What Am I Doing Wrong????

-

cpthowdy1369

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just switched out the 7 1/4 rear for an 8 3/4 in my 73 dart swinger. I put in Yukon axles with green bearings and have 235/60-R14 tires on it. I put in brand new stock rear spring shackles.

My problem is now the passenger rear tire rubs against the wheel well and the driver side is fine. It's like the whole rear end is shifted to far to the passenger side of the car. I tried unbolting the rearend and pushing it over but nothing happened.

What am I doing wrong? Do you guys have any idea what the problem is?

The 8 3/4 rear was off of another a body.

Could just be the car. I have a new car that has one rear tire about 1/4" closer to the inner fender than the other, so I'm sure it's not uncommon on older cars. If it's more than 1/4", maybe you do have a problem.

Check the distance from leaf spring to backing plate and measure the two rear wheels and their offset and if you have the axle in the full diastance,and make sure of correct tire pressure,and look to see if the wheel well has been changed or modified,mrmopartech

I just did a front disc brake swap from the 9" drums and I did go bigger on the tires and rims but the passengers side tire is about 1/2" TO 1/4 closer to the front fender lip than the drivers side .

all a bodies I've seen have less clearance on one side.

weird, but thats what I know.

and on top of that 7 1/4 are wider than 8 3/4 so somethings off to be closer than before.jmo

The driveline in Chryslers are slightly to the right side.
Thats how they are. Ran into the same problem in my 70 Dart,same tire. Ended up using rims with a little more offset.

What rims are you using ?

..................Is it possible the bearing isnt pressed on all the way.....did u leave the spacer block in the diff?.................kim........

I have heard that Yukon axles have a thicker flange, what you could do is cut the spring perches off and move them over just enough to clearance both sides

Chrysler was not know for sweating the details about small issues like centering the rear end.

I'm going to agree with the answers of the rear not being centered factory. The rears were offset. But one of the things you pointed out was the 8.75 came out of another A-bod. That doesn't necessarily equate direct bolt-in. The Duster here originally had a 7.25. We came across an 8.75 out of a '68 Dart that a buddy of ours was scrapping. $50! Jackpot!
Got it home, unbolted the 7.25 and started measuring: the spring perch location was different between the two axles and the perches needed to be moved a hair.

Thank you Rameth for seeing what I said. Again,the entire driveline,engine,trans,rear end is shifted to the right. Dont know the exact amount,but it is.

And PLEASE dont cut the perches off your A-body axle !

Something to keep in mind,there is a little difference between 7.25 & 8.75 A-body axel measurements. However this slight difference has never stopped them from being a direct "bolt-in" procedure.

A=Backing plate to backing plate B=Spring perch to Spring perch
A B
1963-1972 7.25 53.200" 43.02"
1973-1976 7.25 51.400" 43.02"
All A-body 8.75 51.400" 43.00"

As you can see the 8.75 is actually .02 narrower than the 7.25

Your end play adjuster is on that side , sounds like bearing is not seated , tighten adjuster up snug, and back nut off four positions on the adjuster, might help depending on how much it is rubbing.

-
Back