what about this 318

-

superbee79

Reaction score
60' 2.03
1/8 8.56 @82.82 mph
1/4 13.34 @101.74

came off the line about 1800 rpms. shifted between 5500 and 6000. it really needs a converter. if it would get off of the line better it would be a 12 second 318 in a heavy little car.
car also needs to lose some weight. i am proud of our little dart. i know people with big blocks that don't run that well. we really had fun

that 60 foot doesn't usually translate to a low 13 second pass...u must have some top end power hidden away. what gears are in it?

it's got a 3.55 gear and 26" tall tires don't really know a whole lot about whats inside we got it from a friend that bought it built. don't know about cam or pistons. edelbrock heads adjustable rockers so cam is a mechanical not real big because you can't really hear it. rpm air gap intake holley 600 vac sec don't really know about converter. 3rd gear you are right it feels like a totally different car.

does it run on pump gas? can you degree the cam and calculate the valve lift? at 6000 did it feel like it was running out of breath? Those are good times for any streetable small block

yes we ran it on 92 octane all weekend at the mo-power events at national trail raceway. Don't you have to have a timing gear with more than one keyway to degree your cam. never had motor apart. won't till end of season. doesn't really run out of steam till about 6500 to 6800.

when said check the degree I meant measure out what the duration and lift is so you know what you have. Can be done with a dial indicator if you can't find a part number on the cam. Changing the centerline, yes you can change that by a different sprocket with multiple key slots or offset cam keys.

727, never degree'd a cam before but there is a first time for everything. i think i am gonna like being at the bottom of the bracket. let them catch me, consistent wins races fast makes you hold on to the sissy bar while you are doing it.

If it runs to 6800 it's got more cam than you think it does. Sounds like a good combo.

tach told on me it was actually up about 7000 going from second to third doing my burnout. the shifter has a 3rd gear lockout that if you are not squeezing the trigger it won't go in 3rd gear. it's a pretty healthy little motor. lot's of fun

It's got more in it with that mph. Keep playing... It looks like it was built fairly well.

what do you think about the turbo action 3800-4200 stall converter? i have taken as much weight out of the car as i can without cutting it up. i figure it weighs about 3000 lbs and is making close to 350 or 400 hp if i can get it off of the line we should have some fun.

I would suggest two things... First, if you have the scratch, a 904 built properly would cost about $1500 to get in there and then you need the good convertor. It will have a lower first, and be lighter and less parasitic.
If not, the TA makes a good convertor, but I would lean more towards a PTC or one from Ultimate. The convertor MAKES the combo...

i already ordered the converter from jegs. if i had the cash to throw around i would have got one custom built for the car you are right however the converter is the MOST important part of the combo.

You mentioned weight, aka heavy car, as well as fiberglass. Start with the F-glass up front. Bumper, then hood, fenders if you wish. IDK how far you wanna go with a street driven car. You could also move the battery to the trunk.

not a street driven car. just got done moving battery to the trunk and installing a master shut-off. i said it was heavy because i had a hard time pushing it in the staging lanes. when i was growing up my moms super bee weighed 2850lbs and i pushed it by myself with her in it. not a real acurate comparison because that car was cut up. and it is hard to push and steer at the same time. i would love to put fiberglass bumpers on but they are gonna cost me

-
Back