Well- the cows came home

-

mopar head

Reaction score
Time for a new clutch kit. To all you 4spd guys, what is the ticket these days, without breaking the bank? The current kit came from napa, 3 arm borg-beck style. Brutal pedal effort, but would defenitly grab. The downside is in short order it put 3 hot spots on the flywheel. Is this a fluke or could this be caused by a little oil contamination? I neglected to purchess/if available?, the sheetmetal shield cover, Anybody reproducing these? If hot spots are the norm, with 3 arms, I dont want to go through this frequently. So if you been running centerforce dual friction, or mcleod, ram, or any other manufacture, what are you opinions or suggestions on a clutch kit? Also is there a limit on how many times you can grind/surface, a flywheel? thanks in advance:read2:

Every borg-beck style clutch I have ever used has failed early in one way or another.

I may go with a Centerforce. I was told a Centerforce does not like to shift at 8,000 (Where I shift at the track) but I don't know if its true.

I'm going with a Centerforce this time around, as it seems to be what the majority of people like. I had no luck with the Hays, the OEM worked better than it.

As far as the shield, I got mine from Brewers, they are a bit spendy,for what they are (I think I payed around $30.) but you do need to keep that area dry and somewhat clean.

I'm also curious about the flywheel specs, as I had mine re-surfaced already, and I would like to get it re-done before I throw in the new clutch, or will I need a new flywheel...?

Well 5 years of ocasional abuse and oil contamination, results, jeez#-o clutch 001.jpg Parked it just in time, and It did`nt scar the flywheel, imagine that lol

clutch 001.jpg

I'm using the diaphragm type McLeod clutch and pressure plate 10.95 (11"). I got it from Brewers. I love it compared to the Borg and beck. My leg doesn't get tired anymore and that thing will grab so hard that it throws the glove box door open and scratches third! I had to remove the over center spring because Brewers told me too. I know Centerforce is good stuff but I have never ran it so I can't say anything about them. But I do know that the McLeod kit works wonderful in my car.

I'm using the diaphragm type McLeod clutch and pressure plate 10.95 (11"). I got it from Brewers. I love it compared to the Borg and beck. My leg doesn't get tired anymore and that thing will grab so hard that it throws the glove box door open and scratches third! I had to remove the over center spring because Brewers told me too. I know Centerforce is good stuff but I have never ran it so I can't say anything about them. But I do know that the McLeod kit works wonderful in my car.
hey Mulli, Yeah, I heard good things about Mcleod, also, but I got the Centerforce dual friction, It also says you may have to remove over center spring. And is also diaphram type. It also has a centrifugal ring. I cant wait to get it in. Have to wait till monday to find a shop to grind flywheel. It will be a blessing to be rid of the knee blowing 3 arm.

hey Mulli, Yeah, I heard good things about Mcleod, also, but I got the Centerforce dual friction, It also says you may have to remove over center spring. And is also diaphram type. It also has a centrifugal ring. I cant wait to get it in. Have to wait till monday to find a shop to grind flywheel. It will be a blessing to be rid of the knee blowing 3 arm.

Ok I just realized you posted this on the 2nd lol!

I'm sure you will have great success with it... I have seen some horror stories with the Hays stuff. After having a diaphragm type pressure plate I will never have a 3 arm type again. I could always throw it in neutral at stop but when I was in traffic that is slowing creeping my leg would start quivering cause it was just wore out. lol!

What is it that you don't like about it?
The centrifugal rings are grabbing the TO bearing, when depressing the clutch, making a groaning noise, and actually taking small pieces of metal off TO bearing perimeter. Used their bearing too. otherwise it hooks good, but for that kind of $$, their should be 0 issues.

The centrifugal rings are grabbing the TO bearing, when depressing the clutch, making a groaning noise, and actually taking small pieces of metal off TO bearing perimeter. Used their bearing too. otherwise it hooks good, but for that kind of $$, their should be 0 issues.

Good grief!

I hope they can give you some advise. Have you talked to Brewers about the situation? They seemed awfully helpful to me when I bought my parts. I was going to go with Centerforce but he talked me out of it.... for some reason. I didn't know anything about Mcleod or Centerforce for that matter. I had to remove the over center spring with the kit I bought. Did Centerforce recommend that?

-
Back