What are the 340 weaknesses?

-

340Dust-her

Reaction score
As of now I plan to ride it till late summer then send it off for paint and work on the 340 in the garage. It's an original 340 from a 68' barricuda. It has good compression in all cylinders and head gaskets appear to be good. Aside from valve seats anything else? If anyone would like to throw some suggestions as far as mods go, heads/cam(budget) with stock compression please do so. Thanks

Use the best quality head gaskets you can find and good gasoline,good valve springs and Whooooo Hooooo!!!!

I would upgrade the pistons to some sort of performance ones. Flat top hypereutectics like the KB243 are not budget busters and will help performance overall. Have unleaded seats and new guides installed. Just good solid machine work and you're fine.

The heads should have a letter right next to the spark plugs. In this case, it should be an "X."
As far a suggestion goes, give me a base on which I can suggest from. In example, the target or what the car is mainly used for. Cruiser, hot street, street stripper (Red light bandit)

Also, what trans and rear gear.

The basic 340 package is preety good to start with.

The weakness of the 340 is mostly cost to get. After that, the biggest issue IMO though it's not really, is lack of torque (Short stroke engine) and intake valves to large (2.02) These are quickly overcome with the introduction of RPM's. Which the 340 is best known for.

Good point. It will be a street car, however I'd like to keep up with stangs. I streetable 350-400hp(not rwhp). The 904 has been rebuilt with heavy duty kit. 3.55 rear gears. I'm guessing these motors are best by idle and 5500rpm? Converters and brands are welcome too!

5500 rpm is when she just starts to gittin
Good point. It will be a street car, however I'd like to keep up with stangs. I streetable 350-400hp(not rwhp). The 904 has been rebuilt with heavy duty kit. 3.55 rear gears. I'm guessing these motors are best by idle and 5500rpm? Converters and brands are welcome too!

Having owned several 340's i've never found any weaknesses with them,now i've never had a 72' and up but the '68-'71's came with forged crank,forged rods,forged pistons(although kind of heavy) very good foundation to start with right from the factory...

I run a similar setup 340/904 with Hughes 3500 converter. I run a 7000 rpm pill in my MSD box. As you've probably just read, at 5500 the party's just getting started 8)

I actually advanced my cam centerline to get some rev's out of my motor. It really woke it up. I run a stock "J" head with 2.02 valves.

Down side for my motor, it needs really good gas or it detonates. I would caution anyone about skimming the heads or anything else that will raise compression on a 340 unless they know the motor well.

Another current 340 thread; http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=86226

Stroked You aint kidding.
I have seen inside a '73 with the lower compresion pistons. They don't help matters much, but the rest of the package was still there for the most part.

Dust-Her, would you mind porting the heads?
The basic Edelbrock RPM package before they came out with there heads for the small block Chryslers were touted at 392 HP with there cam. I'm not a big fan of there cam myself.

I'd look to Lunati or Huges for a decent 340 street cam to replace the Edelbrock cam in the package. Match it up to there valve springs. Bowl port the head, use the rest of the RPM package on top with tti headers.
(I know there pricey, but there superior.)

They (Edelbrock) also replaced the pistons. Moper has a good suggestion. I like a zero deck flat top myself. (KB-107's or Fed-MNougal's HP116 slugs. But there Hyper-U's, not fordged.)

A converter would be based on alot of factors, starting with the cam used. Once you figure out what cam is going in and you know the cars weight, final gear ratio (I know you said 3.55's) and other info, a converter can choice can be made.

Since I'm not a big automatic trans guy, I'd look at a pro shop for advice. Someone like Dynamic or other pro shops. Your gonna have to tell them alot about the car before they sell you one or make one for you. This is an area that it pays to pay.

I'm a 340 guy. The only draw back I've found is the cost to aquire one. Mopar makes short blocks, fresh castings I believe. It's the short block only and they cost $5500.
Nowadays you can pick up a 408 stroker complete for about the same price.

Just depends on the "gotta have it" or wishing I had it factor. =P~

My buddy's 68 cuda 340 4 speed gets up and goes!!! It's hard to stay below 4k on the tach......it just sounds so good at 6k +!!!

Factory heads as cast will support 350-400hp witht eh right cam. Change the pistons and ge the static ratio up to a true 9.8:1. Stick a modern cam like the XE268 or Lunati 60403, have the heads done to accept dual springs and psoitive seals, and you're done. 350-400hp even thru the factory manifolding. Nothing crazy.

The replies are phenominal! Thank you all so much. I had no idea Chrysler motors were high rpm motors. I'm no stranger to forged eternals. I had a forged aluminum piston/rod set up on a sbc and it holds extremely well. I'd like to keep and refurbish the crank, everything else is a go. Don't mind TRW forged units. I'm guessing the cylinder walls are thick enough to bore over .030?. I would def have the heads rebuilt unless it'd be smarter to spend an additional 1-$200 for aftermarket heads.
I guess what would help is to know the peak powerband for these motors in street(weekend strip use)? I'm guessing moly rings are best unless you guys think it's overkill. No power adders, just would like to run on pump gas.

The replies are phenominal! Thank you all so much. I had no idea Chrysler motors were high rpm motors. I'm no stranger to forged eternals. I had a forged aluminum piston/rod set up on a sbc and it holds extremely well. I'd like to keep and refurbish the crank, everything else is a go. Don't mind TRW forged units. I'm guessing the cylinder walls are thick enough to bore over .030?. I would def have the heads rebuilt unless it'd be smarter to spend an additional 1-$200 for aftermarket heads.
I guess what would help is to know the peak powerband for these motors in street(weekend strip use)? I'm guessing moly rings are best unless you guys think it's overkill. No power adders, just would like to run on pump gas.

HEY! Thanks from myself and on behalf of the group, I hope we get passing grades.
FYI
A short stroke engine is a natural high RPM engine. AKA 273/318/340 with there 3.31 stroke and the 350/361/383/400 B engines with there slightly bigger stroke @ 3.38.
The longer stroked S/B comes in at 3.58 and the lovely aftermarket arms with the most popular being a 4 incher.
The big blocks 426/440 come in @ 3.75.

You may find TRW slugs heavy. Shop around and look up weights. Less is better. On overbores, yes, .030 is a shoe in, .060 should be sonic checked first.

Hensley Performance is takeing 318 (3.91 bore) engines and sonic checking them to be sure there good. IF there found to be in good shape, they take'em to a 4.00 bore and give them a 4 inch arm. That's a .090 overbore.

Not all smnall blocks can take that and live happily ever after. In overboreing, less is better for stronger cylinder walls. Non flexing walls is good for sealing up the mix and making power.

Spending 1200+ dolors on aluminum heads is a catch 22. While many will balk at it, because you can take your iron head preety damn far for less, it is a bolt on deal in general. They should be looked at by a pro shop and double checked for the little things mass produced places don't allways look hard at. Valve seat run out, correctly assembled diamentions, etc.....

So those aluminum heads, if not perfect out of the box, could cost even more money. Not such a good deal sometimes. Mine were fine and worked well though.

Your J heads can flow enuff air to make a serious screamer.

OH, Moly rings are just fine and standard in my rebuilds. Why not? What the heck. Fast seating/sealing. win win!

Street guys power bands are a constant variable and are preety much a end user item for there desire. Nevermind there desire, what's yours? Target it, shoot it, enjoy it.
Theres allways somebody faster. If it helps, target a time frame, AKA 1/4 mile time. Build it for that.

In general, most hot rods/street machines operate in the 1800 - 5800 to 2500 - 65000 rpm band. IMO, this is an ideal hot rod area. Though many drivers exceed this by 500 to a 1,000 rpm's, that's there choice.
Theres also a old addage that still remains true to this day. Years back, someone coined the phrase, High perfromance = high maintainance. The more power you make, the more parts will break.

Don't forget the ARP rod bolts! I say it's a must have. One of those "just in case" times.

True 10:1(your stock motor only has 9.4 eassh even though it was rated as higher.)
Lunati 403 cam
Head rebuild with new guides and Valves w/Nail head intake valves and a 3 angle valve job(will allow the head to flow better then before)

On a budget keep that Iron intake and Exh manifold...............I would go with the air gap manifold and headers

Note: headers are a PITA, but they are a grate kick in the pants over manifolds

TQ is an option, at this point but if you want to keep the stangs at bay.......your going to need more stall then stock as well as intake and headers.

I just remember growing up that all the racers would balk at racing you if they new you had a 340. I remember a guy with a '70 Duster in prolly '74 or '75 that had my pops grind off the "U" castings. They were off a AAR motor.
He told everybody it was a bored out 318. That car was Quick. :snakeman:

Excellent information. Thank you for being patient. I will certainly take this up very soon. Looks like I'll keep the heads and have them install new valves, seats, seals and work in dual valvesprings. Should I stay with stock intake/exhaust diameters? Probably won't port. I'm guessing rod length for 340's are 6.123? I'm guessing stock pushrods length would work with the cams some of you suggested? Probably keeping stock rocker arms unless they're worn out. I also forgot to mention that I have an edelbrock rpm manifold and 650 holley double barrel. I'll def be on a lookout for a quality engine builder when the time comes. I just want to be well informed about mopar engines. Been a sbc guy :D

the stock CAST pistons are very heavy.........

yes,as is the rest of the rotating mass. I'd do the hyper's for a street car,some aftermarket rods and lighten up the crank counterweights some. This should help it to rev quicker.Im sure it would not be a big problem to balance as most of the weight loss would be the pistons and rods. Shaving the counterweight may also assist in the balancing if done correctly. Dont take it to a chevy guy,lol...Then it will be as weak as a chevy 8).

-
Back