Well, I’m committed now!

-

harrisonm

Reaction score
When I painted my car about nine years ago, there was a problem in the paint booth. I was using a new paint booth for the first time, and a panel partially popped out and allowed a bunch of dirt and crap to get on the hood. Fortunately, it only got on the hood. So about a month later, I sanded down the hood and repainted it. I used some 2K primer, but when I sprayed the paint on there was some kind of a reaction. I had a few spots where the paint actually wrinkled. I have been painting for 40 years and never had that happen. I have put up with seeing those little wrinkles for about eight years now, and I finally am doing something about it. After blocking the filler smooth, I will use some Evercoat G2 polyester primer, give it several days to cure, block
IMG_7075.jpeg

sand it, and then spray it with sealer and two-stage basecoat clearcoat.

Last edited:
As someone who has never done body work, I've got to say the scariest part to me is going to be the very time I put the sanding block to the car. Because as you said, you're committed now.

Do you have any pictures of the wrinkles?

When I painted my car about nine years ago, there was a problem in the paint booth. I was using a new paint booth for the first time, and a panel partially popped out and allowed a bunch of dirt and crap to get on the hood. Fortunately, it only got on the hood. So about a month later, I sanded down the hood and repainted it. I used some 2K primer, but when I sprayed the paint on there was some kind of a reaction. I had a few spots where the paint actually wrinkled. I have been painting for 40 years and never had that happen. I have put up with seeing those little wrinkles for about eight years now, and I finally am doing something about it. After blocking the filler smooth, I will use some Evercoat G2 polyester primer, give it several days to cure, block View attachment 1716250182sand it, and then spray it with sealer and two-stage basecoat clearcoat.

A pain in the butt, but so worth it when it’s done.
I had kinda the same thing happen, but it’s fixed now.

As someone who has never done body work, I've got to say the scariest part to me is going to be the very time I put the sanding block to the car. Because as you said, you're committed now.

Do you have any pictures of the wrinkles?
Unfortunately no. They were very minor. Most people did not see them, but I knew they were there.

A buddy told me before you paint set your gun air pressure and with gun empty simulate spraying the car to see if any dirt or debris is gonna pop up out of some where. So I took his advice and in most cases despite how careful I cleaned mask something almost always pop out and lands on the surface when going over car no paint in gun.

I'm wondering how long until I decide to re-do my paint. I did all the metal work, but was a skardy cat about attempting to spray the paint. I wanted to do all the prep and blocking, but the spray guy said "no, no, no, I'll take care of that" and knowing that prep is the most important part of paint and I was told painters want to have control of the job, I said o-k.
He painted the car, and the paint looks great (at least to me), but I don't think he knows what a long board is. I believe he only hit it with a D/A. Before he came back to buff it, he called me and said he had a family issue and had to move back to the west coast.

Every time I see a wave somewhere, it gets my frustration back up.

I'm wondering how long until I decide to re-do my paint. I did all the metal work, but was a skardy cat about attempting to spray the paint. I wanted to do all the prep and blocking, but the spray guy said "no, no, no, I'll take care of that" and knowing that prep is the most important part of paint and I was told painters want to have control of the job, I said o-k.
He painted the car, and the paint looks great (at least to me), but I don't think he knows what a long board is. I believe he only hit it with a D/A. Before he came back to buff it, he called me and said he had a family issue and had to move back to the west coast.

Every time I see a wave somewhere, it gets my frustration back up.
Amen to using a long board (sanding block). I probably spend at least 100-200 hours block sanding filler and then high build primer on each and every paint job. I block filler lightly with 120, then 220. Then I spray 3 coats of Evercoat G2 (that's all I use). Then I apply black guide coat and block sand with 220, 320 and 400 dry paper using Dura Blocks. I really like the Indasa Sticky back sandpaper. I have used the 3M Gold paper for block sanding, but in my humble opinion, the Indasa works much better. If you want to check how straight a panel is, spray water on it. A wet panel will look like one that has shiny clear coat on it. When I am satisfied, I wet sand with 320 and then 400 and maybe 600. I stop at 400 for non-metallic paint and continue on to 600 for metallics. It is a lot of work, but it is necessary.
IMG_0139.JPG
Cuda56.JPG

-
Back