were to get a head liner for 74 Duster.

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Were to get a good head liner,from all the talk the plastic is crap.What have you Duster guys done about this? if anyone bought a new 1 are you happy.My liner is toast.

Snake, The cardboard headliners are a PITA for most of us that have them. If yours is salvageable at all, I've seen them painted by a few members & they turned out nice....

I installed the new style a few months ago, I bought mine uncovered and pre-fit it before having it covered. I had to trim it around the edges to get it to tuck under the window seals.

I installed one of the ABS ones. I did a little trimming on install like Ross did, it fit fine after that. I did buy one with the tier backed vinyl, which separated as soon as the temperature hit about 90*. I pulled it back out and re-glued the vinyl with 3M adhesive, no problems since.

If I had to do it again I would just buy the ABS liner plain like Ross did and install my own material, since that's basically what I had to do anyway.

Snake, The cardboard headliners are a PITA for most of us that have them. If yours is salvageable at all, I've seen them painted by a few members & they turned out nice....

Yes it some what salvageable but new would of been nice,and yes i could paint looks like that could be my only choice,untill someone steps up to the plate AND HELP US OUT,I mean they can reproduce alot but what some parts not.

I installed the new style a few months ago, I bought mine uncovered and pre-fit it before having it covered. I had to trim it around the edges to get it to tuck under the window seals.

Any chance you could up load a pic to have a look thanks.

I installed one of the ABS ones. I did a little trimming on install like Ross did, it fit fine after that. I did buy one with the tier backed vinyl, which separated as soon as the temperature hit about 90*. I pulled it back out and re-glued the vinyl with 3M adhesive, no problems since.

If I had to do it again I would just buy the ABS liner plain like Ross did and install my own material, since that's basically what I had to do anyway.

U have me thinken

I went to the fabric store and bought some headliner fabric, guess thats what you would call it and used 3m glue and glued it to my old liner. In the areas where my old liner was broken I had to glue it back together and put a filler on the back side to help hold it together and glued it there. It turned out pretty good, And I now have a fabric liner.

The wife & I did the same thing. We went down to the fabric store (JoAnn's) & picked up some headliner fabric. They had 3 colors. Black & 2 greys. 3M spray glue. Scraped the Dakotas plastic headliner board clean and set it down. Easy to trim.

A good backing is the first key.
4 hands or better is the next.
3M is a strong as heck glue!

Any chance you could up load a pic to have a look thanks.

I did take some pictures but when I looked at them on the computer all I saw was a sea of Black with no real detail visible so I deleted them....sorry

Sorry it took so long to get back to this thread, the shipping was right on time (about 2 1/2 weeks from order date as they make it to order). I got the head liner in the other day, I will post pictures when I get some time. I will also post pictures of the install when I start that.

Sorry it took so long to get back to this thread, the shipping was right on time (about 2 1/2 weeks from order date as they make it to order). I got the head liner in the other day, I will post pictures when I get some time. I will also post pictures of the install when I start that.

Great.:D:D:D:D:happy1:

How delicate are these fiber board headliners in the '74s? Mine is in perfect like new condition (low mileage survivor), but I would like to drop it to put some Dynamat on the roof. Will I ruin my headliner if I try to remove it?

How delicate are these fiber board headliners in the '74s? Mine is in perfect like new condition (low mileage survivor), but I would like to drop it to put some Dynamat on the roof. Will I ruin my headliner if I try to remove it?

If it is in good condition and there are no issues with it I would leave it alone. There can be insulation and other stuff above it that will make a huge mess of your interior. I would not pull it unless you pull the interior.

They are fairly solid, it depends on the conditions your car were kept in I think. Mine had mice living in it at one point so it has holes in it and was pretty dirty. There was just no saving it. If it wasn't for that I probably could have saved it. Just be careful because it may be fragile, it all depends.

Don't be surprised if there is some surface rust under the headliner, you may want to get some Chasis saver (or something similar) to cover the rust.

before

attachment.php

after

attachment.php

-
Back