what am I missing

-

Tadams

Tadams
Reaction score
The 65 225/6 i'm restoring has another problem. The last few days the temp in central N.C. has been in the low 70's so I have been working on the body of the barracuda. I thought I had solved this problem but it has come back. When I start the car I have to play with the gas pedal till it warms up to get it to run on its on. It doesn't run smooth but it will idle on its on. I can adjust the carb and get it to smooth out and run smooth. Then I cut it off let it cool and I'm back where I started. I have new plugs,wires, dist.cap and rotor button. The carb has been rebuilt. Its going to be in the 70's and I'm going to go out in the morning to do some more body work and would love to find the problem.
Any ideas. Please help!
Thanks

Sounds like a choke problem,when it cools off you have the same problem!Warmed up starts and Idles no problem?

the choke is wide open. its 70 degrees. but thanks.

The choke doesnt work off out outside air temp, it works off of engine temp.
It could be 85 degrees out side and if the car has set like over nite, the engine is cold(realitively) and the choke should snap shut when first starting.
You have a choke problem.

the choke is wide open. its 70 degrees. but thanks.

That's the problem. Sounds like the choke isn't closed/closed enough when "cold". I disconnected the choke on my /6 for the opposite reason. Mine would start and idle fine when cold but drive for 20 min then let it sit for 15 and try to start it....choke would be closed even if it were 80* out.

Engine temp forecast :) for the sake of this conversation
at temp = thermostat opens (160,180,185,190)
warm = 125 - 160*
cold < 125*

Took me a while to figure out that the choke would be cool enough to close at over 100* (bad choke stove thermostat)

Carb rebuild kits dont include a new vacuum operated choke pull. That may be all you need. Good luck

The other guys are right on with the choke. You may have other problems with your "rebuilt"carb??? We will see.
Frank

definite choke problem. thermostat spring length, pull off or sumpin.

I got the same problem with my Valiant. It will usually start up fine when the engine is cold, but when it gets hot you better be careful where you put the throttle pedal or it will be hell to get going. It also spits and sputters at idle regardless of engine temp, and it will stall if you give it too much gas when the engine is not warm enough. I feel that all of this is due to a crappy choke element or pull off, but I am going to pull out the plugs and read them in the am and see what else I may find. :toothy10:

I have a similar problem. Mine will start fine after sitting a few days (after a few pumps of the pedal) and will idle smooth until it warms up. Then it sputters and spits and eventually stalls, unless you feather the pedal to keep it going. Is this also a choke problem?

sounds more like a problem in the idle circuit,ie: dirt or mixture way lean,pull idle mixture screw/screws and hit the passages with carb cleaner,reinstall screws and back them out to 2 1/2 turns then use a vacume gauge to fine tune it looking for the highest vacume reading or engine speed then readjust to recomended idle rpm

-
Back