter and bracket for hydraulic clutch. Just info for someone out there who may be contemplating getting the Quicktime unit.

My 3" TTI X-pipe and 4spd are happy together ^_^

-
Back