What about zinc?

-
stp has very little zinc

There's enough zinc in it that it won't wipe a cam! AMHIK So what's your point, between your shoulders? If Andy Granatelli [sp?] used it in his racecars for all those years without problems, then it's good enough for a street car, PROVE ME WRONG!!!!!

All you people that spend your hard earned money foolishly on all these aftermarket products. Please explain to me WHY I've NEVER had any problems with any car by just using the cheapest oil I can find along with a can of STP?
Because STP has ZDDP in it.

In 1978 STP Corporation and its then-parent company, First Brand Corporation, settled a legal action from the FTC over misrepresenting the role and benefits of motor oil additives in reducing wear inside engines. STP paid an $888,000 judgment, the third largest sum ever obtained by the FTC for a consumer protection violation

But wait Andy used it.........lmao

stp has very little zinc
Not like it used to have, PLUS if you cheap out and buy the store brand that's in a VERY similar bottle, that has no ZDDP at ALL!

I think the zinc was/is primarily for engines with flat tappet cams (which your car has) but I don't think it needs a lot. In my flat tappet engines I generally use a product designed (or at least that is what they say) for older vehicles which I believe has some zinc in it.
those solid lifters are so work hardened by now thay zinc is probably not mandatory for you. break in yes but after its up and running with stock limp noodle springs its probably ok. check out Rotella diesel oil. iirc it still has zinc in it.

I don't know why these type threads always result in insults and name calling. Yall just run whatever you want and what works for you. I think if anybody asks for opinions on anything anymore, I'm gonna plea the 5th. I'm keepin to myself and workin on my own stuff. Piss on everybody else. Yalls **** can explode for all I care. lol

Last edited:
Because they're never called out about it when it starts. I gave an opinion early in this thread and one person who has consistently had an attitude towards everyone continues his rude responses and comments.

Because they're never called out about it when it starts. I gave an opinion early in this thread and one person who has consistently had an attitude towards everyone continues his rude responses and comments.
Yeah well. I say to each their own. If you wanna run the cheapest oil, go for it. If you wanna spend the bucks for Torco, have at it. "I" won't talk down to anyone for what they choose to run. It's all really personal preference anyway. I just know what's worked well for me and will continue to do it.

....ya but
fbfaec47-7abd-4ed6-8a59-7fbf1777c4eb_text.gif

STP do they still sell this stuff? I used to coat my cams with this in the 60-70's. My advice run good oil and if you can't afford it drive it about another 500 miles to get your moneys worth. But after you put the good stuff in there. The last paper I read the Rotella Diesel did not pass the flat tappet tests but the Ford diesel oil did. Been using that in everything for years now but not in the newer vehicles, synthetic only. And I use synthetic in my race cars. 15w50 Mobil 1 but if I need to go faster 0w but only if your clearances are set for it.

In all seriousness, I have a startup of an engine that came with the car that looks to be clean and admittedly I am committing a cardinal sin by not taking it apart for inspection, but I am a gambling man. BUT I am going to do a startup as if it is new and do all the things like high zinc oil and run at 2000 rpm's for 20 min as its been sitting for 7+ years......wish me luck and I appreciate all the info on this thread.

In all seriousness, I have a startup of an engine that came with the car that looks to be clean and admittedly I am committing a cardinal sin by not taking it apart for inspection, but I am a gambling man. BUT I am going to do a startup as if it is new and do all the things like high zinc oil and run at 2000 rpm's for 20 min as its been sitting for 7+ years......wish me luck and I appreciate all the info on this thread.
If you haven't started it yet prime the oil pump.

I don't know why these type threads always result in insults and name calling. Yall just run whatever you want and what works for you. I think if anybody asks for opinions on anything anymore, I'm gonna plea the 5th. I'm keepin to myself and workin on my own stuff. Piss on everybody else. Yalls **** can explode for all I care. lol
I've always liked your opinion and point of view. I may not take all of the advice, and I may disagree at times, but please don't stop conrtibuting. I for one appreciate your input, as do others.

Sometimes you just have to shake your head and scroll on by. :lol:

All you people that spend your hard earned money foolishly on all these aftermarket products. Please explain to me WHY I've NEVER had any problems with any car by just using the cheapest oil I can find along with a can of STP?
Please explain to Me why the only 2 engines I put STP in both spun rod bearings....

Please explain to Me why the only 2 engines I put STP in both spun rod bearings....

It’s Garbage... as for the bearings, it’s hard to say why they spun without looking at them and the cap / block / crank.

if you want a good friction reducer, use Justice Brothers Heavy Duty Vehicle.

Penn Grade oil for classics or Red Line for synthetic.

I don’t get why it how guys can put thousands into a motor, or 10’s of thousands into a new car and go super cheap with the oil. Know what makes them last? Changing the damn oil and doing the services. Sometimes being a cheap bastard, will cost you more in the long run....

There's enough zinc in it that it won't wipe a cam! AMHIK So what's your point, between your shoulders? If Andy Granatelli [sp?] used it in his racecars for all those years without problems, then it's good enough for a street car, PROVE ME WRONG!!!!!
STP = Scientifically Treated Petroleum…….. The Racers Edge!

Last edited:
Many classic car owners use "diesel oil", i.e. CJ rated, mainly because many brands have more zinc. My 1985 M-B diesel has sliding "followers" running between the overhead camshaft lobes and valve stems (no rollers) and a solid system (not hydraulic). My 1996 Plymouth 2.4L is similar, except the followers are hydraulic. Thus, many later engines seem to have the same system of parts sliding on the cam lobes. I think the main difference in diesel oil is that it has more detergents to better suspend the carbon, as they have more blow-by past the piston rings due to the 20:1 compression. You find the diesel oil is a special section at the auto parts, usually in 1 gal jugs. Rotella is one brand. I think STP is now Autozone's "store brand" (used to be "Coastal"), so not sure it is the same as in the past.

-
Back