Weird sputtering issue

-

Twisted71

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have been working on a weird sputtering issue in my 71 duster for a long time.
The car will start and run fine when the engine is cold/warm.
I can stand on it when I first get it out like this and it does not sputter.
After the car warms up though, it will start to sputter and get worse the longer I drive it
and the more gas I give it. I have to roll to the side of the road and wait about 10 minutes and then it acts better but still sputters as I limp home.

I know what most of you are thinking, Vapor Lock! So here are some things
I have done to it to chase this "demon". 8)
I have raised the carburetor with some spacers, ran a return fuel line to the gas tank, got rid of the electric fuel pump and went back to a mechanical fuel pump (I hated this thing anyway - noisy), made sure that the fuel lines are not near the headers, and added a manual choke. After each of these changes, the problem still exists. Could it be something simple like the gas cap seal? I think next I will resort to rebuilding the carburetor. Maybe one of the floats has a hole in it.?? It's just weird. She will start and run fine when the engine is cold, but I don't dare drive across town unless I have time to stop along the way a few times! :pale:
Thanks!

Hey all,

I have been working on a weird sputtering issue in my 71 duster for a long time.
The car will start and run fine when the engine is cold/warm.
I can stand on it when I first get it out like this and it does not sputter.
After the car warms up though, it will start to sputter and get worse the longer I drive it
and the more gas I give it. I have to roll to the side of the road and wait about 10 minutes and then it acts better but still sputters as I limp home.

I know what most of you are thinking, Vapor Lock! So here are some things
I have done to it to chase this "demon". 8)
I have raised the carburetor with some spacers, ran a return fuel line to the gas tank, got rid of the electric fuel pump and went back to a mechanical fuel pump (I hated this thing anyway - noisy), made sure that the fuel lines are not near the headers, and added a manual choke. After each of these changes, the problem still exists. Could it be something simple like the gas cap seal? I think next I will resort to rebuilding the carburetor. Maybe one of the floats has a hole in it.?? It's just weird. She will start and run fine when the engine is cold, but I don't dare drive across town unless I have time to stop along the way a few times! :pale:
Thanks!
You mentioned gas cap, I have had an issue in the past with a customers car where the fuel tank was not vented and you could actually see the fuel tank would suck itself in because of such a vaccum inside of it. Take the car out without a gas cap on and see what it does. Its a long shot but its an easy test.

I like the gas cap suggestion! I have seen this on a motorcycle once.

Don't overlook the ignition coil as a possible cause.

Thanks everyone, I'll try these things tomorrow... Speaking of the coil,
I posted this earlier on another post:

Maybe one of you knows the answer to this...

Years ago, a good friend of our family showed me how to "ground the coil"
on my 65 Barracuda to serve as a poor mans anti theft device. He helped me rig a switch hidden under the dash with a wire going through the firewall to the coil. If the switch is not "on" the car will not start. I can't remember if the wire went to the positive or the negative side on the coil. I think the other wire from the switch went to ground.

Thanks everyone, I'll try these things tomorrow... Speaking of the coil,
I posted this earlier on another post:

Maybe one of you knows the answer to this...

Years ago, a good friend of our family showed me how to "ground the coil"
on my 65 Barracuda to serve as a poor mans anti theft device. He helped me rig a switch hidden under the dash with a wire going through the firewall to the coil. If the switch is not "on" the car will not start. I can't remember if the wire went to the positive or the negative side on the coil. I think the other wire from the switch went to ground.

you would spice it to the positive side of the coil, but you would be better off with a hidden battery disconnect.

I like the gas cap suggestion! I have seen this on a motorcycle once.

Don't overlook the ignition coil as a possible cause.
Yup, first find out if it's fuel or ignition. A timing light helps here. Check each plug and the coil for a spark miss.

Hi all,

Well I took it out again today and it was fine for the first 15-20 minutes.
Then it started sputtering so I pulled over and felt the coil and it was not hot.
I also removed the gas cap and there was a good amount of pressure that escaped. I left the gas cap off but it didn't seem to help.

Same as before, I waited about 5-10 minutes and the car started and
ran fine till I got it home.
:scratch::-k

Thanks for the info on the coil grounding. Positive side sounds right.

Isn't this old car thing fun...........sometimes not. LOL

-
Back