what are they teaching kids these days?...

-

Backtobasics

Reaction score
8 year old was out the the garage with me last night, helping clean work bench so I can rebuild the 1945 series carb for the Dart.

He is sitting on the bench, and I am talking about what the carb is, what it does, etc. I was explaining the difference between the small 1 barrel, and the larger 4 barrels that I have on the shelf, and their effect on power and mileage.

A few minutes later the wife comes out, and he promptly explains to her that we are building the smaller carb because it gets better miles per gallon and is better for the environment.:roll:

I never used the word environment, it must be the "learning" that he is getting in school. :read2:.

Jezz. Now I not only have to train him on how and when performance is appropriate, I also have to train him in the high performance way...:evil4:

I think the definition of 'Environment' in the new dictionary is ALL THAT IS HOLY.

The definition of 'Muscle Car' is TOOL OF SATAN.

I edited that totally wrong lol. Just going to delete it all together. Was trying to say that its good that your son put two and two together there.

As a CONSERATIVE. I respect the environment and do my part. Nobody likes this stuff shoved down their throats.

Good for you, as hard as I have tried, my son has no interest in cars other than where the car keys are.

Regardless of the terms used or gallons consumed, I applaud you for teaching your son about your Dart. :-D

I'll have to take ESP's reply as sarcasim, I couldn't read it any other way. LOL

Let me also say and agree that the direction of and in teaching todays youth is very different than what we went through. I think I can see a little mind actualy working there putting togther a 1 + 1 = 2 even though you did n't say anything of the sort.
It is easy to see his mind was working.

When a little one comes up with such things o there own from learning things ealse where, this is a good thing. In the future,, he'll do good.

I'm also with the chick on showing the young fella about the car. Good job!

GOOD FOR YOU!-AND YOR BOY! Nowadays kids need direction & a pasttime that can challenge them. You obviously figured that out & your boy is seeing that the old stuff/ways have their place & can work for him.
Wish my Dad had been that far-sighted......

I am proud of his mind, he is analytical to say the least.
I am proud that he does give a damn about the world we live in, his wording is what I thought sounded so funny, like an infomercial.

I didn't have the dad in the picture, and I SWORE my kids would not miss out. We took 15 minutes to clean the bench, he sat up there, and I talked him through it. I might find one in a JY and let him rebuild it, just so he has some hands on, and can say he did it himself.

YEA! (Shakes fist in the air) Bully for you BTB! (Points and waves finger at BTB for all to see!) Good job! My son and I have had this sit down and turn wrench time as well.
I have him pictured a few times here doing all sorts of things from Scraping rust on the usters floor, rebuilding a AFB, sanding down the nose of my Cuda. He don't like body work much. Just like Dad, give me an engine to tinker with. Oh yea, that too. I asked him what ya wanna do today and he said "Tinker with the engine"
He selected a dualquad set up to play with.

Teach'em young and well. They'll have respect and a possible love for these confounded machines. And maybe, one of there own one day. Done right.

It's funny that you mention that, but I think with all of the "green" talk nowadays he can't help but think of the enviroment. Now, it's our job to show them how to enjoy the hobby and still keep it green. Nella, Ian and I also had the carbeurator talk a little while back, when Nella won her prizes in the Young Guns contest. She won a carb from on of our members and she wanted to know what it was and how we could use it on her car. It was a fun lesson to share with the kids, and with a little humor and some kid sized comparisons, my kids now know how a carb works!! Of course, now Nella wants to use it on her car cause she realizes she only has a 2 bbl and she won a big Thermoquad, but we are going to use it on the van project!!! Teach your children well!!! And above all, enjoy sharing everything with them!!! Geof

From what I can see, your kids will learn more truth at your side than they will with a "teacher" in the government schools. Always encourage them to ask questions and not take anything as truth until they know how to research and separate fact from opinion. Our public schools these days are a disgrace. Too politically correct and too little scientific thought to weed out the B.S. As a side note, I found it interesting one day when a neighbor kid walked into the garage and asked what time it was. I was under the car and just told him that the clock was on the wall. He looked at it for a while and said he couldn't figure it out. You see, my clock has hands, all the ones in his school are digital. He was never taught to read an analog clock! Incredible.....both the teachers and parents dropped the ball on this one.

I learned a lot from my dad, at 8 I was helping dad inspect cars

sure miss my dad.

Keep up the good work and teach him right, he will be able to take care of himself.

I don't understand any boy not wanting to learn about cars. It was all I thought about, THINGS HAVEN'T CHANGED TOO MUCH IN THE LAST 45 YEARS, it is still about all I think about.

From what I can see, your kids will learn more truth at your side than they will with a "teacher" in the government schools. Always encourage them to ask questions and not take anything as truth until they know how to research and separate fact from opinion. Our public schools these days are a disgrace. Too politically correct and too little scientific thought to weed out the B.S. As a side note, I found it interesting one day when a neighbor kid walked into the garage and asked what time it was. I was under the car and just told him that the clock was on the wall. He looked at it for a while and said he couldn't figure it out. You see, my clock has hands, all the ones in his school are digital. He was never taught to read an analog clock! Incredible.....both the teachers and parents dropped the ball on this one.

So true. I work for a school district.

I applaud you for spending the time with your kids, and teaching them about performance. When my son was younger, around eleven, I bought a 80 Z28 with a bad trans. The body was completely rust free and the motor ran good. Together, we added Cam, intake, carb, and headers to the motor (350). But it was my son's job to rebuild the TH350 trans. I talked him through it and he did all of the work. Little did I know this would start him on a quest for performance. After a stint in the Marine Corps, he is now a 26 year old combat wounded disabled veteran. He is also working at his dream job, He works for Steve Morris Engines, building ProCharged racing engines.

chris_n_z28.jpg

chris_n_rick_posing_with_darts.jpg

chriscleaningwagon.jpg

-
Back