Weird question about lighted rocker switches.

-

MileHighDart

Reaction score
So I'm looking for a couple switches to activate the overdrive solenoid, and converter lockup solenoid and the A500 trans swap I'm doing.
Its my understanding that on the 3 pic connector on the trans, you run a hot (key on) to the center pin. The solenoids get activated my grounding each of the other two wires, one for each function.
So the simplest thing is just a basic two pin rocker switch to ground each of these wires when I want to activate overdrive or lockup.

But I've been looking at some of the LED lighted rocker switches out there. Watched a bunch of youtube videos on hooking up these switches. Problem is, in every case, they assume your going to run a hot wire into the switch, and then send positive power out to whatever accessory you want to run.
To have a lighted switch I have to run power to the switch, but for the main switch function I just want a wire from the trans going in, and then out to ground.
Anyone know of a switch that would work this way?
Or maybe I have to skip the lighted switches, and wire in a separate indicator light that also gets grounded through the switch.

Signed,
Confused

Cant you just run power to the light and it will turn on when the switch goes to ground?

Use a relay
or a powered up bulb and ground it with the same rocker switch, so it simultaneously lites up when the switch is grounded.
I used separate remote LEDs for my set-up, and put them on the tach, so I always know when something is engaged. I use a green one for my line-loc when I use it as a hill-holder, and a red for my GVod. I have a second button run in parallel for the line-loc which is a momentary-on, and it too lites the green bulb. The line-loc power supply does not come from the ignition sw, so I can set the Line-loc ON, and go for supper. If someone attempts to steal the car, good luck driving it.

Bought those LEDS from Radio-Shack many years ago because they were 12 volt LEDs.

Last edited:
What I've seen of these, the switch has 3 pins. 1...Power to the switch, 2....switched power to the load.....3....ground for the light. IF the switch has a lamp and NOT an LED, you could hook the ground terminal for the light to power instead of ground and it should work. The other terminal of the lamp is connected to "switched power to the load"

THE PROBLEM is that many (all?) of these are now LED, and LEDs are POLARITY SENSITIVE so the above trick won't work, at least not without a relay or other trickery. MAYBE if you look "deep enough" into electronics suppliers, you can find them with reversed LED polarity.

What I've seen of these, the switch has 3 pins. 1...Power to the switch, 2....switched power to the load.....3....ground for the light. IF the switch has a lamp and NOT an LED, you could hook the ground terminal for the light to power instead of ground and it should work. The other terminal of the lamp is connected to "switched power to the load"

THE PROBLEM is that many (all?) of these are now LED, and LEDs are POLARITY SENSITIVE so the above trick won't work, at least not without a relay or other trickery. MAYBE if you look "deep enough" into electronics suppliers, you can find them with reversed LED polarity.

I don` profess to know as much as u guys about elerc. wiring, but , I`ve got an led light wired up to an individual switch , to show when its on , for a manual elec fan , it also lets me know when it comes onvautomatically. Another is a power doorlock with a built in led that stays on 24/7..

^^We may be misunderstanding--I'm talking about a lighted switch. I'm guessing you are talking about a separate LED? Of course you can wire them up, but he is controlling the ground end of the circuit, so the LED must be reversed to operate. That is, a separate LED would be easy. Just switch the leds

OP look around, see if there is a lighted switch which is two pole (six contacts). That might have an LED configured to one set of contacts, and you could wire one set to operate the LED and the other to operate your grounding circuit.

If it sends power to the terminals when active, just send that power to a relay that clamps device to ground when energized. It will save the switch (micro amps) and will give you your lighted active signal. They can be hidden and are very small, ie. 1inch. just match amp rating. can make a relay board or just buy a socket. A 2 pole switch or relay can turn on an indicator light also if the switch does not provide that.

Last edited:
So I could use something like this? https://rockerswitchpros.com/product/vad1-g66b/

And if I'm reading their instructions right, T5 and T6 could be my input from the tranny and out to ground?
Power to T8 12v in, with the key on for example would lite the indenpendant light whenever the car is running. 12v into T2 would make the dependant lite come on when the switch is on?

sorry for all the questions, i've really never done this kind of stuff.

I'd have to figure that switch out, but "yes." Looks like you can buy it with either LED or incandescent lamp

I'd have to figure that switch out, but "yes." Looks like you can buy it with either LED or incandescent lamp
Does this help?

VAD1-G_-_B_NWM.jpg

-
Back