Went through receipts today

-
If my buzz isnt offended, then I"m not not offended...This is the first cat I've really wanted to look and drive nice. But you guys are right. Nothing better to spend some hard earned money. I know I'll spend much, much, more when I'm done.

I'm also running a list of moneys spent. I'm trying to do it all on the cheap. Things like the engine are stock, not rebuilt. Thats a big savings right there. Same for the tranny. ETC.......

The thing is, I have allways told people that if you get into the old car deal, you'll probably spend the same amount of money on the old iron as you would a new car if not more BUT you'll end up with a car you want and built yourself to your specs and performance level if hot rodded while your new car is not. Just a cookie cut car that comes in several styles of vanilla.

I'm already at $11k with about $2k more to go before I'm done. It would be another $5k ontop of that if my interior needed any work, but thankfully it doesn't. Seat covers and being garaged or carported since new saved the interior.

Do I have any second thoughts? None. My grandmother bought it new, it was the car I learned to drive on and she's now passed away and I can't put a price on those memories.... and the fact that it will be in my family as long as I'm alive (based on life expentancies these days, I plan on living for at least another 50 years).

cuda28.jpg

Paid 2-k for the car and put an additional 12-k into what you see here.
No motor yet, but soon, yeah, I say that.

Everything on the car is rebuilt or replaced suspension wise.
Chassis mods and roll cage, fuel cell, disk brakes all around, sure grip rear, 4 spd trans, upholstery.

Paint and body cost $8-k.

Don't ask me why the cheapest stuff is taking so much longer than the expensive stuff.

At least I'm not the only one who's wife could kill them for doing this.

If you do it right and do as much of your own work as is reasonably possible, you'll have a car you love, built the way you want it for a fair price, say $20,000 and should appreciate unlike the modern iron you buy that goes down in value faster then you can pay it off. What can you buy for 20 grand that would turn you on? other than an already built Mopar, that would be exceptable :thumbup:

Adding up receipts on car projects is like looking at bar tabs when you wake up with Miss America.

pushrod said:
Adding up receipts on car projects is like looking at bar tabs when you wake up with Miss America.

That is the funniest thing I've read all month..... too bad I had to wait 29 days.

SO TRUE!!!!

bought my dart for $3,500 in '04, put about $500 right in, probably put another $6,000 in this winter, with possibly $2,000 more to go.

All on a car i bought to be a cruiser while i worked on my Barracuda which i have put a rough budget at $30,000 +

I've got $6500 into the car so far, I still need Paint ($2000), a whiole new interior ($1500), and I am just getting ready to start my 383 stroker project ($5000). If I get it done for $15k, I will consider myself lucky.

FASTBACK340 said:
And it's aways meant to entertain, NOT offend. It's hard to tell a persons tone and intentions via the printed word. Pretty much the way I can't really tell how you interpeted what I posted. Hopefully, everyone "got it" and no one was upset.

That's the problem with getting comfortable with a situation. Sometimes there's people involved whom don't post often and you forget they might not be entertained. Sorry if I was "too over the top..."

No offense taken, I really love that you always have a unique and interesting way to say things, like your post several months back about trying to buy brake parts. Most of us would have just vented about crappy service from parts companies, but you entertain us while you vent.

If I was even vaguely offended by "guy talk", I wouldn't be on this forum. I love the dirty jokes, the off-color comments, and even the non-car-related pictures some of you all post. (I just wish I looked more like them.)

You keep writing, I'll keep reading, and occasionally I'll may some smart-*** comments, but I'll try not to sound offended when I do. As you said, it's hard to interpret what's written, so maybe I should have worded it differently.

By the way, you have a long way to go before you're "too over the top" in my world. Some of my friends have set the bar much higher than this...

*sigh*

I have most of the receipts from my Duster - had it almost 15 years - but I won't add them up - I'm scared to see what it would be ;)

I do keep all the receipts for all my cars. People seem to apprecaite it when it comes time to sell them - they can see that they were dilgently maintained.

The worst was my 1995 Dodge Neon DOHC ACR coupe. I think I had receipts for that or almost $4k. I had it for 6 years I think, but I used to rally it and it went through some 'wear' items rather quickly......

-
Back