What a suprise!

-

thejohnnyguy

Young Gun
Reaction score
So I drove about 45 minutes away on monday to pick up an edelbrock performer intake for my 318. This intake I purchased from Dartman(Johnny) and it was a great transaction. I went to start the swap and I noticed the intake that was on my 318 looked a little off. Until now I just went with what I was told, that it was just a built 318(no specifics)...
I went and ran the numbers on the intake and it turns out it's a 340 intake. Great! 340 intakes are good but I know that the port size is much bigger than the port size of the 318 heads. Well I now needed to know what the heads were so I would know which intake would be best... So I take off a valve cover and after a little bit of looking around I come across a large "X". With that said my night turned out to be pretty good... :cheers: *score!*

Well, I would hope that the performance of the engine would tell you, but are you sure it's a 318?
I have yet to really drive it, plus it's my first muscle car. No i'm not sure it's a 318 either, I will see if I can find some numbers on the underside of the block tonight.

I have yet to really drive it, plus it's my first muscle car. No i'm not sure it's a 318 either, I will see if I can find some numbers on the underside of the block tonight.

You should not have to dive under the car. There should be a number string stamped into the front of the block on the driver side directly under the head / block parting line. I don't 'member, I think it's no. 234 or 345, but the first few numbers should have 318/ 340/ 360 in the number string.

Look on the left side of the block above the starter this will tell you for sure. If it is a 318 with those X heads comp. will be pretty low unless they have been milled in which case you will have to mill your new intake to match

Look on the left side of the block above the starter this will tell you for sure. If it is a 318 with those X heads comp. will be pretty low unless they have been milled in which case you will have to mill your new intake to match

It's a 318 block, I have a funny feeling that the engine may be stroked and have a good bit of machine work done to it. It bugs me that the only way to know for sure is to tear it apart... She runs nice, sounds great, and definitely not at a loss for power.

It's a 318 block, I have a funny feeling that the engine may be stroked and have a good bit of machine work done to it. It bugs me that the only way to know for sure is to tear it apart... She runs nice, sounds great, and definitely not at a loss for power.

I am in the same boat as you....

My 318 is a 318, but has J heads, double roller chain, milodon deep sump pan, eddy performer manifold and carb and a purple cam (I can see the purple paint on it) but NO IDEA what else, if anything was done.

Compression is not all that high from what I can tell, but she doesnt lack for power.

I added Dougs headers, a 2400 stall converter in the 727 and recently added 3.55s in the 8 3/4 rear....

I have talked to some older Mopar guys around here and back in the day they used to make 318s perform as good as or better than the 340s from the factory, so they say.

I dont care what anyone says about 318s....mine goes! :glasses8:

I am in the same boat as you....

I dont care what anyone says about 318s....mine goes! :glasses8:

I guess it only bothers me a little bit not knowing whats in there... But it's cool to tell people you have a 318 and see there unimpressed faces, then you fire it up... :tongue9:

I guess it only bothers me a little bit not knowing whats in there... But it's cool to tell people you have a 318 and see there unimpressed faces, then you fire it up... :tongue9:

Same here!!!! One guy came up to me at a local cruise and was all giddy....."what engine man!?" "318" I says. "Oh." and he walks away.

Couple hours later I rumble past him on the way out and you woulda thought I just told him the world was a cube. "Wow! Sounds great man!"

I just smiled and waved...sittin' there in that 318 powered Mopar. :mrgreen:

My engine was a pig-in-a-poke......looked nice from the outside but it came in the car and wasnt running (no trans, no starter, no wiring, no rad, etc LOL......) Worked out ok for me so far.

My last teen car was a 72 Duster. Looked like grandmas car. I took it to the track in street tires and hub caps and ran 8.70 1/8s with it. Beat a guys 80s anniversary edition Corvette. He parked it the rest of the night.

That is a nice surprise to find, congrats!

Back in the mid 80s, I took a /6 and 3 speed out of a 70 PCP Barracuda, and had purchased the whole drive train out of a 70 Challenger from a salvage yard. I put X heads, HP manifolds and an LD340 on the 318. It ran great!

I thought the $70 I had to pay for the manifolds was crazy, and the $90 for the 70 340 air cleaner was rediculous.

-
Back