Welding

-

CRUZE 418

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
What's the rule again for welding on a car?
Plug welds on lower radiator support.

20220504_212708.jpg

Keep your work ground as close to the work as possible and unhook your battery

Battery is out, will unplug the module. Will ground to a bumper bracket bolt, it's right next to the weld.
Thank you guys!

Last edited:
You should always put the ground close to the work. Not just in this instance. On these old cars just disconnecting the battery is really all you need to do. If you have a newer MSD that plugs in or other brand with a plug, it sure wont hurt to take the extra precaution. If its got fuel injection I would disconnect the module.
Cover your nice paint around the area before welding to keep spatter off it. They actually make a masking paper specifically for this.

get as good a fitment as possible before plug welding it. Go to town with this thing!
61205_I.jpg

Okay . All advice noted. Just put all of the associated parts on around the lower radiator support, the new support will not be located exactly where the old one was.
Seems like my shop accident favored the driver's side for some reason, will reposition with a Porta power. Radiator fits, but the opening is out of square on the driver's side, about 3/16". From the old paint lines ,
the lower radiator support wasn't in there to the tabs (frame stops) anyway. Trying to watch for bottom of radiator tank clearance. If any of you are by profession body men, probably think that worrying about 3/16" is funny. I am just trying to get it as close as I can. Actually, everything fits the way it is.
Thanks again for the tips!

20220505_210630.jpg

When I assembled mine, I put the rad support to the frame stops and welded it in. Then the rad didn't fit. Why the hell are the frame stops even there? Re-do!

Yes! Making sure I have bottom radiator tank clearance .

Practice on some scrap metal the same thickness as you are going to weld to get the heat settings right unless you already know for sure what you are doing.
And, fit up is critical for strength and ease of welding.
Also, cleanliness is a must!

My Mopar buddies son is a certified welder, I will probably have him do the welding. It's been 40 years since my last mig weld. As far as positioning of the welds, they will probably be different, but proper spacing of 3/8" plugs vs 1/4". That was advice from another body guy that loaned me a pneumatic punch. Yes, clean and proper preparation. The factory spot welds were not exactly placed as most know.

-
Back