What about putting Armor-All on a dyed vinyl dash pad?

-

cruiser

Reaction score
Hi Guys: I just vinyl dyed the dash pad in my Duster. It looks great and I used a high quality spray dye that I got from Herb's Auto Parts. Normally, I put a silicone preservative on my dash pads, but I'm concerned that if I do this to a dyed dash pad, it may eat away the vinyl dye. Whaddya think? If I spray silicone preservative on my dyed pad, all I'm really doing is to spray it on the dye, not on the vinyl pad itself. Does the spray somehow penetrate thru the dye and get to the vinyl underneath? And if so, how can this happen without lifting the dye away from the pad itself?

I might wait a couple of months, then try a small test area. I doubt it would get down to the vinyl. Did the spray dye say anything? Maybe you could contact the manufacturer.

I have never ever put any kind of chemical on a dash pad. And, I have never ever had a dash pad crack or get wavy or do anything else undesirable. The most I have ever done, and not that often, was lay a couple of white bath towels over the dash if it was going to be in direct sunlight all day long on a very hot day.

I wouldnt put armorall on it. Armorall is silicone based. Theres 2 things in bodyshops that i have fought before when painting interior parts. Armorall and wd40 can cause fish eyes like no other. If your gonna put something on it i suggest you find something waterbased

I'd leave it alone and put a towel over it when out in the sun. Whatever cleaning and coating you try to do won't have any effect on the vinyl underneath the paint.

-
Back