What a Family Show Was Like 65 Years Ago

-
And yet back then, they were screaming that TV would rot children’s brains and bring the downfall of moral humanity. They were calling it the “Boob Tube” and saying it would turn people into idiots.

Funny that.

And yet back then.. They were calling it the “Boob Tube” and saying it would turn people into idiots.

Funny that.

Yeah, idiots...boob tube....er, what was the question?
jl13.jpg

Remember turning off the old TV and then watching the white dot until it disappeared?

View attachment 1715479565

Hey Maw, Can I watch the new TV?
Sho-nuff
Hey Maw, What's the other dial for?
Paw calls it UHF. Sez it's fer city folks that's been in school.
Hey Maw, What's school?

Hey Maw, Can I watch the new TV?
Sho-nuff
Hey Maw, What's the other dial for?
Paw calls it UHF. Sez it's fer city folks that's been in school.
Hey Maw, What's school?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Damn, I wish I had been born in Ct. so I could talk "normal" and be smart like all those folk!! lol

We had a black and white, big upright, as a kid in western N.Y. state. 3 channels. One Saturday morning about 1969, I'm watching cartoons and my dad comes up the stairs with two delivery men and deposits a brand new color T.V.! BAMM, my life changed as my favorite cartoons were now in color!!! However some of my fondest early memories were watching old westerns in black and white on Dads lap when I was 5 or 6.

Gunsmoke was one of Dad's favorite shows. When it started airing in color, in 1966. Dad came home with a color TV. By then, I think we had 4 VHF stations. 2-4-5-11.

I remember riggin the rear antenna connections to UHF and watching channel 52 locally for the cartoons: Kimba, Speed Racer, Gigantor.....seems all the Japanese dubbed cartoons were on that and they had plots, so different than Looney Tunes (my favorite still) L.A. area had lots of channels

Looney tunes is still on And Tom and Jerry on the cartoon network ....Flintstone on Me TV

Thanks for the memories. :thumbsup::thankyou:

We had so much less then ... Why does life seem to suck more now?
:wtf: I have 'thousands' of cable channels, my cable bill is more than my electric bill....
And there 'ain't **** on'. I want "Gigantor" dam it.

Eddie Haskell.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for the memories. :thumbsup::thankyou:

We had so much less then ... Why does life seem to suck more now?
:wtf: I have 'thousands' of cable channels, my cable bill is more than my electric bill....
And there 'ain't **** on'. I want "Gigantor" dam it.

View attachment 1715480965

got rid of my satellite a few years ago, and haven’t missed it. (And my son is a Dish tech )

I watched a kids' cartoon the other day on one of the Dish kids channels. Can't remember the name, but it was about a group of multi-ethnic children that went to a field to play and look at the flowers, trying not to offend anyone or anything.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Damn, I wish I had been born in Ct. so I could talk "normal" and be smart like all those folk!! lol

Wasn't trying to be critical of others, just doing a spoof of the Beverly Hillbillies TV show. Old Jeb was pretty savvy. Jethro, not so much. Ellie May, now that was one fine looking lady!

Our first TV didn't have UHF channels. Broke down a lot. Took a ride into town to go to the drug store to check the tubes out. Plug them into the correct socket, move some dials, and push the test button. An analog meter would show bad, weak or good. And the stock of new tubes was locked up in the bottom of the cabinet.

A little history fer ya young-uns.

Wasn't trying to be critical of others, just doing a spoof of the Beverly Hillbillies TV show. Old Jeb was pretty savvy. Jethro, not so much. Ellie May, now that was one fine looking lady!

Our first TV didn't have UHF channels. Broke down a lot. Took a ride into town to go to the drug store to check the tubes out. Plug them into the correct socket, move some dials, and push the test button. An analog meter would show bad, weak or good. And the stock of new tubes was locked up in the bottom of the cabinet.

A little history fer ya young-uns.
That brings back memories...
Dad was into electronics. Had hundreds of tubes and meters to check them in the basement.

I was a TV/stereo repairman. Had my own shop for awhile in the 80s. I carried a tube caddy for house calls lol. Tubes are problematic by design, although I love the nostalgia of them and they still have limited use. A major problem for the first color TVs was that the color circuit used tubes. Color requires what is called a 3.58 MHz burst signal. The burst is rounded and has many decimals because it needs to be spot on. If the frequency varies as much as 1/4 hertz, a tint change can be noticed. Tubes can't handle tight circuits like that. I recall my old man saying 'color is out again' along with expletives.

We had three stations in Buffalo area, when we got a forth it was a big deal. I remember seeing Bonanza on an early colored TV at a cousins, don't think it was adjusted correctly because the blue jumped out at you. My dad never wanted one and until he died in '82 never bothered to get one. I remember in Back to the Future when he say no one has two TV's, talking about 1955, we have five in the house and there is just me and the wife.

79887455_3280989211915786_3871531345075240960_o.jpg

yea my wife and have 6 tvs, but one is an old Zenith System 3 I keep in the garage for sentimental reasons. It still works tho.

sold my Bk700 and a lot of other test equipment last year for $50
bk700.jpg

-
Back