What are we doing wrong?

-

cpthowdy1369

Reaction score
Hey guys, my stepfather and I are replacing the 7 1/4 rear in his 72 dart with an 8 3/4,(3.23 gears, 489 case) open gear rearend. We are at the stage where we are installing the axles and backing plates. My stepfather bought Yukon axles from Mancini Racing to be installed. We installed the passenger side with no difficulty but we are having some trouble with the driver side. The axle will not sit all the way in to the housing when pushed into the tube. Everything looks like it should, but we cant get it to go all of the way in. The axle sticks out about 1 1/2 -2inches and refuses to be pushed in any further.

The axles are the same length, aren't they? Were these axles designed to only work with some sort of suregrip? Any ideas on what's going on?

thanks for all of your help guys.

You need to remove the thrust block from the differential. The Yukon axles are set up to run without one. Not sure how to do this since I haven't done it myself yet, but I'm sure someone will chime in with a how to.

You need to remove the thrust block from the differential. The Yukon axles are set up to run without one. Not sure how to do this since I haven't done it myself yet, but I'm sure someone will chime in with a how to.

Wasn't that thrust button only in the sure grips?

If the open rears have the button, that is your problem.

Hey guys, my stepfather and I are replacing the 7 1/4 rear in his 72 dart with an 8 3/4,(3.23 gears, 489 case) open gear rearend. We are at the stage where we are installing the axles and backing plates. My stepfather bought Yukon axles from Mancini Racing to be installed. We installed the passenger side with no difficulty but we are having some trouble with the driver side. The axle will not sit all the way in to the housing when pushed into the tube. Everything looks like it should, but we cant get it to go all of the way in. The axle sticks out about 1 1/2 -2inches and refuses to be pushed in any further.

The axles are the same length, aren't they? Were these axles designed to only work with some sort of suregrip? Any ideas on what's going on?

Measure from the inside of the differential { the thrust axle } look inside the tube with a flash light measure both sides out to the step where the bearing would stop measure your axles I belive there is a 3/4 "" diff in the stock axles side to side ill go check a set I have and get back to you~
Scott

both of my axles measure 28 1/8 from front of axle flange to tip of axle splines{ where wheel would mount} No lenght diff ~

I do know that I have the Sure Grip and I had to cut 3/8" off of the each axle. This way I didn't have take the Sure Grip carrier apart.

i am almost for sure the thrust block is on open diffs to. i just worked on a 70 charger with a open 8 3/4 with it

Would the thrust block keep the axle out 1 1/2 inches? The thrust button I have on my bench, the part that would stick out is .132 (1/8"). Also, as I understand it if you use green bearings, the thrust buttons must go.

Did you install new seals? If so, are they both in as far as they are supposed to be. In the housing, measure from the flange to the seal. Should be the same on both sides. If not then wither the seal isn't seated inside where it needs to be, or, worse case, someone forgot to take out the old seal before installing the new one. Ask me how I know!!!

Larry

Did you install new seals? If so, are they both in as far as they are supposed to be. In the housing, measure from the flange to the seal. Should be the same on both sides. If not then wither the seal isn't seated inside where it needs to be, or, worse case, someone forgot to take out the old seal before installing the new one. Ask me how I know!!!

Larry

that's funny. thats exactly what happened to me but i pulled out the extra seal and fixed that problem but the axle still wont go in all of the way.

Thanks for all of your help guys, we will go see what we can do about that thrust button and I'll keep you guys posted about what happens. Thanks again.

that's funny. thats exactly what happened to me but i pulled out the extra seal and fixed that problem but the axle still wont go in all of the way.

Thanks for all of your help guys, we will go see what we can do about that thrust button and I'll keep you guys posted about what happens. Thanks again.

If you are not going to use green bearing don't remove the thrust block!

Keep us posted.

-
Back