What are these intake holes for?

-

jonn6464

1970 Duster
Reaction score
Hey FABO!

I was hoping y'all could shed some light on the purpose for the 7 holes (circled in yellow) on the intake below.

Engine is a 318.

I have the temp sensor for hole #1. I am assuming that #2 & #3 are also temp sensor holes, just different sizes. If not, please correct me.

How about the rest? Especially #5 & #6.

Thank you for any replies.

upload_2022-4-11_10-44-7.png

1-2 & 7 are water holes. There rear one gets plugged, 1 or 2 get used for the heater core, plug the other.
3 is the temp sender
4 is for power brake vacuum, cam be plugged or you have the power brakes connected to the carb.
5 & 6 are for mounting the coil bracket. These are level for the after market bracket. The factory bracket will work.

If you wanted to run a temp sensor, then the drivers rear water port might be of use.

Great, thank you very much.

Just wondering, would #7 be an option for the temp sensor? I'm talking about the sensor that sends a reading to the dash gauge.
Is that what you are saying in your last sentence?

Just wondering, would #7 be an option for the temp sensor? I'm talking about the sensor that sends a reading to the dash gauge.
Is that what you are saying in your last sentence?
I would not use 7. In my opinion, you want the water close to leaving the engine for the sender. any of the "up front" ports 1, 2, or 3.

#4 would alternately be for the vacuum gauge, if you had that option (rally dash).

Just wondering, would #7 be an option for the temp sensor?
Yes. I personally would not use it since the stock one is fine. The #7 port would be for an aftermarket unit.
I'm talking about the sensor that sends a reading to the dash gauge.
Why?

I would not use 7. In my opinion, you want the water close to leaving the engine for the sender. any of the "up front" ports 1, 2, or 3.
Exactly. #3 is for the stock sending unit. #2 & #1 is for the heater core hose attachment nipple. It is possible to use ether one with an aftermarket sending unit. Again, I wouldn’t bother. Unless it was a race car or the stock gauge is broken.

I would need the aftermarket unit in hand to see which outlet I fits and what I need for a heater core attachment. AKA, to see what is possible or not. Aftermarket temp sending units are normally very big next to the stock temp sender. Often requiring an additional fitting that screws into the intake and then the sender into it.

-
Back