Well that’s the best I can do on this set of heads.

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I really struggled on this set of heads I did for a buddy using a 2.08 valve. I rarely use that valve size because of the extra work but was kinda talked into it by my son. Half way through the job I found out I was limited to a 4.080 head gasket size to do chamber work. Man I fought that with this bigger valve size. I had them on my bench 5-6 times trying to avoid the crowded chamber and it held back the flow numbers to typical 2.055 valve numbers. I fought the smaller chamber size on a set of outlaw super stock heads to making it impossible to hit my target [email protected] but they should be a good set of heads for him. These heads were ported by a friend years ago so I had a few things that needed fixed. He’s either going to run a TrickFlow intake or hopefully a Super Victor he has. I offered him my old ported Super Victor that ran 9.74 years ago. I could update it in a day or two. I’ll probably never take on another set with a smaller chamber size and 2.08 valve as this set should have been in the 320cfm area. I have the valves and springs to finish them but they sent 5/16 retainers and keepers by mistake so these heads are on standby to finish up. Back to a 2.055 valve on the next set that the first head my be on the bench tonight or tomorrow.

IMG_1605.jpeg

And here I always thought a bigger valve would be a good thing! :lol:

And here I always thought a bigger valve would be a good thing! :lol:

A lot of things go into running that bigger valve. I gotta learn to ask more questions before I start a job. I about guarantee you this set of 2.055 valve heads will do better but even on these I’m limited to a 4.120 gasket size. So we shall see

Would that valve size work well on a 40 over 340? Just curious.

Idk, but hear you don't want to go bigger than 52.5 percent, but you talking stock valve guide location? seems like some of the crazier heads out there they will shrink the exhaust valve to about 1.5 and move it towards the wall so they can install a huge intake valve also moved towards the exhaust.

The valve size would fit but doesn’t fit the application?

A larger valve is usually good but where does it end? Is it good for the build?

I’m running a 2.08 on my 4.030 bore so yes it would. I test on a 4.015 bore so I’m positive anything I port will work on a 4.030 bore. It’s the chamber that’s the biggest issue and the street, street strip guys are easy because most of those guys run a 1008 Felpro head gasket which has a 4.180 bore size. That gives me room to play with the chamber more.

Idk, but hear you don't want to go bigger than 52.5 percent, but you talking stock valve guide location?
Is that 52-1/2% of the bore size? That would be a 2.14 intake, which I guarantee would take “A LOT” of finagling to get to fit the chambers. I’ve been told 2.08 will usually clear without doing anything drastic with guide location in most heads.

Is that 52-1/2% of the bore size? That would be a 2.14 intake, which I guarantee would take “A LOT” of finagling to get to fit the chambers. I’ve been told 2.08 will usually clear without doing anything drastic with guide location in most heads.
I'm sure that an max effort valve size, and yes things would need to be moved around.

Yes, W2s come with 2.08. I don’t think @pittsburghracer had to relocate anything in the present heads to get 2.08s in them. Bob Glidden went to the extreme and re-engineered his W2 heads to fit 2.19 intakes, as well as many more modifications.

I think if I remember right the valve guide spacing is 1.87" so a 1.60/2 = .8 leaving 1.07" for intake valve and space say .030" for minimum space leaves 1.04" x 2 = 2.08" valve. (2.14 " with zero space)

Nothing has to be moved for a 2.08 valve. The set on my car now were done around 2008 and have been on 3-4 different combos and are stock pushrod location.

Something I thought of that I should add is this is the first set of small block Edelbrock heads I’ve done with Manley Valves. Customer has a hook up on these and had them drop shipped to my shop. I didn’t test them to compare them them to the Liberty Pros or Ferreas I usually use. They did come with a beautiful 30 degree backcut so they saved me some time.

PBR, I wish we lived closer. I'd really like to watch you work and pick your brain. I've learned a ton about heads and intakes from watching and reading your posts.

PBR, I wish we lived closer. I'd really like to watch you work and pick your brain. I've learned a ton about heads and intakes from watching and reading your posts.
He's an artist for sure.

"Just an oldman making chips. Lol" But the end results are beneficial to you or someone else.

I should have a 2.055 head on the bench today with the 4.120 gasket chamber size and I’m betting I have flow numbers that are the same and a much smoother flowing head. Updates posted later.

-
Back